Welcome to Gaia! ::

6,850 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Contributor 150
Okay out of curiosity, so what other choices are there for the games to be held if not in Russia or in Canada or the U.S? And I support LGBT community and everything, but if the games were moved to somewhere else, would they even have enough time to plan for it when the games are held in February? emotion_eyebrow

Liberal Fatcat

RaidonUchiha1020
Okay out of curiosity, so what other choices are there for the games to be held if not in Russia or in Canada or the U.S? And I support LGBT community and everything, but if the games were moved to somewhere else, would they even have enough time to plan for it when the games are held in February? emotion_eyebrow

That's what Ive been thinking. Its a half year away and Russia has been preparing for the athletes since it's name was called 4 years ago. It may seem like still a long time away, but when it comes to the largest multinational sporting event and the time it takes to organize and get the venues ready, half a year is little in comparison to 4 years of preparation. The LGBT has all my support as well, but is it really possible to just move the Olympics to another country within such a short time frame?
And no disrespect to the Canadians, but we just had the winter games there. Canada didnt even make bids for 2014 since they had the 2010 games. Sure they have the venues for it, but Canada had their turn. :/

Snuggly Buddy

29,150 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conventioneer 300
Lord Akhenaton
Steam Punk Adept
xdivision_whitey
Lord Akhenaton
So let me get this straight. Gays are making a fuss about Russia having the Olympics, but they had no problem with the Olympics in Salt Lake, a place where gays are often found homeless because the LDS church demands abandonment of any kid who is gay? Protest all you want but be ******** consistent.
Funny how it's okay to have Olympics in China but not in Russia? Anyways Canada already had the winter Olympics in 2010.
Neither of you understand the situation.

There wasn't an outcry against Salt Lake City or China because neither was a potential trip to prison simply for expressing who you are in regards to your homosexuality. In Russia, if an athlete wears a Rainbow pin, he or she faces prison time.

In Utah, Sodomy is a felony.

And so gays are feeling butthurt?

(sorry, that was lame)

Anyway, I agree with their cause but I doubt the games will be changed. All of that is in motion long before the games take place. I think they have a better chance of not having Russia chosen to host a future olympics than changing a current one. And as others pointed out - China, Berlin, etc. Gays are not the only ones having rights oppressed or being treated unfairly in some parts of the world. I'm sure there are some who would say games should not be in the US because we are warmongers.

Loyal Trader

8,750 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
ussia is only picking and choosing the sins they do and do not like in the Bible. They are not concerned with how war causes death unless it effects them, adultery, divorce, how sexualized their media, etc. BUT when it comes to homosexuality, the world is going end. rolleyes God CLEALY COMMANDS to LOVE thy neighbor, HELP someone in need when they need it, LOVE your enemies, do GOOD to those who hate you, and do NOT repay EVIL for EVIL in the Bible and because of these verses God is definitely against any forms of discrimination. The Russian government and media have only shown a one sided view on the LGBT community such as showing drag queens and the gay parades but little did the citizens know that a majority of the LGBT community doesn't even do any of that. They used a basic psychological tactic, fear of the unknown to convince the citizens to turn against the LGBT and to continue it they have even blamed the decline of Russia population on them(I know that's crazy).

Russia is always saying how they do not want to end up like the city of Sodem and Gomorrah yet they completely ignore the story of Nineveh and how that city was full of so much hate and sin. When God left earth he stated that he would not interfere with any sins until Judgment day so if Russia turns out like Nineveh, their doomed. The amazing thing about this is that the CHURCH's supported the Anti-Gay law and because of that they have told everyone that God hates homosexual people and supports this kind of law. That is one of the most disgusting, revolting lies the Devil has ever put into someone's mind and I am SICK of people tainting the image of my God, someone who doesn't turn their back on ANYONE no matter what sin they have done(except for blasphemy).

When you watch Youtube video's(their are MANY) of the LGBT community and its supporters PEACEFULLY protesting against the law, Russia's own MILITARY members are hitting, beating, insulting, and them. Its SO sad and disgusting and I wish I could go through my computer screen and hug all those men and women who were being wrongfully mistreated. crying

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
I wanted to move them to Sapporo.
Well I'm glad that they're doing it in the first place.

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
Chibi Halo
          While I commend the efforts it's honestly way too late to move things. Oh sure you could say go to Calgary or Vancouver but they simply would not be able to pull off any kind of games with six months of planning. First off, there's no place to put the athletes. There's no venues for the outdoor events like skiing, biathlon, and skii jump. It just can not be done. On top of that LGBT groups in Russia are asking countries not to boycott the games. However, the most vocal voice against a US boycott comes from gold medal diver and openly gay Olympian Greg Louganis. He says while he's opposed to the laws in Russia and will do everything he can to get them changed boycotting the games would punish the wrong people. We wouldn't be punishing the government of Russia but rather the people who spent the last four years or more building everything needed for the games to take place. It would be a huge loss in money and ratings for the broadcasters. But most importantly, the diehard Olympic fans would be majorly pissed at the LGBT rights groups and that's not what they're hoping to achieve.

The rhetoric coming out on both sides of this issue is harkening back to the days of the cold war. The worst boycott of any Olympics was the 1980 summer games. The US boycotted the games because of the Iranian hostage situation. Canada, UK, and Australia pulled out because they were our allies and, as some people claim, Carter bullied them into it. A lot of other nations pulled out as well and were giving two very different reasons why. They told the US they were boycotting but they told The Soviets they just couldn't foot the costs of sending a team there. The boycott did absolutely nothing. It didn't change any policies and state run Soviet television spun things to make it look like "typical American belligerence". The Soviets responded in kind in 1984. It took until 1992 when the boycotting finally stopped.

Some of those calling for a boycott are asking for the games to be moved to Canada. That was floated back in 1980 and the Prime Minister of Canada at the time asked the Mayor of Montreal if it could be done. We finally know what that response was as it has finally been made public. The mayor said Montreal could host a games but it would be absolutely impossible to organize and hold properly the Olympic Games. On top of that the Mayor also stated the following, "I therefore venture to state that such an ideal ... is incompatible with any proposal to boycott the Games in any way or anywhere." Such a boycott just won't do what it hopes to accomplish. It won't change the laws in Russia. I'm not saying these groups shouldn't stop trying to get these laws changed but they should use other means of doing this because some of these boycotts are being done with no prior research, like that Vodka boycott. They're hurting the wrong people by doing this. Stoli Vodka isn't even produced in Russia it's produced in Latvia. So yes a boycott of the Olympic games just wouldn't be a smart move. In fact, it would go against the ideals of the modern Olympic games of uniting the world's youth despite the beliefs of their leaders in the spirit of sport.

(CBC article about how not to boycott the Olympics)

They still have all of the venues and stuff set up in Vancouver, from the last Olympics, actually. Accomodations would be a pain to work, yes, but it could be done, potentially.

7,650 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Citizen 200
This Isnt Sparta
RaidonUchiha1020

That's what Ive been thinking. Its a half year away and Russia has been preparing for the athletes since it's name was called 4 years ago. It may seem like still a long time away, but when it comes to the largest multinational sporting event and the time it takes to organize and get the venues ready, half a year is little in comparison to 4 years of preparation. The LGBT has all my support as well, but is it really possible to just move the Olympics to another country within such a short time frame?
And no disrespect to the Canadians, but we just had the winter games there. Canada didnt even make bids for 2014 since they had the 2010 games. Sure they have the venues for it, but Canada had their turn. :/

The US has had the Olympics three times now. Just saying.

The only reason Canada's been the name thrown around so much is because we still have most of the venues still set up and operational from the last winter olympics. We're the only country that could even come close to taking them on right now, in our current state.

Liberal Fatcat

Izzy Van Helsing
This Isnt Sparta
RaidonUchiha1020

The US has had the Olympics three times now. Just saying.

The only reason Canada's been the name thrown around so much is because we still have most of the venues still set up and operational from the last winter olympics. We're the only country that could even come close to taking them on right now, in our current state.

And the Canadians have had their share of hosting the games 3 times as well. What's your point?
In the case of the US, we havent hosted anything since 2002 in Salt Lake City, and Canada just had the last Winter Games. This isnt to say the US should be hosting the games now, we have nothing ready. I understand that Canada has the venues, but look how much time is left until February. There are 96 days left. Controversy or not, Russia is getting their venues ready for the athletes and the ceremonies, people are getting tickets and planning to travel to Russia and the torch is well into traveling around the country. To just turn around and say "the winter olympics are moving somewhere else because Russia doesnt deserve it" is just going to create a mess. My point is that its unrealistic and not feasiable to move it now so incredibly late in the game. I cant see it happening.
le fromage terrible

I'm think what would really stir up a fuss is if any competing athletes had the balls to boycott the games. Don't recall that happening when China hosted the summer games though so I won't hold my breath.

Didn't happen with Canada and Native Issues either.

That's how the olympics bloody well work.

What's always fun is that people who will protest / rage against Olympics in one country over an issue like... say.... gay rights? will go apeshit on anybody who speaks against their country's dirt when the wheel turns.

It's the Olympic way, mah - boy.
Hasuki Aatisuto

Russia seems to be making themselves look bad. Probably even moreso than North Korea. =/

I take it you are either a misguided psuedo-communist with your lips firmly attached to the Kims' asses, or you know absolutely nothing about North Korea.

Why don't you go live in the North Korean boonies and come from a family that isn't favoured (Or God forbid, actively disliked) by the party, then see what you think about that, huh?
Entropic Marionetta
Steam Punk Adept
xdivision_whitey
Lord Akhenaton
So let me get this straight. Gays are making a fuss about Russia having the Olympics, but they had no problem with the Olympics in Salt Lake, a place where gays are often found homeless because the LDS church demands abandonment of any kid who is gay? Protest all you want but be ******** consistent.
Funny how it's okay to have Olympics in China but not in Russia? Anyways Canada already had the winter Olympics in 2010.

There wasn't an outcry against Salt Lake City or China because neither was a potential trip to prison simply for expressing who you are in regards to your homosexuality. In Russia, if an athlete wears a Rainbow pin, he or she faces prison time.

So, they only give a s**t about homosexuality as an issue, but not anything else?
Like oppression of women?
I find that hysterical.

Or Tibet.

Or Native rights.
David2074
Lord Akhenaton
Steam Punk Adept
xdivision_whitey
Lord Akhenaton

In Utah, Sodomy is a felony.

And so gays are feeling butthurt?

(sorry, that was lame)

Anyway, I agree with their cause but I doubt the games will be changed. All of that is in motion long before the games take place. I think they have a better chance of not having Russia chosen to host a future olympics than changing a current one. And as others pointed out - China, Berlin, etc. Gays are not the only ones having rights oppressed or being treated unfairly in some parts of the world. I'm sure there are some who would say games should not be in the US because we are warmongers.

They said the same due to Canada and the Natives, and the same for China and Tibet.

And the funny part (this comes from experience) when it's their turn to host the olympics, I'd say a good 50% of these people will go utterly apeshit at anybody who dares to say a single word against their country.

I saw this s**t in Canada. People who were uber-vocal about Tibet saying that anybody protesting over native rights should be shot and their family charged for the bullet, because ******** you! Hyper-nationalism!
Keltoi Samurai

Specifically, there's a difference between disapproving of what Russia's doing and boycotting the Olympics because they won't adhere to our standards on how they should run their country.

Imperialism is bad, it seems, until some heathen nation disagrees with us on the subject of teh gays. Then, it's not just acceptable, it seems it's mandatory.

/Thread.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces