Welcome to Gaia! ::

Quotable Informer

20,825 Points
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
The 6-year-old boy who spent more than three hours trapped under 11 feet of sand is expected to recover with only mild lung injuries, doctors at the University of Chicago Medicine Comer Children’s Hospital said Monday.

Nathan Woessner was rescued Friday after being swallowed by a sand dune at the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore on the Lake Michigan shore in Michigan City.

Physicians “expect a full recovery or a close-to-full recovery of his neurological functions,” but they “are not sure what his long-term lung injury is going to be” due to the high volume of sand Nathan ingested during his harrowing ordeal, Dr. Tracy Koogler said at a Monday news conference.

“We know that when you have foreign bodies in your lungs, your lungs can have some chronic” issues, she said, adding that Nathan may come down with mild asthma or “wheezing” issues.

Koogler said Nathan is expected to be up and moving by the end of the week and discharged from the hospital in the next 10 to 14 days. He will then need a month in rehab “depending on what everything looks like,” she said.

Pastor Don Reul, Nathan’s grandfather, told reporters Monday that Nathan was with his father and two family friends Friday when he was entrapped in the dune.

“Nathan stepped in a sinkhole and disappeared out of sight,” Reul said. “He was nowhere to be seen. The ground had swallowed him up.”

A 911 call obtained by NBC News reveals that the boy’s father and a family friend attempted to dig out Nathan before emergency personnel arrived.

“But as they dug, he just went deeper and deeper,” Reul said, adding that Nathan plunged standing up.

Rescue crews were called to the scene shortly after 4:30 p.m. local time, said ranger Bruce Rowe, a spokesman for the National Park Service. It took them more than three hours of digging on the western slopes of Mount Baldy to rescue him.

Two private excavating companies joined with La Porte County emergency workers, Northern Indiana Public Service Co. workers and National Park Service officers to wrench the boy out of the sand.

The boy was finally recovered around 8:05 p.m.

“When they found Nathan he was cold and lifeless, and when they picked him up, he had a cut on his face, and he started to bleed,” Reul said. “And they said, ‘He’s got a heartbeat.’”

Nathan was taken to a local hospital in Indiana before being transferred to the University of Chicago hospital via helicopter. He was “not near death when he arrived at the hospital,” Koogler said, but he was nonetheless listed in critical condition through the weekend.

“We believe God spared him for a reason,” Reul said, fighting back tears.

So close

Sweet Humorist

15,425 Points
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Informer 100
eek that sounds terrifying though not a hundred percent sure what a sand dune is.probably less threatening than quick sand considering he survived 3 hours under there.
kay_elizabeth_marie
eek that sounds terrifying though not a hundred percent sure what a sand dune is.probably less threatening than quick sand considering he survived 3 hours under there.

Mt. Baldy (the dune he was actually swallowed up in) is very fine sand, and easy to get stuck in. There are pockets of quick sand but they're usually marked off. The top of the dune has a hell of a view over Lake Michigan, but its one hell of a climb up.

lastborntripletmack's Significant Otter

Popular Seeker

37,665 Points
  • Lavishing Romantic 250
  • Doting Romantic 100
  • Simple Romantic 50
kay_elizabeth_marie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune

Dapper Gawker

Oh my god that sounds so scary. To just watch your child disappear like that.
Kinda random, so whats the real discussion about this?

15,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
kay_elizabeth_marie

a sand dune is basically a large pile of sand, built up by water or wind.

Girl-Crazy Sex Symbol

That's terrifying. I think what's even worse is that when the father tried to dig his son out, like any parents would do, it just made the situation worse. I'm glad to hear the boy is alive and fine though, he was very lucky.
omg. at least hes going to recover/

Unbeatable Hunter

9,475 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Citizen 200
I had that happen once but it went up to my knees is scared the s**t outa me!

Chatty Lunatic

11,775 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Clambake 200
  • Streaker 200
This is part of why my mom told me not to play on sand dunes when I was a kid. Not to mention that a lot of places have signs telling people to keep off the sand dunes in order to preserve them as well.

Original Rogue

11,100 Points
  • Battle: Rogue 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
Good thing the dunes over here are pretty solid, depending on where you go. Jockey's Ridge is definitely fairly solid, at least enough to roll down it.

Attila The Chad's Widower

Bad Boy

Thank goodness he's alive! eek That must've been very scary for him...

Wintry Dragon

I'm glad he survived after drowning in sand. I wonder what sort of long term treatment he'd require though?

Bloodthirsty Carnivore

27,550 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
At first I did not see the 'by' and only saw '"Boy Swallowed Sand Dune"...you can imagine my confusion. Glad he's gonna come out of this okay.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff