Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Fan Caught Sleeping at Yankees Game Suing ESPN for $10 Million in Damages

A fan who was shown sleeping during an ESPN broadcast of a recent New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox game is suing the TV network and two of its announcers for allegedly disparaging him during the telecast, according to a lawsuit seeking $10 million in damages.

Andrew Rector, 26, nodded off during the fourth inning of an April 13 contest at Yankee Stadium, and was shown on TV with his head slumped to the side as he snoozed in his second-row seat in the ballpark’s lower level.

ESPN announcer Dan Shulman referred to the sleeping fan as “oblivious,” while John Kruk, the network’s color commentator, noted that the ballpark was “not the place you come to sleep.” Shulman also wondered whether the fan had slept through a third inning home run by Yankee Carlos Beltran (which, Shulman said, prompted the crowd of 45,000 to “stand up and cheer”).

In his complaint, which was filed this month in State Supreme Court in the Bronx, Rector contends that he was subjected to an “unending verbal crusade” by the ESPN announcers. The comments caused Rector, seen at right, emotional distress, according to the July 3 lawsuit.

Rector’s lawsuit, which was first reported by Courthouse News Service, also names the Yankees and Major League Baseball as defendants.

MLB is being sued for including video of Rector snoozing as part of the Sunday night game's highlights package uploaded to mlb.com. The video apparently prompted viewers to post comments mocking Rector for falling asleep during the game.

Strangely, the lawsuit attributes these online putdowns to Shulman and Kruk. The announcers, the complaint alleges, used words like “stupor, fatty, unintelligent, stupid” to disparage Rector, who works for a Bronx-based auto leasing firm.

Rector, who did not return a TSG message left at his office, alleges that he was defamed by comments portraying him as a “fatty cow that needs two seats” and a “confused disgusted and socially bankrupt individual.” During a brief interview, Rector’s lawyer, Valentine Okwara, said that he would only answer press questions after each of the lawsuit’s defendants had been served with a copy of the complaint.

Though Rector is suing the Yankees for his purported humiliation at the ballpark, he still lists the Bronx Bombers among his three favorite teams on his Facebook page.

Tiny Ace

28,600 Points
  • Novice Mage 100
  • Diedrich Supporter 50
  • Excitable Emoter 25
People will sue over anything now a days.

Wintry Dragon

Maybe ESPN will settle by providing him with a lazy boy or a new bed so he can get better sleep in his home?

Tipsy Smoker

I don't think he deserves money nor verbal abuse.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
If you are going to spend that much money to go to a Yankees game and then fall asleep, you will get mocked on TV. Baseball is slow, they have to find something to fill the time.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Malee
If you are going to spend that much money to go to a Yankees game and then fall asleep, you will get mocked on TV. Baseball is slow, they have to find something to fill the time.

Might be that I just listen to the right announcers (I watch the Cubs), but they always talk about the technical aspects of the game, baseball history, baseball trivia, strategy, stats, etc. Lately they've been making silly jokes with Seinfeld references. And today one mentioned that a player was a "Jersey boy," and the other quipped, "You mean he was in the Four Seasons?"

I know I hated, in Calfiornia, having to listen to the announcers diss random people in the stands.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
kiironobara
Malee

Might be that I just listen to the right announcers (I watch the Cubs), but they always talk about the technical aspects of the game, baseball history, baseball trivia, strategy, stats, etc. Lately they've been making silly jokes with Seinfeld references. And today one mentioned that a player was a "Jersey boy," and the other quipped, "You mean he was in the Four Seasons?"

I know I hated, in Calfiornia, having to listen to the announcers diss random people in the stands.

I mostly watch the Mariners and the announcers are good, but the ESPN national announcers are not that great.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Malee
kiironobara
Malee

I mostly watch the Mariners and the announcers are good, but the ESPN national announcers are not that great.

Oh, god, agreed. How about the terrible Fox Sports announcers?

Dedicated Student

Malee

They shouldn't be though. They really don't know why the guy was asleep to have just been making fun of him.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
kiironobara
Malee
kiironobara
Malee

Ugh, nothing is as bad as Fox Sports announcers.

Liberal Bibliophile

34,100 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • I Voted! 25
  • Elocutionist 200
Malee
kiironobara
Malee
kiironobara
Malee

Ugh, nothing is as bad as Fox Sports announcers.

It's like they never saw a baseball game before.

Aged Noob

12,450 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Signature Look 250
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Malee

They shouldn't be though. They really don't know why the guy was asleep to have just been making fun of him.

If you watch the video they don't really mock him, just poke fun at the fact that he spent a lot of money for a rather uncomfortable place to sleep. Most of the really nasty comments are coming from online comments.

Relentless Glitch

Malee
Lupa Fangs Makucha
Malee

If you watch the video they don't really mock him, just poke fun at the fact that he spent a lot of money for a rather uncomfortable place to sleep. Most of the really nasty comments are coming from online comments.

Probably easier to sue one big target than many little ones?
They should counter sue for the time wasted and legal fees. This guy deserves to lose and even more verbal harassment for being so ******** stupid.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff