Apocalyptic Cutesmasher

25,215 Points
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
  • Waffles! 25
  • Attending the Ball 25
link

Quote:
Family says N.J. overreacted to photo of boy with rifle

The ruddy-cheeked, camouflage-clad boy in the photo smiles out from behind a pair of glasses, proudly holding a gun his father gave him as a present for his upcoming 11th birthday.

The weapon in the photo, posted by his dad on Facebook, resembles a military-style assault rifle but, his father says, is actually just a .22-caliber copy. And that, the family believes, is why child welfare case workers and police officers visited the home in Carneys Point, N.J., last Friday and asked to see his guns.

New Jersey's Department of Children and Families declined to comment specifically on the case but says it often follows up on tips. The family and an attorney say father Shawn Moore's Second Amendment rights to bear arms were threatened in a state that already has some of the nation's strictest gun laws and is considering strengthening them after December's schoolhouse massacre in Connecticut.

In this case, the family believes someone called New Jersey's anonymous child abuse hot line.

Shawn Moore said he gave his son, Josh, the gun as a present to use on hunting trips. The elder Moore was at a friend's house when his wife called, saying state child welfare investigators, along with four local police officers, were at the house, asking to inspect the family's guns.

Moore said he called his lawyer Evan Nappen, who specializes in Second Amendment cases, and had him on speaker phone as he arrived at his house in Carneys Point, just across the Delaware River from Wilmington, Del.

With the lawyer listening on the phone, Moore said he asked the investigators and police officers whether they had a warrant to search his home. When they said no, he asked them to leave.

"I don't like what happened," he said. "You're not even safe in your own house. If they can just show up at any time and make you open safes and go through your house, that's not freedom; it's like tyranny."

Original Survivor

Just him posting it on FB was asking for trouble, why do people have this urge to share everything they do in their lives with everyone?

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Lei_Trigar
Just him posting it on FB was asking for trouble, why do people have this urge to share everything they do in their lives with everyone?

Agreed but at the same time a child posing in hunting gear with a rifle is no reason to assume child abuse.

I actually saw a rifle recently that is similar or same to what they are describing in the article. The style was similar to some AR-15s and similar rifles but caught my eye because it looked smaller. I looked closer and realized it was a .22.

This is also a good example of how folks alarm over the look of a gun rather than its capabilities. If this has been a very traditional looking .22 then likely whoever made the call would not have called. The version I saw looked practical in the sense it looked like it would hold up better to brush and kicking around on the farm than the .22s I had as a teen.

Friendly Explorer

This is asinine. The boy has a hunting license & passed safety courses. The father did everything right here especially considering there was no warrant. Shame on the police who violated the family's constitutional rights & the nosy busybody who cried child abuse over a harmless photo.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
I think someone needs to learn how to identify guns and/or do their research before reporting anything like that again.

Clean Sex Symbol

emotion_facepalm Overeaction much?

It was a hunting photo. The father wasn't pointing the gun at the kid or something.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
That's so stupid. I was handling guns too when I was roughly that kid's age. This is just part of the effort to try and seize people's fire arms, nothin to do with the kid's safety.

Destructive Detective

19,200 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Let's see, NJ allows 10-year-olds to hunt with rifles, and children even younger than that if they are on their family's farm.
http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/hntlicfe.htm

Do these cops not know the laws of the state for which they work? rolleyes

Dapper Gawker

iHippie X
This is asinine. The boy has a hunting license & passed safety courses. The father did everything right here especially considering there was no warrant. Shame on the police who violated the family's constitutional rights & the nosy busybody who cried child abuse over a harmless photo.

At first, I was like "What the frack?! He has a license!?" Then I scrolled down and learned. That's just so bizarre. But to the point, why didn't the police know about the laws of New Jersey?

Friendly Explorer

Sermanther
iHippie X

At first, I was like "What the frack?! He has a license!?" Then I scrolled down and learned. That's just so bizarre. But to the point, why didn't the police know about the laws of New Jersey?

I have no idea how they wouldn't know. It just seems like a power grab to me.

Friendly Explorer

MemoriesOfGreen
That's so stupid. I was handling guns too when I was roughly that kid's age. This is just part of the effort to try and seize people's fire arms, nothin to do with the kid's safety.

Bingo.

Ice-Cold Bloodsucker

19,890 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Team Rina 200
  • Elocutionist 200
People need to educate themselves before they go and cry to the authorities over something completely innocent.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff