Welcome to Gaia! ::

24,500 Points
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
Offerings.

Quote:

While many eateries are adding healthier food options to their menus to appease dieters, an annual survey surmised that virtually every restaurant chain in the U.S. has a menu item that nears — or tops — the 2,000-calorie mark.

The 2014 Xtreme Eating awards, from the Center for Science in the Public Interest, gave finger wags to nine popular chains with the most unhealthy options.

Among the list of “winners,” as the CSPI phrased it, The Cheesecake Factory was declared the worst offender. The chain, with 150 locations nationwide, took three of the list’s nine distinctions.

The restaurant’s Bruléed French Toast (2,780 calories, according to the CSPI), Farfalle with Chicken and Roasted Garlic (2,410 calories, 63 grams of saturated fat) and Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake Cheesecake (1,500 calories, 21 teaspoons of sugar) were spotlighted.

The study compared eating the aforementioned french toast to swallowing “14 slices of Aunt Jemima frozen Homestyle French Toast stuffed with 8 ounces of Kraft Philadelphia Original Cream Cheese Spread.”

In the meat department, Red Robin Gourmet Burgers was slammed for their Monster burger meal, including unlimited steak fries. With a milkshake added, the entire meal totaled over 3,500 calories and more than three day’ of saturated fat content.With 470 locations, Red Robin was the biggest chain on the list.

Famous Dave’s restaurant, with 200 locations, was ripped for an item called The Big Slab, which contains about 1.5 pounds of ribs on the bone. The Big Slab meal contains 2,770 calories, according to the CSPI.

The study warns seafood lovers to stay away from several of the fried offerings at Joe’s Crab Shack. The restaurant’s Big “Hook” Up platter, Fish & Chips, Coconut Shrimp and Crab Stuffed Shrimp were singled out as the most extreme options.

Other restaurant chains cited in the study included Maggiano’s Little Italy, BJ’s Restaurant & Brewhouse and Chevys Fresh Mex.

Click here to read the full announcement from CSPI: CSPI Xtreme Eating Awards

Source

Thank goodness I only order a piece of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory whenever we find one. (None are in SC) That other stuff sounds horrible!!! whee

Yuki_Windira's Husband

Invisible Hunter

13,800 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Marathon 300
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Because it's totally the restaraunts' responsibility to monitor what every dipshit is eating... 9_9

As long as the calorie info is there consequences are solely on the customer.

Wintry Dragon

I ate at The Cheesecake Factory once. emotion_drool
Let's blame the restaurant for people choosing to eat fattening foods. I mean, who needs anything like self-responsibility?

Hygienic Receiver

8,050 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
People choose to eat there though.

Divine Anubutt

27,850 Points
  • Skilled Snowfriend Architect 100
  • Daring Investigator 50
  • WilyTrickster 50
who goes to the cheesecake factory to eat healthy ._.?
Prism Stryder Kaede
who goes to the cheesecake factory to eat healthy ._.?

That's what I was trying to figure out. It's a specialty shop, not Golds ******** Gym.

Familiar Smoker

Chicken Zombie
Let's blame the restaurant for people choosing to eat fattening foods. I mean, who needs anything like self-responsibility?
The restraunt still offers the item, it deserves some of the blame, not a majority of it, but some.
TANRailgun
Chicken Zombie
The restraunt still offers the item, it deserves some of the blame, not a majority of it, but some.

No, it doesn't. It offers what it's customers want. If it didn't it would be out of business. If people wanted celery sticks and carrots, they'd sell those instead of cheesecake.
Blaming the restaurant is passing the buck instead of holding accountable those who cannot control themselves.

Omnipresent Warlord

Those kind of restaurants intentionally make stuff unhealthy because it's easy to do. One could create a "peanut butter and chocolate cheesecake" that doesn't have 1,500 calories and doesn't have that much sugar but people like the taste and don't really have a less unhealthy version of the same item to go for.
Too bad this high calorie food isn't available in the poorest countries where starving people never meet their ideal caloric intake.

Profitable Entrepreneur

6,300 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Wall Street 200
Calorie count should only be seen in the context of how much one is willing to exercise. The less you consume, the less movement you need to burn it off. If you really want to eat an item which contains more than a day's necessary caloric intake, yet wish to avoid the attendant bloat, you could talk to someone about how to burn off so many calories. That way you can have your [cheese]cake and...

...well, you know. twisted

Familiar Smoker

Old Blue Collar Joe
TANRailgun
Chicken Zombie
Let's blame the restaurant for people choosing to eat fattening foods. I mean, who needsn anything like self-responsibility?

No, it doesn't. It offers what it's customers want. If it didn't it would be out of business. If people wanted celery sticks and carrots, they'd sell those instead of cheesecake.
Blaming the restaurant is passing the buck instead of holding accountable those who cannot control themselves.
The restraunt reaps the benefits of selling these products, they can accept some of the responsibility for damage their products cause. "I did it for the money" absolves you of nothing.

Again, they don't deserve all the blame, not even most of it, but it's foolish to believe they don't play a roll.

Dapper Lop

6,600 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
What's next, are they gonna set limits on how much butter we can buy at grocery stores? Because you know, we fatty Americans can't control ourselves around food rolleyes

Tipsy Lunatic

TANRailgun

The restraunt reaps the benefits of selling these products, they can accept some of the responsibility for damage their products cause. "I did it for the money" absolves you of nothing.

Again, they don't deserve all the blame, not even most of it, but it's foolish to believe they don't play a roll.

So grocery stores share the blame, too? They have isles of junk food and processed frozen food...

No one is forcing people to eat out and no one is forcing people to eat junk food (unless a parent is only supplying a child with said food).

People need to take/have personal responsibility. What you put into your body is up to you, be it food, alcohol or drugs.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff