Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Bloodsucker

2,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Hygienic 200
Kind of reminds me of the story of the famous stud and halter horse champion, Impressive.

Impressive's paternal grandfather, Three Bars, was also his maternal great grandfather and great great grandfather. Impressive was the result of inbreeding descendants of Three Bars, mostly uncles with nieces. Kind of sort of almost linebreeding (which is often a male siring offspring with his own daughter, then granddaughter, and so on).

Impressive was well known for his, err, impressive musculature. His beefy bulk not only earned him championship halter titles (similar to dog show competitions, but for horse breeds), but also a place of high prominence in the stud books. He was a very popular stud to have one's mares breed with, yielding horses with also impressive musculature to win titles with, down into the generations.

Unfortunately, Impressive's impressive musculature came with a price.

See, his bulk was due to a genetic defect. I think the defect affects the sodium-gated channels in the muscles, if I recall. This defect results in the muscles constantly contracting, giving the horse perpetual "workouts" even when it is at rest. Unfortunately, this genetic anomaly can also cause pain, disability, and death for the horses who carry it, especially those who carry two copies of the "impressive gene." The disease is called HYPP, or "Impressive Syndrome."

The disease that comes from the "Impressive gene" has been such an issue in quarter horse breeding circles that now officials are trying to discourage it. This has led to genetic testing that bars those with two copies of the gene from being registered studs. They are also considering barring those with one copy of the gene as well. They are also considering changing the way they judge quarterhorse halter competitions in order to discourage breeders and owners from seeking the impressive musculature that comes with the defective gene.

Not sure if Impressive's infamous genetic defect is due to extreme inbreeding, irresponsible breeding (linebreeding is surprisingly common) and all that, but it is an interesting case study nonetheless.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressive_(horse)

Genetic isolation, especially that observed to be due to the "founder effect," does seem to result in greater prominence of certain genetic defects in select populations. For example, ultra-Orthodox Jews and Tay-Sachs, or the historical prominence of congenital deafness on Martha's Vineyard. This may in part be due to the fact that some genetic defects only present in phenotype when an individual has two copies of the gene, or the defect's effects may be much more exaggerated with two copies of the genes. Having two copies of a defective gene seems far more likely in circumstances of inbreeding and genetic isolation, such as what's seen with the "founder effect."

I'm not sure of the precise significance of these observations, but they are interesting to observe.

Dedicated Giver

12,150 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Foolhardy Benefactor 500
From a purely judicial point of view I see as little problem with parents marrying an adult child as I see with homosexual marriages.

In this specific case my problem is not a girl barely out of her teens marrying the first man she ever loves, but the fact that a full grown man agrees to marry his estranged and barely legal daughter and plans to have children with her. What the frack is up with that? What sort of immature person agrees to a person probably around half her age?

I understand that the connection they feel is strong and that they sexually swing high, but it is his responsibility as a man and her father to take a moment to contemplate the wisdom in marrying his daughter.

Also, his ex-girlfriend? The "roommate"? Who hears her boyfriend having sex with his teen-aged daughter and thinks "uh, I better keep quiet, so I don't disturb those two" and then proceeds to forgive the man and keep living with him and his daughter as the two of them start a relationship and the get engaged?

These two are my problem with this scenario. The daughter should really just see a shrink, get those abandonment issues worked out confused

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
Yuki_Windira
Faustine Liem
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Boom, I am reminded of this movie. If you know what movie I am talking about, its Japanese, redone by Americans.

What is the movie? sweatdrop

Old Boy, the original.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

JamesWN
Yuki_Windira
Faustine Liem

Boom, I am reminded of this movie. If you know what movie I am talking about, its Japanese, redone by Americans.

Oldboy? URL ended up in the img tag of her post somehow.

http://www.movieposterdb.com/posters/05_02/2003/0364569/l_7177_0364569_76d3088a.jpg

Oh,that one!

Thank you,sweetie.x3
Ugh, wow; deja vu. I remember a very similar article many years ago (hmm, I remember it being Germany or somewhere Europe, but there's a case in New Zealand that might be the one I'm thinking) ... very similar situation... daughter met biological father, and they ... well, connected.

Conservative Vampire

10,150 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Valiant Corvus
Misty Moonsilver
What about "love is love"
I'm so sick and ******** tired of hearing this phrase. It's completely irrational, immature, and out of touch with reality. What most people perceive as "love" is usually fleeting passion or attraction that lasts for a short period of time before fading.

Wonder why divorce rates are so high? There you go.

This whole scenario just reeks of an immature girl whose head is up in fairytale land and a guy that took advantage of her idiocy.

EXACTLY. That was my point. People have the word "love" all ******** up. You can love something without ******** it or marrying it. And now people confuse the words like and love all the time.

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Yuki_Windira
Faustine Liem

Oldboy? URL ended up in the img tag of her post somehow.

http://www.movieposterdb.com/posters/05_02/2003/0364569/l_7177_0364569_76d3088a.jpg

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Misty Moonsilver
What about "love is love"
I'm so sick and ******** tired of hearing this phrase. It's completely irrational, immature, and out of touch with reality. What most people perceive as "love" is usually fleeting passion or attraction that lasts for a short period of time before fading.

Wonder why divorce rates are so high? There you go.

This whole scenario just reeks of an immature girl whose head is up in fairytale land and a guy that took advantage of her idiocy.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

Faustine Liem

Fluffy Fatcat

11,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Heckler 50
Damorion215
fluffythingie
Misty Moonsilver
fluffythingie
Misty Moonsilver

But somehow two men ******** is better......? And she isn't a child. She's an adult. What about "love is love" and "if there's two consenting adults, it should be legal"?

Two men going at it is "seen" as better in society due to the fact that chances are, they AREN'T blood-related.

Love is love.
Two consenting adults.....
Those are two arguments used constantly for gay marriage...yet THIS time it's wrong?
I cannot understand this. This is me trying to understand liberals and it just doesn't work.

This time, it's not about gay marriage. This is a man and woman, but they're father and daughter. I see your point, though. But at the same time, this is not something I, myself would see as socially acceptable, mostly because they're literally blood-related. Another reason is because they aren't gonna tell their kids the truth about them. I don't really care wheither or not it's something that tips their trigger romancewise, (mostly because it's not my life.) as long as they aren't hurting anyone in the process. Their future kids will be pissed off and if they find out through other people talking about it (which they most likely will), they'll be hurt that their parents didn't respect them enough to tell them what was actually going on. The way this couple is going about this actually DOES have the potential to hurt someone in the long-run. At least that's how I see it, anyway.

Lupa Fangs Makucha

First of all, I do have better morals, Lupa, because I don't want my future children (this is a very possible scenario if you're smart enough to recognize it) going over to your place spending time with your children and you come by and start spouting this s**t that "It's okay to screw your own parent/child", then have my kids coming home spouting that same s**t and having me trying to reverse the damage done. Plus, it's perfectly in my rights to carry a gun to protect my children from someone like you because if you think it's okay for parents to ******** their own offspring, then I don't want to know what other kind of sick s**t you got going in that head of yours, because with that kind of sick-mindedness, you automatically pose a threat to me and my children since most decent human beings know it's wrong to screw your own child, consenting age or not.

Secondly, Sundry. It's not about simply "respecting another's opinion". This "opinion" of yours is immoral and wrong as agreed by 95% of the people on this thread and by most people in the world. So you don't even have a right to say "it's not a problem" when it's clearly been proven by many people that it IS a problem! And yes, there IS a difference, because everything else other than a relationship between a man and a woman is unnatural. (Don't even bring up the "animals of the same gender screw each other" argument. Animals don't have any moral compasses to guide them on what is right and wrong). And how DARE you say that I can't choose what friends my child will make with! If those "friends" of his or hers are doing drugs, committing crimes, etc., then I have every right to pull my child away from those "friends". So as a parent, NO, I will NOT get over it! Because if my child's "happiness" starts to kill them, then I have the right to do everything in my power to show them true happiness.

So! I have very important question for those of you who have no problem whatsoever with this issue: If you're going to have children/already have children and when they are of consenting age/are already of consenting age, would you ******** them?

(And stop the "love is love" thing. That's the oldest excuse used by people for LGTBQPAM [don't know how many letters this thing has nowadays] issues and issues like this. Find a new excuse, for ******** sake.)
I see your point. To be honest, incest, in my opinion, is really kind of nasty. Why a parent would want to have sexual relationships like this with their children and vise-versa is beyond me. However, when did one's sexuality play a role in this particular story? I could see it being brought up if this was about incest in general, but this is straight incest. Kindly leave LGBT out of this?

Dedicated Student

Damorion215
fluffythingie
Misty Moonsilver
fluffythingie
Misty Moonsilver

But somehow two men ******** is better......? And she isn't a child. She's an adult. What about "love is love" and "if there's two consenting adults, it should be legal"?

Two men going at it is "seen" as better in society due to the fact that chances are, they AREN'T blood-related.

Love is love.
Those are two arguments used constantly for gay marriage...yet THIS time it's wrong?
I cannot understand this. This is me trying to understand liberals and it just doesn't work.

This time, it's not about gay marriage. This is a man and woman, but they're father and daughter. I see your point, though. But at the same time, this is not something I, myself would see as socially acceptable, mostly because they're literally blood-related. Another reason is because they aren't gonna tell their kids the truth about them. I don't really care wheither or not it's something that tips their trigger romancewise, (mostly because it's not my life.) as long as they aren't hurting anyone in the process. Their future kids will be pissed off and if they find out through other people talking about it (which they most likely will), they'll be hurt that their parents didn't respect them enough to tell them what was actually going on. The way this couple is going about this actually DOES have the potential to hurt someone in the long-run. At least that's how I see it, anyway.

Lupa Fangs Makucha

First of all, I do have better morals, Lupa, because I don't want my future children (this is a very possible scenario if you're smart enough to recognize it) going over to your place spending time with your children and you come by and start spouting this s**t that "It's okay to screw your own parent/child", then have my kids coming home spouting that same s**t and having me trying to reverse the damage done. Plus, it's perfectly in my rights to carry a gun to protect my children from someone like you because if you think it's okay for parents to ******** their own offspring, then I don't want to know what other kind of sick s**t you got going in that head of yours, because with that kind of sick-mindedness, you automatically pose a threat to me and my children since most decent human beings know it's wrong to screw your own child, consenting age or not.

Secondly, Sundry. It's not about simply "respecting another's opinion". This "opinion" of yours is immoral and wrong as agreed by 95% of the people on this thread and by most people in the world. So you don't even have a right to say "it's not a problem" when it's clearly been proven by many people that it IS a problem! And yes, there IS a difference, because everything else other than a relationship between a man and a woman is unnatural. (Don't even bring up the "animals of the same gender screw each other" argument. Animals don't have any moral compasses to guide them on what is right and wrong). And how DARE you say that I can't choose what friends my child will make with! If those "friends" of his or hers are doing drugs, committing crimes, etc., then I have every right to pull my child away from those "friends". So as a parent, NO, I will NOT get over it! Because if my child's "happiness" starts to kill them, then I have the right to do everything in my power to show them true happiness.

So! I have very important question for those of you who have no problem whatsoever with this issue: If you're going to have children/already have children and when they are of consenting age/are already of consenting age, would you ******** them?

(And stop the "love is love" thing. That's the oldest excuse used by people for LGTBQPAM [don't know how many letters this thing has nowadays] issues and issues like this. Find a new excuse, for ******** sake.)

Never said you weren't allowed to carry a gun, but you aren't allowed to use a gun unless they come onto your property or pose an immediate physical threat to your children or yourself. You don't get to use a gun on someone for a disagreement in opinion.

Also, never said that you don't get to choose who you kid makes friends with' Though I'm pretty sure they will have a mind of their own and choose that for themselves. You can't control your kids, but you can't shoot someone for coming around your children out in public. It's public.

Also, never said I supported this. I've only debunked myths about incest and how it doesn't automatically cause deformed babies, but debunking doesn't mean I support it by a long shot. If you are going to be against something because of science then you should know a bit about it. Sure I am no expert, but I am not ignorant to how genes get passed on either. Therefore I can't answer your question.

Actually no.. I can. I wouldn't. Not unless it was some weird situation where I got pregnant before I am too much older and had a child whom I never saw again and then got into a romantic relationship with someone whom I didn't know was my child. Then I basically wouldn't know unless I asked for a dna test of all my partners. Which would label me as phobic and be extremely expensive. I already have half siblings I don't know about, but unless I dna test I wouldn't know that they were and again I'm not going to test everyone I experience romantic feelings with. Buuut the whole having a child will likely not be a problem in the first place. Unless I was just raped and the fetus ended up taking despite all preventive measures I wouldn't have a child. I am very anti birthing a child for myself because in all honesty for me to give birth to a child would pass on the same risk if not more of a risk a bad gene. I wouldn't do that for the love of my child. Though I am not suggesting that everyone with a high risk who are disabled to fall in my footsteps. Nor am I saying that a disabled person's life is not worth living. I'm severely disabled and I want to live. But out of love I'd never let my child go through what I am going through and will go through for the rest of my life.

Conservative Genius

6,100 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
fluffythingie
Misty Moonsilver
fluffythingie
Misty Moonsilver
Damorion215

So you two are okay with children and parents ******** each other? Good. If I ever meet either of you in real life in the future, I'll make sure to keep my future children away from you and make sure to pack a loaded gun in case you try to get near them.

Seriously, you two have no morals or common sense at all.

Love is love.

Lupa Fangs Makucha

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff