Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
A teenager shot and killed his 12-year-old brother because he mistook him for an intruder in their Florida home, police said today.

According to police the 16-year-old was home alone on Friday when his younger brother came home.

"He heard some noises and he called out for his brother and he didn't answer and then his brother startled him," Orlando Police Department Detective Mike Moreschi told ABCNews.com affiliate WFTV.

Scared that there was an intruder in the home, the older boy grabbed a gun and shot his brother, according to police. Once the teen realized what had happened, he immediately called 911.
Evan Spencer Ebel Suspected in Colorado Prison Chief Murder Watch Video
Three Marines Dead at Marine Base in Quantico, Va. Watch Video
Shooting Avoided, Marine Accident and the News of the Week Watch Video

The younger boy was taken to Arnold Palmer Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later. The teenager and his parents were taken to the police station for questioning and released hours later.

"He's devastated, obviously. His parents are devastated by what happened and it's just a really bad situation for the family," Moreschi said.

Police said the teenager would not be charged with any crime related to the shooting, although the state attorney's office will review the case for possible negligence.

Neighbors of the family were in disbelief over the shooting.

"All I can say is it's so scary," Julia Bracey told WFTV. "It's heartbreaking I can't imagine what the parents are going through right now."

Francis Ikwueme, who also lives near the family in the Orange County subdivision, found the shooting devastating.

"It cuts deep and it breaks my heart," Ikwueme told WFTV. "There was the shooting up in Connecticut. Anytime young life or life in general has to be cut short senselessly, it's a very unfortunate thing."

read on

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Hmph. I wonder if I could have shot my rotten younger brother and used "I thought he was an intruder!!!!!1!1" as my excuse.
he's so gonna get charged on negligence.

Well... what was the little brother doing out? Was he in trouble? Why didn't he answer his brother?

And HOW THE HELL does someone at that age easily get a hold of the gun.

It's as much as the parents fault as it is the one who was killed.

It's a horrible situation, but it all could have been easily avoided.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
Lupin_IV
I think they will charge the parents with that.
FirstBornTriplet
Lupin_IV
I think they will charge the parents with that.

the kid demonstrated knowledge of how and when to use a firearm. but firing in the dark? i fail to see how the parents are to blame. the kid may have done the same thing with a baseball bat.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Turn the lights on next time and don't jump to conclusions. Also invest in a security system.

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Honey of the South
Turn the lights on next time and don't jump to conclusions. Also invest in a security system.
Wrong If it was an intruder who had a weapon that would have landed him DEAD. Security system not everyone can afford and they would of sent anyone into a panic partically at night. Maybe a Dog. If the Dog knew the person chances are they would shut up quick.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
xdivision_whitey
Honey of the South
Wrong If it was an intruder who had a weapon that would have landed him DEAD. Security system not everyone can afford and they would of sent anyone into a panic partically at night. Maybe a Dog. If the Dog knew the person chances are they would shut up quick.
I didn't say what kind of security system. I also didn't say anything about not having a weapon.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff