Welcome to Gaia! ::

Saless
David2074
I fail to see how acting like assholes is going to win people over to their cause.
Peaceful or not they were still trespassing on private property with the intent of annoying patrons by interrupting their meals and forcing them to listen to their rant. Nobody wants that whether your message is about race or religion or a new brand of soap.

Also, not every shooting of a black person any person is unjust just because some of them are. Some of the statistics from the FBI and other sources indicate black youth are six times more likely to commit violent crimes like robbery and murder and even leaders in the black community acknowledge this isn't all explained away with "cuz racist law / legal system".

Unjust killings are unjust - of course. My point is that trying to imply every killing of a black any person is unjust is not realistic. Focus on the wrongful killings should also focus on the problems that exacerbate the problem / increase the likelyness that someone is going to get killed. The vast majority of blacks being killed are being killed by other black people. Racist brutal cops should definitely be held accountable for their actions but it would also help if black people stopped killing each other.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, 93 percent of black homicides were indeed committed by other blacks between 1980 and 2008. In 2012, the most recent data posted on the Web, the figure was 91 percent.

You're not looking at the whole picture here, I think. Yes, black people kill the most black people...but most black people spend most of their time around other black people. People usually kill people they know, so...

Also, black people are far poorer than white people, which is easily enough traced to discrimination, fewer opportunities, poorer education, etc. Most violence happens in poorer areas, so...

Then there's the fact that black people are disproportionately targeted by police.

All of these factors together, along with others I've undoubtedly forgotten to include, mean that black people are have reason for these protests. As for the 'inconvenience' factor...that's kinda the point of ANY protest. If you're not inconveniencing anyone no one will pay any attention to you. By all accounts they were peaceful as such protests usually are. I don't see a problem with it.

You don't see a problem with hassling people who, likely, have not offended you or taken any action against you in such a way?

Quotable Prophet

Saless
David2074
I fail to see how acting like assholes is going to win people over to their cause.
Peaceful or not they were still trespassing on private property with the intent of annoying patrons by interrupting their meals and forcing them to listen to their rant. Nobody wants that whether your message is about race or religion or a new brand of soap.

Also, not every shooting of a black person any person is unjust just because some of them are. Some of the statistics from the FBI and other sources indicate black youth are six times more likely to commit violent crimes like robbery and murder and even leaders in the black community acknowledge this isn't all explained away with "cuz racist law / legal system".

Unjust killings are unjust - of course. My point is that trying to imply every killing of a black any person is unjust is not realistic. Focus on the wrongful killings should also focus on the problems that exacerbate the problem / increase the likelyness that someone is going to get killed. The vast majority of blacks being killed are being killed by other black people. Racist brutal cops should definitely be held accountable for their actions but it would also help if black people stopped killing each other.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, 93 percent of black homicides were indeed committed by other blacks between 1980 and 2008. In 2012, the most recent data posted on the Web, the figure was 91 percent.

You're not looking at the whole picture here, I think. Yes, black people kill the most black people...but most black people spend most of their time around other black people. People usually kill people they know, so...

Also, black people are far poorer than white people, which is easily enough traced to discrimination, fewer opportunities, poorer education, etc. Most violence happens in poorer areas, so...

Then there's the fact that black people are disproportionately targeted by police.

All of these factors together, along with others I've undoubtedly forgotten to include, mean that black people are have reason for these protests. As for the 'inconvenience' factor...that's kinda the point of ANY protest. If you're not inconveniencing anyone no one will pay any attention to you. By all accounts they were peaceful as such protests usually are. I don't see a problem with it.

I think the picture is pretty clear. We have a bunch of people protesting and martyring criminals because the criminals were black, even if the situations they were in could have been completely avoidable on the part of the criminals had they chosen NOT to commit crimes, resist arrest, or attack police officers in the first place. And that a number of the protesters themselves are also choosing to commit crimes, resist arrest, and attack/threaten police officers does not help to convince that they're the ones being wronged, especially when it's pretty clear they're basing their justification for doing so on false information.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Saless
David2074

Actually no, those factors did not escape me when I wrote the stuff above.
Regardless of the social / economic reasons it does not change the fact that per capita a much larger percentage of blacks commit violent crimes than whites. It is also true a much larger percentage of black youth are in gangs. So it is not surprising that a larger number of them are also involved in negative interactions with police that sometimes includes shootings.

While I do think bad racist cop is bad, the viewpoint of some folks speaking out about those situations seems to be that some questionable shootings somehow proves that every time a black person is shot it is unjust and racist. Sometimes it is just a criminal getting what he deserves, regardless of his skin color.

And you are wrong about protests.
There are plenty of protests that are highly visible without necessarily being inconvenient and without illegal trespassing and harassment of people and disrupting private businesses. If you think you have to have those factors in order for it to be a valid protest I feel you are sadly mistaken.

In a nearby town there was a group who frequently protested downtown near the federal building at the intersection of two busy streets. They occupied all four corners and had large signs so everyone passing could easily see the point of view they promoting. They had high visibility but I have passed them many times both in a vehicle and on foot and they did not harass people or block vehicle or pedestrian traffic or break the law in any way.

When I was in Japan, the first day there they had a lot of protesters demonstrating against the presence of my ship (or so I was told that's what it was). At the time, many years ago, we were the first nuclear ship to visit there in - maybe ever - and some folks were understandably touchy after the bombs in WW2. The demonstration was pretty large with hundreds of people marching. But it was also very orderly and polite and no one hated on me in my sailor uniform. They were clearly and loudly making their view heard but without breaking the law and everyone I met in Japan was very nice to me.

I'm sure there are many other examples but my point is you don't have to break things and harass people and trespass to "demonstrate". And in general people are more willing to listen to your point of view when you are not being a d**k about how you state that point of view.
i wouldve called the cops and smile as they were forcefully removed from the premises.
Misty Moonsilver
Oh gosh. Here we go.
I've met police MANY times and never had a problem. Some were pretty hot, I love a man in uniform* 4laugh Sooooo why wasn't I shot?♣ I wish people would just shut up and take care of their business. Yes, sometimes police overstep their boundaries but not every single freaking time.

♣Maybe because you're a girl? How many females have been killed by police recently?

*: Ewwwwwww.
Hell Rides With GSK
Saless
David2074

You don't see a problem with hassling people who, likely, have not offended you or taken any action against you in such a way?

Ignorance is a hassle to have to work around, Gunny.

Who's really doing the hassling here.
Think about it.

Hey you know what, I seem to recall you maybe having some differences with the good folk of the community on one occasion although that's far and foggy in my mind. Tell you what. How about some solidarity for the movement, sister. How about it.
David2074

There seem to be lot of things you "fail to see."

Quote:
Also, not every shooting of a black person any person is unjust just because some of them are.

I'm facepalming over this.

Quote:
Some of the statistics from the FBI and other sources indicate black youth are six times more likely to commit violent crimes like robbery and murder and even leaders in the black community acknowledge this isn't all explained away with "cuz racist law / legal system".

Inherently, citing this general statistic cannot be used to assert that any specific killing was "justifed". And a rightly-consituted legal system will hold that any known-to-be-intentional homicide is at least second degree murder without great cause to otherwise consider it a justifiable use of force. The problem is that the actually-existing system gives police a virtual license to kill. And that's nothing compared to the "stand your ground law" in Florida!

Quote:
Unjust killings are unjust - of course. My point is that trying to imply every killing of a black any person is unjust is not realistic.

And what's realistic about expecting a community that is policed as though they were militarily occupied to be able to adopt the same dispassionate "openness" to the possibility that the person shot "had it coming to them" as a white middle-class suburb? When, for example, the prosecutor intentionally rigged the grand jury process in such a manner as to lead to the exoneration of Officer Wilson - including accepting the testimony of a pro-Wilson witness whose testimony the same prosecutor admitted was completely fraudulent!

Quote:
Focus on the wrongful killings should also focus on the problems that exacerbate the problem / increase the likelyness that someone is going to get killed. The vast majority of blacks being killed are being killed by other black people. Racist brutal cops should definitely be held accountable for their actions but it would also help if black people stopped killing each other.

Most people tend to be killed by people personally known to them, period. Which generally means people of the same race or ethnicity. So, it's not exactly an earth-shattering revelation to point out these statistics. So why point it out in the first place?

If you're attempting to use this to somehow demonstrate that black-on-black killings are somehow swept under the rug by black activists, you're not merely factually incorrect (see below), you're sounding like a Fox News commentator, and that is hardly metaphorical.

Quote:
"Out with guns, in with jobs," the Rev. Jesse Jackson said to me in his trademark gravelly voice. "We're going to march in 20 cities" hard hit by the gun violence that has made the streets of America a bigger killing field for young black men in the United States than the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have been for U.S. troops.

"Each year … about 7,000 African Americans are murdered, more than nine times out of 10 by other African Americans," Jackson said in a painful acknowledgment of a crisis that for too long has received "drive-by" attention from most black leaders.

(link)

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
azulmagia
David2074

Quote:
Also, not every shooting of a black person any person is unjust just because some of them are.

Quote:
Some of the statistics from the FBI and other sources indicate black youth are six times more likely to commit violent crimes like robbery and murder and even leaders in the black community acknowledge this isn't all explained away with "cuz racist law / legal system".

Inherently, citing this general statistic cannot be used to assert that any specific killing was "justifed". And a rightly-consituted legal system will hold that any known-to-be-intentional homicide is at least second degree murder without great cause to otherwise consider it a justifiable use of force. The problem is that the actually-existing system gives police a virtual license to kill. And that's nothing compared to the "stand your ground law" in Florida!

Quote:
Unjust killings are unjust - of course. My point is that trying to imply every killing of a black any person is unjust is not realistic.

And what's realistic about expecting a community that is policed as though they were militarily occupied to be able to adopt the same dispassionate "openness" to the possibility that the person shot "had it coming to them" as a white middle-class suburb? When, for example, the prosecutor intentionally rigged the grand jury process in such a manner as to lead to the exoneration of Officer Wilson - including accepting the testimony of a pro-Wilson witness whose testimony the same prosecutor admitted was completely fraudulent!

Quote:
Focus on the wrongful killings should also focus on the problems that exacerbate the problem / increase the likelyness that someone is going to get killed. The vast majority of blacks being killed are being killed by other black people. Racist brutal cops should definitely be held accountable for their actions but it would also help if black people stopped killing each other.

Most people tend to be killed by people personally known to them, period. Which generally means people of the same race or ethnicity. So, it's not exactly an earth-shattering revelation to point out these statistics. So why point it out in the first place?

If you're attempting to use this to somehow demonstrate that black-on-black killings are somehow swept under the rug by black activists, you're not merely factually incorrect (see below), you're sounding like a Fox News commentator, and that is hardly metaphorical.

Quote:
"Out with guns, in with jobs," the Rev. Jesse Jackson said to me in his trademark gravelly voice. "We're going to march in 20 cities" hard hit by the gun violence that has made the streets of America a bigger killing field for young black men in the United States than the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have been for U.S. troops.

"Each year … about 7,000 African Americans are murdered, more than nine times out of 10 by other African Americans," Jackson said in a painful acknowledgment of a crisis that for too long has received "drive-by" attention from most black leaders.

(link)

You seem to flip back and forth between serious conversation and intentional trolling.
I am unsure which you think your last post was but you definitely chose to twist some of my words - or at least what was intended by them.

Not sure why you are "facepalming" over the comment above.
My point was that some police shootings of suspects are justified because some people are violent criminals who attack police and so on - regardless of race. But due to the recent news stories I seem some people immediately assuming "racist" when the read about the shooting of a black even when they do not know the details of the situation. My point was that is not automatically the case.

Yes, some "black leaders" acknowledge the violence among their people.
But if you read the comments made by various folks about these stories there are a lot of black folks who come across as being rather racist and just assume the black guy is innocent and the white guy is a racist hater - even if they do not know the details of the situation. Whatever the situation.

I never "asserted that any specific killing was "justifed"" That's just you twisting my words.
In fact just the opposite. I was pointing out that no specific killing is automatically "not justified" and deserves a thorough investigation instead of just folks automatically crying "racist cop".

But... whatever. If you are in your troll mode you'll just make grand sweeping arguments that pretty much ignore what I'm saying anyway.
David2074
azulmagia
David2074

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

(link)

You seem to flip back and forth between serious conversation and intentional trolling.
I am unsure which you think your last post was but you definitely chose to twist some of my words - or at least what was intended by them.

Not sure why you are "facepalming" over the comment above.

Because it's a specious comment that's masquerading as common sense that at least some of them "had it coming".

Quote:
My point was that some police shootings of suspects are justified because some people are violent criminals who attack police and so on - regardless of race.

There are violent criminals in Germany too, and they (presumably) also attack police, but police shootings there are NOWHERE NEAR the rate you find in the United States. Ditto up here in Canada.

You have to cop to (no pun intended) that there is a problem with police violence in the United States in general and against minorities in particular.

Quote:
But due to the recent news stories I seem some people immediately assuming "racist" when the read about the shooting of a black even when they do not know the details of the situation. My point was that is not automatically the case.

They also have no reason to trust that the police, let alone the justice system, will treat them equitably. They are therefore not disposed to give the police a "fair shake"...whatever that is.

Moreover, I fail to see the RELEVANCE of your point. OK, so there are an strangely unspecified number of black people who automatically come to the conclusion that the black guy "dindu nuffin". Put aside, for a moment, that this is nothing more than the mirror image of the attitude that the police virtually never get it wrong.* What I want to know is, SO WHAT? What does this have bearing on?

* which is not exactly an attitude of some random people, but the more or less OFFICIAL attitude of the police/justice system itself, given the miniscule number of officers who actually get charged with anything.

Quote:
Yes, some "black leaders" acknowledge the violence among their people.
But if you read the comments made by various folks about these stories there are a lot of black folks who come across as being rather racist and just assume the black guy is innocent and the white guy is a racist hater - even if they do not know the details of the situation. Whatever the situation.

Again, this is GERMANE to what precisely?

Quote:
I never "asserted that any specific killing was "justifed"" That's just you twisting my words.
In fact just the opposite. I was pointing out that no specific killing is automatically "not justified" and deserves a thorough investigation instead of just folks automatically crying "racist cop".

If you want to argue that there are justified police shootings of black people, then you indeed have to produce specific examples of justified police shootings of black people. That should be obvious. Citing that "black youth are six times more likely to commit violent crimes like robbery and murder" establishes absolutely nothing. Logically speaking, that statistic has NOTHING to say on what percentage of police shootings of blacks are "justified". It is even compatible with a hypothetical situation where literally ALL the police shootings were unjustified. I must additionally point out that solid numbers on how many people are shot at by American cops are outright unobtainable.

Quote:
But... whatever. If you are in your troll mode you'll just make grand sweeping arguments that pretty much ignore what I'm saying anyway.

Well, that is a problem, because I have hard time trying to figure out exactly what are you trying to argue. Pointing out that maybe some police shootings are justified and that maybe some black people simply leap to conclusions about how racist might both be true as facts, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how they relate to the problem at hand. Because, if you are asserting that these protestors regard all the police shootings as unjust, then you are making a red herring argument, also I do not see how the protestors' position logically entails them believing that. If you're arguing that these protestors are knee-jerk cop-blamers, that's an argumentum ad hominem.

I mean what is even your point, that if even ONE of the shootings that the protesters are decrying were justified, these protestors should just pack up and go home? Or that they only have grounds to protest if x% of shootings are unjustified? What position are you even arguing against by pointing out these things? I am pretty sure it is not that of the protestors.They bear no relevance to the problem that these protestors are protesting. Which - strictly speaking - I do not see you even addressing.

I hate to be one to break it to you but polls consistently indicate that Black Americans and White Americans have WILDLY divergent evaluations on how equitably the police deal with minorities.

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
azulmagia

Then allow me to summarize it for you.
Just because some cops somewhere are not just does not make it okay for self entitled assholes to trespass, interrupt private businesses and harass restaurant patrons who had nothing to do with it.
There are ways to protest that don't do that.

Magical Girl

I'm amazed how much white people praise nonviolent methods of protest, especially with regards to the civil rights movement, but then complain and eagerly engage in the same behavior white people did when cops busted sit-ins, with MLK participating.

Magical Girl

Belock
Nobody Famous

Well said. I would like to see the video of the same nut jobs trying this in a state like Texas though. I think it would have better results lol
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Dangerous Cat

40,625 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
HMS Thunder Child
Belock
Nobody Famous

Well said. I would like to see the video of the same nut jobs trying this in a state like Texas though. I think it would have better results lol
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Lol, took me a moment to get the reference there, but well done. ^^

Hoarder

HMS Thunder Child

Obviously I get it. Please explain how I'm being salty for stating they did it in one of the worst places they possibly could have.

Dangerous Cat

40,625 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
Nobody Famous
Saless
David2074

I think the picture is pretty clear. We have a bunch of people protesting and martyring criminals because the criminals were black, even if the situations they were in could have been completely avoidable on the part of the criminals had they chosen NOT to commit crimes, resist arrest, or attack police officers in the first place. And that a number of the protesters themselves are also choosing to commit crimes, resist arrest, and attack/threaten police officers does not help to convince that they're the ones being wronged, especially when it's pretty clear they're basing their justification for doing so on false information.

Uh, don't know what news you've been watching but most of the deaths sited do not involve any of the things you just said. Some of them were unarmed and not resisting and they were still gunned down, tased, etc. Some had committed no crimes at all. The police reaction was completely unreasonable and made the situation much more serious than it needed to be.

As for the protesters themselves...just because a few do stupid things does not mean you get to paint them all as 'thugs' and criminals. Most of the protesters have been totally peaceful and respectful.

I find it interesting that thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of black people can protest peacefully but a few people get violent, loot, etc. and they're all 'thugs' and criminals. But Bundy can refuse to pay fees he lawfully owed (and which everyone else in that business pays without complaint) and a bunch of white people show up with guns to keep the federal agents from confiscating his cattle (as they had a right to do because of his refusal to pay his debts) and they're heroes. Some of them then go on a rampage killing cops and they're just a couple of crazies and the rest of the, white, protesters who pointed guns at federal agents are still heroes...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/06/cliven-bundy-standoff_n_5561863.html
http://rt.com/usa/164896-las-vegas-shooting-swastika-police/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas