Welcome to Gaia! ::

Give me your opinions on Fallout 3 and New vegas! Pros and cons? Better or Worse? I got both games for christmas and still currently trying to beat Fallout 3 before I play New Vegas...just wondering what you guys think about the games. Or maybe you dont like the whole RPG deal? All opinions are welcome.

O.G. Poster

11,600 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Pie For All! 300
  • Olympian 200
Never played New Vegas, but I own the GotY of Fallout 3. Really fun [I prefer sandbox RPG's like this], but from what I know and understand, New Vegas is more of a return to the original Fallout. It's still first/third person like in 3, but there's more things in the game that return it closer to the original. Which makes it sound harder.

Which makes it sound awesome.
Fallout 3 all the way. New Vegas is still a good game, but it severely lacks in story, which was less fun for me. And while 3 has its fair share of glitches, those in New Vegas were sometimes game-breaking.

What was fun for me in New Vegas was that it was a lot more retro-futuristic, and some of the quests were a little more fun. Also, gambling. blaugh Fallout 3 had an engrossing storyline and amazing characters, so it was very cool for me to completely immerse myself in it! whee

Good luck on New Vegas!
Fallout 3 or new vegas cant say they both have glitches but story wise I like em both but new vegas went back to connect the roots to the original fallout 1 and 2..3 had its own story but it was awesome!! had fun in both games so to me they are equal my favorite rpgs on console

Dapper Dabbler

9,150 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Millionaire 200
  • Guildmember 100
Fallout 3. Of course, I don't have New Vegas, but my cousin does and I watched him play it and he let me play some... The only thing that kills me about Fallout 3 (other than the bugs that occasionally occur) is the fact that you have to have the Broken Steel add-on to play past the end. neutral

Music: Fallout 3 had more musical variety, but less radio stations. On Galaxy News Radio, you could hear oldies music, and on Enclave Radio, you hear patriotic music. On New Vegas, from what my cousin said, the music is all the same and it's "sucky."
Storyline: On Fo3, you find your father and purify (or poison) the waters of Virginia, while in New Vegas, you find the man who shot you in the head...? While both main quests are interesting, I believe that the quest for Fo3 takes the cake.
Main Character: In New Vegas, you don't know anything about the character, other than that s/he is a courier and was shot in the head by Benny. You don't really get to develop your character as much because you know less about them. In Fo3, you are playing through the major parts of your character's life since they came from the womb, such as birth, reading your first skill book, having your tenth birthday where the Pipboy3000 is received, taking the G.O.A.T test, and leaving the vault to find Dad. Therefore, there's much more character development.
People: The people in New Vegas aren't as food desperate, and it's almost like the nuclear war never happened. Besides, almost everyone is your friend and it's completely unrealistic. In Fo3, there are people (known as Raiders), that attack anyone on sight so they can get food. Some even take up residence in groceries, like Super Duper Mart. It's like...you don't know who's your friend and who isn't. 'Nuff said.
Weaponry: I will, admit, New Vegas beat Fo3 in this area. New Vegas has all kinds of mods and variety here where Fo3 does not. It also has more ammo (obviously) and from what I hear, you can craft medical supplies...? Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Followers: Both games are great with this, but I do enjoy the little menu that comes up for followers on New Vegas. That's something Fo3 is lacking... It is a great improvement, but it's lame how every time you go to see Caesar, you have to abandon your follower before you can even go inside.
I Sakura Hana I
Fallout 3. Of course, I don't have New Vegas, but my cousin does and I watched him play it and he let me play some... The only thing that kills me about Fallout 3 (other than the bugs that occasionally occur) is the fact that you have to have the Broken Steel add-on to play past the end. neutral

Music: Fallout 3 had more musical variety, but less radio stations. On Galaxy News Radio, you could hear oldies music, and on Enclave Radio, you hear patriotic music. On New Vegas, from what my cousin said, the music is all the same and it's "sucky."
Storyline: On Fo3, you find your father and purify (or poison) the waters of Virginia, while in New Vegas, you find the man who shot you in the head...? While both main quests are interesting, I believe that the quest for Fo3 takes the cake.
Main Character: In New Vegas, you don't know anything about the character, other than that s/he is a courier and was shot in the head by Benny. You don't really get to develop your character as much because you know less about them. In Fo3, you are playing through the major parts of your character's life since they came from the womb, such as birth, reading your first skill book, having your tenth birthday where the Pipboy3000 is received, taking the G.O.A.T test, and leaving the vault to find Dad. Therefore, there's much more character development.
People: The people in New Vegas aren't as food desperate, and it's almost like the nuclear war never happened. Besides, almost everyone is your friend and it's completely unrealistic. In Fo3, there are people (known as Raiders), that attack anyone on sight so they can get food. Some even take up residence in groceries, like Super Duper Mart. It's like...you don't know who's your friend and who isn't. 'Nuff said.
Weaponry: I will, admit, New Vegas beat Fo3 in this area. New Vegas has all kinds of mods and variety here where Fo3 does not. It also has more ammo (obviously) and from what I hear, you can craft medical supplies...? Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Followers: Both games are great with this, but I do enjoy the little menu that comes up for followers on New Vegas. That's something Fo3 is lacking... It is a great improvement, but it's lame how every time you go to see Caesar, you have to abandon your follower before you can even go inside.
THIS.
Personally, Fo3 beats New Vegas in every way but one. The story matters very little to me in sandbox games, as it is hard to build a truly customized character around a linear plot. With Vegas, you can shape the world to your whim, now if only a Broken Steel-esqe add-on that lets you see what your actions did.

Edit: I've never actually encountered a "game-breaking" glitch that everyone says happens, the worst being a freeze about 1 minute after saving, meaning no time lost. The worst that I see is a half scorpion stuck in a rock.

Also, @Sakura, The reason everyone is your friend is because the area is controlled almost fully by a true military force. The BoS couldn't keep the Washington area held down like the NCR, and the Super Mutants in Nevada are more sophisticated, almost all first gen mutants (the smart ones) and the bad ones aren't rampant. With a possibility of living around New Vegas for protection, there are less raiders as there is less of a chance that it will be the only option.

Invisible Mage

13,450 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Battle: Mage 100
I own both and played through 3 completely and so far 60 hours deep into NV.

And I pick NV.

Though it's not very fair to compare the two to be honest, though they take place in the world of Fallout they're in totally different areas. The reason why NV isn't desprate compared to 3 is because they wern't exploded to hell like DC was in 3.

3 follows a very linerar plot line, "Has thou seen thy father?" for a very large amount of the game and if you choose the bad choices in the game there's not that much of a large impact in the end. Karma makes little sense as it effects how your character will be spoken to in a whole rather then characters baseing off of your repertation in the game.

In NV you have choices, you can side with anyone in the game, your choices have a harder impact with how you are treated and how the story develops. It's more of a freeformed world full of different choices and what not rather then following a linear path of a story.

Another thing that I think NV excells at is the different monsters, Hardcore also brings in a different angle to the game and makes you glad there's food and drinks everywhere because you need it to survive.

The world of NV is much more colorful, fitting considering what Vegas is a gaint neon place and the desert isn't just a brown world of angst, 3 was very similar in all it's wrecks and there's a harder time finding where you need to go because there was just so much junk everywhere.

My main issue with NV was that it's buggy. Very, very buggy. But I did also run into bugs in 3 to the point of game break as well.

The world of 3 is dark, depressing and struggeling as they where bombed to hell and back. NV is a different spin where it's less struggeling for food and survival, but rather the survival of creating communitys and the mass amount of factions to be held.

Both games are good, but they're so different from each other that you can get both and you will get a different feel. But NV is able to give you a different feel everytime you play the game because of how many different ways you can play it. You can be a good guy and join the NCR, or be a good guy but join the Legion, be a thief and yet have a good rep with everyone, blahblahblah.

In 3, you're always looking for your dad. Always.

In NV, you can look for the guy who shot you, but then join up with any side you want.

There's also a lot more monsters and factions in NV that is just lacking in 3.

8,675 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I've gotten Fallout 3 either in 08 or 09 and I got New Vegas last Christmas. Spent days playing 3 while so far I spent at least 50 hours on NV. I say they both are awesome in similar and different ways. (I'd say people who say that NV follows some stuff from FO1 and 2 more than 3 did is a bit redundant since Obsidian Entertainment, the studio who developed NV, have many employees who worked for Black Isle Studios, the people who made the first two games, and many story elements and aspects from Van Buren (aka Black Isle Studios' cancelled FO3) are in NV). I can't really form a great opinion on which is greater since I have basically beaten FO3 (did all the main quests, including the DLC) and so far in the main story in NV, I got the chip and killed Benny - and got the gun he shoots you with I might add- and not going any farther for a moment cause I don't know whether NV actually ends like FO1 and 2 and you can't play after you beaten the main storyline or it continues like FO3 w/ Broken Steel DLC.

Oni Omoni's Princess

Sweetheart

Fallout New Vegas, I haven't gotten the chance to play that before, but I bet Fallout 3 is better. heart

Sinacious's Waifu

Glittering Trash

Fallout 3 was better in my opinion for the above reasons.
    ALTHOUGH, NV has the Hardcore option, which is really awesome, makes everything seem more realistic. (:
i have that and it is AWESOME!!!!! heart
there sort of the same but if i had to choose it would be fallout las vagas

Dangerous Lunatic

I would like to say nv is better, but then i haven't played 3 very much.
nv has more options for companions and each companion gives you a diffrent perk.
Like a robot dog that lights up guns ammo and chems when you zoom. they also took away big guns and put them in other catagorys, and it tells you what skill a wepon uses. they now have throwing wepons and if you look hard enuff you can find named wepons that do more damage. On top of that blowing people up with an orbital lazer is so much fun. There are still raiders, but the wild life is what you should fear.

2,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Member 100
I personally have to say New Vegas was better smile There were more companions which i really like, plus each one has an interesting back story. PLUS all of the factions that you can work for. biggrin

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff