Welcome to Gaia! ::

Adorable Fisher

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-would-let-michigan-doctors-emts-refuse-to-treat-gay-patients/

Bill would let Michigan doctors, EMTs refuse to treat gay patients

LANSING, Mich. -- Can doctors and emergency medical technicians legally refuse to give life saving assistance to a gay person, because of their religious beliefs? That question is being debated in the Michigan legislature.

The Republican-led House has approved the Michigan Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which essentially states that people do not have to perform an act that would violate their sincerely held religious beliefs.

"For example, a Christian doctor who does not believe in a gay lifestyle would not have to treat a gay patient," CBS Detroit legal analyst Charlie Langton said. "Or perhaps, a Jewish butcher would not have to handle non-Kosher meat."

Opponents say the bill, which is modeled after a federal law upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, legalizes discrimination. Critics say extreme cases may unfairly deny people basic rights.

House Speaker Jase Bolger,who sponsored the bill, said the intention is to protect people's religious beliefs from government overreach.

"The individual must show they have a sincerely held religious belief that has been substantially burdened," Bolger, a Republican, said in a statement. "This bill is not a license to discriminate; the courts have already demonstrated for decades that wild claims will not be supported."

"These bills are about the individual freedoms and rights that our country was founded on," Republican Rep. Greg MacMaster, who voted for the bill, said in a statement. "Michigan residents simply need the reassurance that they can practice their faith without the fear of being harassed or sued, or their businesses threatened by government action."

But Rep. Jeff Irwin, an Ann Arbor Democrat, warned it would "open the door to discrimination and the types of behavior that otherwise violates the laws of the state of Michigan."

He said while legislators may think the bill is about safeguarding a baker from having to make a wedding cake for a same-sex couple, it's "much broader." Democrats warned that government workers with sincere religious beliefs could be allowed to show bias against someone from another faith, mentioning that pharmacists could deny birth control to women.

If state senators want to act on the bill, they'll have to do it quick -- the legislative session ends next week, and the bill will die if it's not voted on, CBS Detroit reported.

At least 19 states have approved laws mirroring the federal law, which prohibits the government from imposing a substantial burden on the exercise of religion for anything other than a compelling government interest pursued in the least restrictive way, according to the Associated Press.

Kawaii Shoujo

That's absolutely deplorable stressed

Romantic Werewolf

15,950 Points
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Threadmaster 200
I would support it if it specifically excluded healthcare personnel from pulling this sort of stunt and costing someone a life. Sorry, that gay couple could feel free to ******** right the hell off and get their cake somewhere else, they didn't NEED to get it there. They just wanted to force their beliefs on someone else.

Anxious Informer

9,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
Kai-Shan Valandria
I would support it if it specifically excluded healthcare personnel from pulling this sort of stunt and costing someone a life. Sorry, that gay couple could feel free to ******** right the hell off and get their cake somewhere else, they didn't NEED to get it there. They just wanted to force their beliefs on someone else.

The nature of health care professions is to provide health services to those who need them. If they're going to turn someone away because of their sexuality, they need to find another profession.

Big Member

10,675 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Noob wrangler 100
  • Brandisher 100
Eh. I’m speaking as a Christian... you don’t work for a government entity only expecting to serve people of your faith. That’s like saying you work at a restaurant that only serves males.

Do you want to be a doctor who treats only Christians? Go for it. But don’t register to be a state-recognized doctor. And if you do, at least perform real treatments on people.

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Oh my god this is just disgusting. stressed stressed
Seriously what the hell Michigan?! If you're not going to treat certain people, 'ere's a piece of advice for ya...
DON'T BECOME A DOCTOR! scream
CorpseViolin
Seriously what the hell Michigan?! If you're not going to treat certain people, 'ere's a piece of advice for ya...

Knead? What YOU knead are some more lessons. But there's hope for you yet!
I agree! It's absolutely delicious. I couldn't do a better job myself. Well, I could of course, but you understand the turn of phrase.

Anxious Informer

9,000 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
[NPC] Rordan Gamsey
Amor Vincit
Kai-Shan Valandria

The nature of health care professions is to provide health services to those who need them. If they're going to turn someone away because of their sexuality, they need to find another profession.

The quality of your ingredients definitely affects the quality of your cooking, but that's hardly of note when what you�re cooking is already rubbish. �All natural� dirt and trash is still dirt and trash, when you get right down to it.

Whoo! I got quoted by Rordan Gamsey! I don't even care that what he said was "mean" 3nodding
Amor Vincit
[NPC] Rordan Gamsey
Amor Vincit
Kai-Shan Valandria

The quality of your ingredients definitely affects the quality of your cooking, but that's hardly of note when what you�re cooking is already rubbish. �All natural� dirt and trash is still dirt and trash, when you get right down to it.

Whoo! I got quoted by Rordan Gamsey! I don't even care that what he said was "mean" 3nodding
You, you, hey you, yeah you, this is cooked beautifully, yeah?

Super Streaker

9,175 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
[NPC] Rordan Gamsey
CorpseViolin

I agree! It's absolutely delicious. I couldn't do a better job myself. Well, I could of course, but you understand the turn of phrase.

rofl Hello Rordon!
CorpseViolin
[NPC] Rordan Gamsey
CorpseViolin

rofl Hello Rordon!
Oh, Come on!
Not what the law says. It's fear mongering at its root. Comparing a ******** baker to an EMT is ignorant. Only thing dumber is falling for it.

Dedicated Firestarter

23,975 Points
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • Comrades in Arms 150
  • Firestarter 200
I guess there no longer will be the Hippocratic oath anymore.
If this passes, I officially give up on all theists and refuse to be nice to anyone that is not family. I mean this. They don't deserve it. If I ever go to that place.... *sighs* Why... I WAS JOKING, all the time when I said that there would be a slippery slope with the hobby lobby s**t. But apparently I was ******** right.
There will be bills that allow people to just discriminate people on sight. Cause not all gays have 'I am a homosexual' tattooed on their forehead. So this is just going to have people getting to basically be discriminating anyone they damn well please, and just site "he looked gay" to avoid charges of negligence.
******** you Michigan, may santa stuff coal up your arse so far it turns to diamonds because of how uptight you are.

Nimble Wolf

28,875 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Hunter 50
  • Invisibility 100
The downside of this whole bill was how it came about I think. The ramification are terrible, but Michigan is hiding devil spawn if a bill like that actually went somewhere.

At least, seeing as there's no Hippocratic oath, I can pull a Kavorican and no one will be prosecuted. My family gets my insurance and the hospital doesn't have to bring me back to life. Now to move to Michigan once I get terminally ill...

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff