Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quote:
The woman beaten on her wedding night is speaking out about the reasons why a groom would beat up his woman on their wedding night. “I thought I was going to die. He looked like he was going to kill me,” says 22-year-old Amy Dawson from Britain. Amy is the woman who was so horrifically beaten by the groom on her wedding night that she was left with a cut eyebrow and bruises to her face and chest, according to a Feb. 17 Canada Journal report,

Amy Dawson and the groom, 29-year-old Gavin Golightly, had been long-term partners and were looking forward to a romantic wedding night. Last August, the couple decided to get married in County Durham. The couple had a fairy-tale wedding at St Mary’s church in West Rainton and a reception at the Beamish Hall hotel where they planned to spend their romantic wedding night.

However, romance turned into rage when Amy asked her new husband to help her take off her wedding dress but he was unable to do so. The details of the horrific rage attack during the couple's wedding night came to light during a recent court hearing.

“Prosecutor Sarah Traynor told Peterlee Magistrates Court that they went to their room just after midnight, with Miss Dawson having to be helped by a hotel porter. ‘The defendant then tried to undo Miss Dawson’s dress,’ she added. The bride had a crochet hook to unfasten the buttons but Golightly refused to use it. ‘The defendant then jumped up from his chair, approached Miss Dawson and pushed her over,’ said Mrs Traynor. ‘He then sat on top of her and started punching her with clenched fists’.”

Despite the brutal wedding night beating of his bride, the groom is not facing any jail time. Golightly pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm but claimed that he had been drugged and that he really could not remember the attack. Instead of any jail time, he received some fines, a community order to undergo supervision for two years, and a restraining order.

Amy does not consider the verdict sufficient and filed for divorce. She is happy about the restraining order but continues to be concerned.

“The community order was far too soft. The restraining order is the only thing keeping me strong. He means nothing to me now.”

Looking back, Amy realizes that she missed the warning signs that came before her wedding night.

“He was caring and loving, and when we found we were having baby, we were delighted. I fell pregnant after eight months, but almost straight away, Gavin became controlling and manipulative. It was like walking on eggshells.”

Should Amy have realized earlier that she was in an abusive relationship? For the British woman, the wake-up call came when she was beaten up on her wedding night.

source

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
I hope she can get an annulment and full custody of the child. Wish she had seen him for what he was long before, but at least she sees it now. I hope she can get out before he kills her or her baby.

Lonely Browser

what a pathetic pos. i hope he gets the s**t beat out of him by someone who struggles to help his a**.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
He was "drugged". I think maybe too drunk. Or maybe he wasn't either or (from the sounds of his previous behavior) and just using it as an excuse for acting like an angry chimpanzee. What a freak!

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Yikes,I hope she gets the help she needs to keep her and the baby safe soon.D:

Interesting Fairy

15,340 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Athlete 50
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Drugged...Drunk... and sexually frustrated.

T o bad she forever stuck with this man because of their child.

13,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Dear England, kindly get your half-retarded, misogynistic s**t together.

Sincerely, even America wouldn't fall for that bullshit excuse.

Philosophizing Otaku

16,150 Points
  • Egg Collector 100
  • Team Moira 200
  • Falling For You 25
Seriously, this kinda s**t again? And it was on her wedding day too....

I hope she doesn't get blamed for 'not stopping him' before he ended up beating her, but I am glad she has a restraining order against him at least. I hope she gets full custody of the kid, and he never enters her life again.

....But we all know that he'll probably end up stalking and torturing her to no end, and then try to kill her in some way (maybe?).

No one deserves to be treated like that, especially a pregnant woman on her wedding day by her to-be husband. cat_mad

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
It seems like when there is a story like this in the US there is always some UK person jumping in to bash us with some sort of "cuz America" type of post about how violent we are.
America has its share of assholes but we don't have a monopoly on them.
We apparently also do not have the monopoly on sometimes letting the criminal get off too lightly.

Anyway I hope this woman gets some counseling and learns how to recognize those warning signs sooner in the future and finds someone she can truly be happy with.
It seems a little weird she was with him for years and only noticed him being controlling and such towards the end.

Conservative Genius

6,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
oghenk
We must maintain constant vigilance for the lurking domestic enemies of our Bill of Rights.

And what does that have to do with this story? Please just leave Gaia already. Nobody's going to you the attention you want.

Sparkly Star

15,150 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Love Machine 150
  • Partygoer 500
Alexander J Luthor

And this is coming from a country that allows gun violence and morbid obesity.

Magical Bunny

14,350 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Hero 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
shouldn't of married him in the 1st place sounds kinda like she knew what he was like & didn't listen til he beat her up hopefully she gets custody of her child. evil

Swashbuckling Inquisitor

12,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
SilverStar_Karuminu
Alexander J Luthor

And this is coming from a country that allows gun violence and morbid obesity.

At least the U.S. doesn't have rampant rape gang activity...

Punny Skeleton

David2074

It seems a little weird she was with him for years and only noticed him being controlling and such towards the end.

One of my cousins was with a man for seven years. First five he was the perfect gentleman, during the last couple of years though he got addicted to booze and his personality did a 180. Thank goodness she's not with him anymore, but it's still sad to think of the man he used to be.

Point is anything at anytime can happen to cause a person to become abusive, no matter how much of a sweetie pie they were when you met them. That is by no mean an excuse, but I can understand why the woman didn't notice any changes to her ex until near the end.

That, and love really does make people blind.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff