• Popular Thread 100
There just aren't words for it..... crying crying crying

Eloquent Lunatic

10,425 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
Hawk Karas

True. Spanish people tend to have closer families in general, don't they?
Oh, very much so. They also seem to have a bigger sense of community than most, but that's simply from my own run-in with prominently Hispanic neighborhoods. Every time I'd go there on my summer lunches charity for kids who were on financial aid for school lunches, I'd always go into these big housing complexes where everyone knew everyone and they always looked out for each other.

Quote:
I agree with you that the culture plays a huge role in this, more so than money, but after looking some of this stuff up I got around to thinking; Did these extra factors help push the culture to becoming like this?

I could be wrong for all I know, but it's an interesting thing to think about.
It's really hard to say. Culture is a hard thing to define as to where it came from, only that it developed up to that point because of several factors that we can't always explain.

Poverty sure as hell can wreck havoc on it, though.

JamesWN's Secret Admirer

Spoopy Bibliophile

o-o; Oh ouch,that poor kid! D:

Amateur Detective

35,390 Points
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Bookworm 100
At times like these, I do so love the beautiful word 'castration'. I do not see how anyone can see a child as a potential sex partner, and it sickens me to know it's done legally in third world countries.

What's worse is knowing the people responsible will get away with it, and the ***** will probably just buy himself another child 'bride', the sick ********. How parents could sell their child like that, I do not even know. I do know that they BETTER feel nothing but utmost remorse and sorrow for dooming their child in such a way, and feel it for the rest of their miserable lives. As for the *****, again I say 'castration'. As painfully as they can possibly manage. He kill a child with that thing, it's only fair that it is destroyed in response.
Keltoi Samurai
Once again, we have a clash between human rights and regional cultures.

On the one hand, the UN can step in and actually do something, in which case these children are granted their basic human rights, but at the cost of the UN engaging in imperialism.

On the other, the UN can do nothing, and allow a local, indigenous culture to continue to grow organically and free of outside imperialistic pressures, but at the cost of human rights violations continuing.

Maybe if the UN operated more like the UFP, it might give nations like Yemen more reason to modernise . . . or, it might make them feel isolated, ostracised and cause them to dig in on such barbaric customs even further.

I mean, the biggest barrier to the Klingon Empire joining the UFP, at least during periods of friendly contact between the two ( and the issue that provided the most friction between the two during those periods of cooperation ), was the Empire's holding of colonies and their treatment of indigenous populations on them ( well, that and the keeping of slaves, but those are two issues that are largely one and the same, when it all boils down )
Please, the UFP is 10 times as bad as the UN. The prime directive prevents any interference at all in developing planets, no matter what they're doing. At least the UN can deliver strongly worded letters and impose economic sanctions. If the UN were like the UFP, they wouldn't even allow other countries to trade with Yemen.

But yeah, seriously, ******** everyone in that part of the world. It constantly pisses me off that I have to share my air with those child raping bastards.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Hawk Karas
Keltoi Samurai
Once again, we have a clash between human rights and regional cultures.

On the one hand, the UN can step in and actually do something, in which case these children are granted their basic human rights, but at the cost of the UN engaging in imperialism.

On the other, the UN can do nothing, and allow a local, indigenous culture to continue to grow organically and free of outside imperialistic pressures, but at the cost of human rights violations continuing.

Maybe if the UN operated more like the UFP, it might give nations like Yemen more reason to modernise . . . or, it might make them feel isolated, ostracised and cause them to dig in on such barbaric customs even further.

I mean, the biggest barrier to the Klingon Empire joining the UFP, at least during periods of friendly contact between the two ( and the issue that provided the most friction between the two during those periods of cooperation ), was the Empire's holding of colonies and their treatment of indigenous populations on them ( well, that and the keeping of slaves, but those are two issues that are largely one and the same, when it all boils down )

I dunno too much about what's going on over there but this article at least makes it seem like it's more about the people being so poor that selling off their children becomes a viable option, rather than it only being a culture thing. I mean, what you're saying could very well be exactly right, but with just less than half of the population in poverty (if it isn't exaggerated to hell and back), I doubt if it doesn't play a factor in keeping those ways.

Yes they are poor but when your local people / law enforcement / rules etc allow you to sell off your kids to be rape killed that IS a cultural thing even if it is motivated by poverty. It's illegal to do that here in the USA even if you are poor. My oldest granddaughter is almost this poor girl's age. I would die of starvation myself before lack of food in our family caused me (her mom) to sell her off to be raped and killed. Although it would not have gotten them a dowry it would have been kinder to the girl if her family had just chopped her head off or smothered her in her sleep. Less suffering than spending your final hours in fear and immense pain while thinking how your family sold you out to such a horrible fate. The fact this is a 'thing' over there suggests severe cultural problems IMO.

In America it is acceptable to marry a younger woman (or man) but it's frowned upon if you can divide your age by your bride's age and get a number much greater than 1. And getting 5 is just right off the pervert scale.
Well, now we know grown men's dicks just won't fit in eight year old vaginas.

But did we really want to know something like that? gonk

7,800 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
It's more about havin' the power over the people still than it just bein' a cultural view.

Greedy Consumer

Brilwen
And THIS is why children shouldn't be having sex, their bodies aren't ready for it yet.
Really? THIS is the only reason why? Would make a bad arguement, plenty of other reasons as well.

Greedy Consumer

Grand Monarch of Heaven
There just aren't words for it..... crying crying crying
Yes there are lol.

Swashbuckling Humorist

14,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
There are conflicting reports about this, and several people have found no evidence that this ever happened.

Snopes on this.

Fashionable Sex Symbol

Valiant Corvus

Oh, very much so. They also seem to have a bigger sense of community than most, but that's simply from my own run-in with prominently Hispanic neighborhoods. Every time I'd go there on my summer lunches charity for kids who were on financial aid for school lunches, I'd always go into these big housing complexes where everyone knew everyone and they always looked out for each other.

Man, that actually sounds really nice. The closest I've seen around here is just the occasional conversation between neighbors.
Valiant Corvus
It's really hard to say. Culture is a hard thing to define as to where it came from, only that it developed up to that point because of several factors that we can't always explain.

Poverty sure as hell can wreck havoc on it, though.

No doubt.

Hoeshido's Prince

Dangerous Sweetheart

10,750 Points
  • Alchemy Level 3 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Partygoer 500
Goes to show why the world is more twisted than how many times people would say it is.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff