Welcome to Gaia! ::

Demonic Hunter

Gang Rape Victim With Multiple Sclerosis Says Police Ignored Her

http://jezebel.com/gang-rape-victim-with-multiple-sclerosis-says-police-ig-1550927826/all

Quote:
A rape victim with multiple sclerosis says police refused to take her report seriously.

According to NBC New York, a woman named "Kris" (who asked her identity not to be revealed) says she was beaten, kidnapped and raped following a bus ride in New Jersey.

The alleged victim, who asked to be identified only as Kris, said she fell asleep on a bus on Dec. 5 and wound up lost in downtown Trenton. She got off the bus and tried to look for her route back home to Hamilton when a man began to follow her. Then everything went black, she said. She woke up inside an abandoned house on Farragut Avenue, on a mattress on the floor, surrounded by dishes and garbage.

"You know when you get a new mattress and it has that plastic sheet on it? I remember that, and my leg hitting plates and dishes and you heard clinking sounds or whatever, and someone was on top of me," Kris said. She said one of the two men was extremely violent, continuously striking her face and covering her mouth.
When the rapists finally left, Kris tried to seek help from strangers on the street.

"Three or four people I first saw, and they wouldn't give me the time of day," she said. "And then I saw four people across the street and … they told me to go away."

Eventually a restaurant owner helped her called 911. She was taken to Robert Wood Johnson Medical Center in Hamilton. Despite a series of violent injuries, hospital staff discharged her and told her to seek an oral surgeon. That's also when police began to investigate her rape, but not before the case was shifted from department to department due to jurisdictional issues. Kris wasn't interviewed formally by police until Dec. 23, almost two weeks after the incident occurred. Kris told NBC a detective from Trenton and a Mercer County Prosecutor questioned her about being prostitute of a drug addict. Funny, considering that literally has ******** all to do with her being raped.

She told them that she was a multiple sclerosis patient on a medical pain patch prescribed by her doctor in part for a spine injury she suffered from an MS-related seizure. Her longtime doctor confirmed to NBC 4 New York he'd prescribed a narcotics patch, Fentanyl, due to the injury.
Over the next couple of weeks, Kris's mom and Trenton police were in contact by phone. But Kris and her mother said Trenton police did not meet with her in person until Dec. 23, nearly three weeks after the alleged attack.

Kris says she gave a detailed account of what she remembered about the rape, but says the detectives began a hostile form of questioning and that they treated it like "it was a big joke and a waste of time."
"A big joke and a waste of time." What victim deserves to feel this way?

The rest of Kris's description of her police interaction is horrifying and depressing.

"When he asked his partner if there was one question they would like to ask, the one and only question he could come up with, out of everything in the book, was: 'Did you voluntarily pull down the man's pants before he raped you?'" said Kris.
"They tag-teamed," said Kris. "'Was I out there soliciting? Was I out there buying drugs? Why did I get off the bus at that spot?'"
[...]
"'You sure about her MS?' That's all they kept asking me," said Kris' mother. "'Are you sure she didn't fall and this isn't MS?' They wanted to turn everything around, make her the victim all over again, and it was crap. Plain and simple crap. They didn't want to do their job."
Kris has no criminal record for drugs or prostitution. Her only criminal case involves a shoplifting, which was dismissed.

So what exactly is taking so long to investigate the gang rape of a woman with multiple sclerosis? Prosecutors say they are waiting for DNA results.

The prosecutor's office said the rape kit taken on Dec. 5 was sent out for testing on Jan. 2. Sperm and pubic hairs were discovered, but DNA results are still not in.

WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN??? It is disgusting and infuriating.

6,850 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
I fell asleep on a bus once, I'm glad I didn't have to go through a nightmare like that... and then having fail!cops treat her like s**t... just what the ********. I want their badges so I can shove them up their asses. mad

Fluffy Lovergirl

13,225 Points
  • Divorced 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
This is extremely sad. Is this what cops do to get their kicks?!

Sparkly Fairy

Rape culture at it's ******** finest.
I really hate the world sometimes. That poor woman.

Dedicated Student

They should be charged as accessories to the crime. Obviously they were trying to cover up the rape.

Suicidal Sweets
Rape culture at it's ******** finest.
I really hate the world sometimes. That poor woman.

Oh but rape culture doesn't exist. It's femanazi propaganda.

Sparkly Fairy

Lupa Fangs Makucha

I honestly can't tell if your joking or not.

Dedicated Student

Suicidal Sweets
Lupa Fangs Makucha

I honestly can't tell if your joking or not.

I am sorry. I am sarcastically agreeing with you. ^.^'

Sparkly Fairy

Lupa Fangs Makucha

I thought so, and you bring up a good point.
True, people do make Rape Culture out to be some 'mystical fake fairy tail' made my feminists when it's sitting right in front of them that it exists and they contribute to it everyday.
siiigh the world was made to disappoint me it seems.

Dedicated Student

Suicidal Sweets
Lupa Fangs Makucha

I thought so, and you bring up a good point.
True, people do make Rape Culture out to be some 'mystical fake fairy tail' made my feminists when it's sitting right in front of them that it exists and they contribute to it everyday.
siiigh the world was made to disappoint me it seems.

Rape culture doesn't only affect women either. It affects men too just līke it does women. Although the reasoning to why men and women's rape reports are ignored do differ, but they still get ignored.

Sparkly Fairy

Lupa Fangs Makucha

Exactly!
Like it doesn't just effect women why are you all ignoring these issues they're your problem too.

Honestly I've learned that even trying to educate people on the issue tends to end up badly so I don't know what to do anymore. Like no one believes me when I tell them these problems exist.

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
This is ******** disgusting. She should at the very least out which cops she talked to. Aggressive line of questioning to a rape victim? What the hell is wrong with them? Why are they acting like it's her fault and that she's making s**t up? What the ever loving hell? And to the people on the street who didn't help her...shame on them! This poor woman had to go through the hell she did, then suffer being turned away for help, and when she finally did get help, everyone involved acts like she's full of s**t. What do you want to bet the police department lost the ******** rape kit? Why hasn't the department commented on any of this? Are they so full of themselves that they think they can brush this behavior under the rug? Those cops should be fired, or at the very least, suspended WITHOUT PAY for a couple of months while they get some goddamn sensitivity training that THEY SHOULD PAY FOR in order to keep their jobs, as well as suffer a demotion to ******** beat work and cut hours. This behavior should never, EVER be acceptable from a cop. And it's a given the rapists should be castrated, then released into general pop with a tattoo of what they've done on their ******** forehead and let the lifers deal with 'em.
did they ignore her or are they overworked?

they should prob stop the working on the war on drugs and instead focus on more legit crime like this imo

i feel esp sorry for her being ill and having to go through with all that

i mean what do you do at this point tho? she can maybe get revenge herself? but then i wonder what sort of punishment do the rapists need?

egg their house then leave some feminist literature on the doorstep?

i dont like the justice system pretty much for any part of it

the police are useless

prison doesnt help

and yeah if i was a victim i'd want someone to lend a hand but i don't trust our 'justice' system

Dedicated Student

Suicidal Sweets
Lupa Fangs Makucha

Exactly!
Like it doesn't just effect women why are you all ignoring these issues they're your problem too.

Honestly I've learned that even trying to educate people on the issue tends to end up badly so I don't know what to do anymore. Like no one believes me when I tell them these problems exist.

I know how you feel. Just about all my friends and me have been raped, but when we try to report it nada. When I was actually questioned I was confused because they were trying to pin it on my dad. So I never reported it again. They just ignore you or try to pin it on people they don't like. I know another man in a similar positions. He got dupped by a minor, paid for it, and was a cleared citizen after the time. Though his daughter reports a rape and it was instantly pinned on him despite people saying it wasn't him. I am soooo sick of this.

Surl E Dean's Fangirl

Invisible Lunatic

23,025 Points
  • NPCon Fanatic 500
  • NPCon Attendee 100
It always saddens me when I read reports like this. Why would anyone have any sort of feeling aside from sympathy, wanting to comfort, and wanting justice.

I don't know but I am fearful of people who can look at someone who's drunk, or unconscious, and actually think that it's go time. That screams wrong on so many levels... I mean illness, conditioning by society etc...

It just baffles me that people can't even begin to see why rape culture does exist and how it permeates so much into society.

Lord Elwrind's Queen

Dangerous Fairy

55,065 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Poison Master 250
  • Winged 100
And you guys/gals wonder why I sometimes behave the way I do. It is stories like this...

I could say something, but... I would be accused of being sexist. Again.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff