Welcome to Gaia! ::

Russia will respond if its interests in Ukraine are attacked, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said, drawing a parallel with the 2008 Georgian war.

Speaking to Russian state TV channel RT, Mr Lavrov also accused the US of "running the show" in Ukraine - a claim Washington dismissed as "ludicrous".

Russia's foreign ministry also repeated its call for Kiev to withdraw military units from the east of Ukraine.

Ukraine's government faces an armed revolt there by pro-Russia separatists.

Kiev and the West say Moscow commands gunmen in eastern Ukraine - something Russia denies.
'Aggressive rhetoric'

In recent weeks, pro-Russian militants have seized administrative buildings in at least a dozen towns in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.

They have installed their own officials, in similar tactics to those used to take over the Ukrainian region of Crimea earlier this year.

The US has called on Moscow to ask pro-Russian gunmen to lay down their weapons and leave public buildings. It has also urged Russia to tone down its aggressive rhetoric or face further sanctions.

The Kiev authorities responded to the occupation of official buildings and roadblocks by carrying out an "anti-terror" operation in eastern Ukraine.

The military operation became bogged down and was suspended over the Easter period before resuming on Tuesday.

The internal affairs ministry now says it has "freed" the town of Sviatohirsk, north of rebel-held Sloviansk, of pro-Russian armed groups.

No-one was hurt, it said. The ministry's claim has not yet been independently confirmed.
'Like in Georgia'

In his interview with Russia Today, Mr Lavrov said it was "quite telling" that Kiev had re-launched its "anti-terrorist" operation in the east on Tuesday during a visit by US Vice-President Joe Biden.

"If our interests, our legitimate interests, the interests of Russians have been attacked directly, like they were in South Ossetia for example, I do not see any other way but to respond in full accordance with international law," Mr Lavrov said.

Russian fought a brief war with Georgia in the summer of 2008 after Georgia sent troops into the breakaway region of South Ossetia to regain control from the Russian-backed rebels.

Responding to Mr Lavrov's interview, US state department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said "many" of his claims "are ludicrous and... not based in fact".

Thousands of Russian troops have massed along Ukraine's borders in recent weeks.

Mr Lavrov also reiterated accusations that Kiev had failed to fulfil commitments laid out in the 17 April Geneva accord designed to end the crisis.

The Russian foreign ministry statement accused Kiev and the West of distorting the agreement, which called for illegal armed groups to be disarmed.

The ministry said the West insisted only on the need for pro-Russian groups to put down their weapons.

Unrest began in Ukraine last November over whether the country should look towards Moscow or the West.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27124453

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
This just keeps getting worse by the day.

Kawaii Girl

God Emperor Baldur
Speaking to Russian state TV channel RT, Mr Lavrov also accused the US of "running the show" in Ukraine - a claim Washington dismissed as "ludicrous".

Quote:
Kiev and the West say Moscow commands gunmen in eastern Ukraine - something Russia denies.
'Aggressive rhetoric'

I DON'T KNOW WHO'S COMMANDING 'WHO' ANYMORE!

Blessed Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Magical Girl 50
Darth Acheron

Indeed sad

Revered Guardian

26,550 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
StephyA
Darth Acheron

Indeed sad
I have a feeling this is going to start a war..

Blessed Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Magical Girl 50
Darth Acheron
StephyA
Darth Acheron

Indeed sad

I can agree with this if things keep on getting worse and neither side backs off

Kawaii Girl

Darth Acheron
StephyA
Darth Acheron

Indeed sad
Civil War, maybe. Anything above that is being a bit overcautious.
How many Russian Politicians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

None. It's America's fault that it isn't working anyways.

Quote:
'Aggressive rhetoric'

I'd take this statement a lot more seriously had Putin not recently admitted that the masked, unmarked Gunmen in Crimea were, in fact, Russian Troops.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

They are Russian, we all know they are Russian, and if Putin get's his way, he'll admit a month or so down the line that they were Russian.

Quote:

I'll eat my hat if they don't both have their hands in the pot.
Darth Acheron

A Civil War in Ukraine with America and Russia using the two sides as Rokem Sokem Robots?

Possible.

A global war between Russia/US and their respective allies?

We'll see.

We made it through the Cold War, and it was more intense than this.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff