Welcome to Gaia! ::

Sweet Gaian

My brother kept telling me not to drink it, because it's not good for women. Just want to know your opinion about it. Is all.

Dangerous Lover

17,025 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Medalist 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Dr. Oz says it is just fine for us.

Sweet Gaian

love of heart

Ok good! Cuz I enjoy drinking soy milk! It's sooooo good! Better than regular milk! 3nodding

Thanks for the reply. 3nodding

Dangerous Lover

17,025 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Medalist 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Yooms
love of heart

Ok good! Cuz I enjoy drinking soy milk! It's sooooo good! Better than regular milk! 3nodding

Thanks for the reply. 3nodding

No problem

Dapper Cultist

I heard that is contains extra estrogen and can mess with your levels. There's some debate wether it increases the chances of getting breast cancer or not. But I don't think that has been proven either way.

I greatly dislike Dr. Oz and feel he has shady advice. He has been called out on multiple occasions for shotty advice from other medical professionals.

May I ask why you want to know about soy milk? Are you lactose intolerant? There are other types of 'milk' that don't affect estrogen levels or lactose intolerant people. Almond milk is suppose to be very healthy and a good solution for people who otherwise can't drink milk.

Vector Theta's Husbando

Mega Man-Lover

Vlad T
I heard that is contains extra estrogen and can mess with your levels. There's some debate wether it increases the chances of getting breast cancer or not. But I don't think that has been proven either way.

I greatly dislike Dr. Oz and feel he has shady advice. He has been called out on multiple occasions for shotty advice from other medical professionals.

May I ask why you want to know about soy milk? Are you lactose intolerant? There are other types of 'milk' that don't affect estrogen levels or lactose intolerant people. Almond milk is suppose to be very healthy and a good solution for people who otherwise can't drink milk.

I wouldn't trust a "doctor" with any relation to a talk show, personally.

I second the almond milk suggestion. It's pretty low in calories if you get the unsweetened variety, which I prefer anyway.
There are studies that suggest that plant oestrogens do act as an endocrine disruptor, but only in huge amounts. Soya products have been listed as being a strong source of the aforementioned oestrogens, as have citrus fruits.

I also read something about it being a possible spermicide, but again, in large amounts.

But I think as long as you balance it out with a healthy lifestyle, you don't really have anything to fear.

little_sailor_jd's Significant Otter

Its just plant estrogen. I drink a lot of it, every day. I reckon the unhealthiest thing there is the coffee and syrups I drink it with.

Interesting Genius

1,350 Points
  • Member 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Gaian 50
it's the cow's milk that you need to avoid to. particularly commercial milk

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Erm no? I drink it from time to time (I don't drink milk that much. Doesn't matter what kind it is) and I've never had a problem with it. confused Besides, soy milk is a good substitute for vegans and lactose intolerants.
It messed me up. I don't know if I was just hypersensitive to the plant estrogen, but I ended up with an ureteral fibroid- which might have been caused by estrogen excess. And I got the excess estrogen from the soy milk I was drinking for more than 5 years.
So, I avoid soy like the plague. And there are other milks out there that are better, I like to use rice milk in my smoothies 3nodding And soy isn't the only plant rich in protein, most plants have a lot of protein and are very healthy, like green vegetables, lentils, quinoa…
Personally, I think the health benefits of soy has been overplayed by the manufacturers of the soy product. Just like milk as been overplayed, and whole wheat, even meat.

Profitable Sex Symbol

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
Dr. Oz isn't really a nutritionist or a source of real health information. He pushes fads like any other show that's straining for material.

That being said soymilk is fine for you. A lot of people (particularly men though) propagate nay-say about soy milk because of its estrogen content. I've heard everything from 'it makes you gay' to 'it gives you breasts'. Beer will give you a belly and moobs because of its estrogen and caloric content, but not soymilk.

People have been drinking it in China since around the supposed time of Christ, if it had any adverse health effects of all peoples the Chinese would have discovered it.

Profitable Sex Symbol

8,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
But if you can afford it, get almond milk instead. It tastes better in cereal and coffee, with the exception of cappucino-flavored soymilk. Almond-based products also have the dietary advantage of containing an enzyme that makes you feel full.

Anxious Genius

6,500 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Gaian 50
From what I've heard, is that if you have a history of cysts in your family, soy can actually stimulate cyst growth.

Autobiographer

A lot of people have touched on real problems with soy milk. It depends on how often you consume it and how much and your genetics/sensitivity. However, if you rely on it for a protein source be careful about switching to some almond milks or other types of milk substitutes as they don't all have as much protein. I've seen a lot of almond milks, for example, that only have 1g of protein per serving.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff