Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Quote:

NEW YORK (AP) — A child care worker charged with killing a toddler in her home told police she threw the boy to the floor and stepped on him three times, and after that, he could no longer walk on his own, authorities said.

Athena Skeeter, 40, was arraigned Sunday on charges of manslaughter and endangering the welfare of a child.

The city's Administration for Children's Services did not immediately respond to a message seeking information on Skeeter, who police said was a licensed child care worker.

According to a court document, Skeeter told police she had been wrestling Friday with 20-month-old Cardell Williamson at her Bronx home after his father dropped him off that morning. She said the child was on the bed when she lifted him by one arm and one leg and put him on the floor. She told police she stepped on his stomach but "didn't use full force."

Skeeter said she then put her son on top of Cardell and stepped on his stomach.

"Cardell acted different after that," Skeeter said, according to the court document. "He threw up. His head kept tilting."

She said she put him in a bathtub and put cold water on his face, and then stepped out for a short time. When she came back, Streeter told police, Cardell's head was in the water and steam was coming up. She said he had burns on his arm and face.

Police responding to a 911 call found Cardell lying on a bed, struggling to breathe. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

The medical examiner ruled his death a homicide.

Skeeter was in custody and was due back in court Thursday. No attorney information was available for her. Source

Dear police and justice system:

Please give the family of the poor child time alone with this woman. No one would blame you if you ignored what the family did to the woman.

Benevolent Elder

17,550 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Noob wrangler 100
nonononono... Ah, my heart hurts.
WTF is wrong with these.... 'things' that they could hurt a child?

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
What... the ********... did I just read...?

Undead Enchantress

Was she even credentialed? Is child care worker a euphemism for the standard nanny or babysitter? eek

Tipsy Smoker

How can we even stop things like this?
Chahklet

If you ask the liberals they need hugs and bubble gum. You ask me we need to take them out back and put a bullet in their heads.

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
There are no guarantees in life. When parents leave their kids in daycare centers, they are trusting that their children will be well-treated and looked after. Ninety-percent of the time they are, the other ten percent, well... The article speaks volumes. sad

Tipsy Smoker

Old Blue Collar Joe
Chahklet

If you ask the liberals they need hugs and bubble gum. You ask me we need to take them out back and put a bullet in their heads.
I agree. It does worry me as a parent. That may be the solution, but I am wondering about prevention.
Old Blue Collar Joe
Chahklet

I lean pretty left and believe a bullet would be best.[/soze]
Chicken Zombie
Old Blue Collar Joe
Chahklet

I lean pretty left and believe a bullet would be best.[/soze]

There's a difference between leaning left and being a liberal and leaning right and being a conservative. Quite possible to have bits of both.

Dangerous Lunatic

12,650 Points
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Invisibility 100
  • Demonic Associate 100

Dapper Lop

6,600 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
burning_eyes

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
O-M-G!
This story just kept getting "wrongER" the more I read.

From the headline I thought I was going to read that her excuse was she tripped and accidentally stepped on the boy or something like that. Instead it was -
"A child care worker charged with killing a toddler in her home told police she threw the boy to the floor and stepped on him three times, and after that, he could no longer walk on his own, authorities said."

And then it just got worse from there.
Why were you wrestling with a 20 month old?
Did you 'put him' on the floor or 'throw' him on the floor? The article says both.
What made it seem like a good idea to put your child on top of a 20 month old and then step on him?
You saw that you ******** him up. According to you he was acting differently, threw up, could no longer walk on his own and his head kept tilting to the side. In a 20 month old child maybe that's a good time to seek professional medical help instead of dropping him in the tub and walking away.
You left him in the tub AND you left the water running? Sure, why not? A 20 month old toddler could not possibly turn a bathtub knob and screw up the temperature. And probably he face planted in the water 'cuz "acting different and head tilted to the side".

Most news stories don't make me angry but this one's giving it a good go.
I hope this woman does some serious prison time.

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
Scarred Sword Heart
There are no guarantees in life. When parents leave their kids in daycare centers, they are trusting that their children will be well-treated and looked after. Ninety-percent of the time they are, the other ten percent, well... The article speaks volumes. sad

That's bullshit. Parents aren't playing Russian Roulette by putting their kids in daycare or leaving them with sitters. That's something perfectly normal in this era. What's not normal is someone murdering a child while they're in their care. There shouldn't be a thought of "there are no guarantees in life" when putting a child with a sitter. Don't blame the parents.

No Sweetheart

31,400 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Waffles! 25
  • Partygoer 500
Hopefully that woman won’t be liscened for long, or living outside of a jail. That poor family , losing a child or anyone you love is difficult.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff