Welcome to Gaia! ::

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Several weeks ago, I fasted and broke my fast with a nice rice bowl! surprised It was brown rice with veggies and chicken chunks mixed in that I made in my rice cooker. Sounded delish! However, even after fasting for nearly a day or however long it was, that still wasn't enough to make brown rice taste all that great.

Fast-forward to yesterday. I decided to open up a package of beans that had been collecting dust in my pantry and finally make that. I also made brown rice and salmon. The rice had onions & peppers mixed in. The salmon was topped with this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'm eating it now while at work. Goddamn this s**t sucks! burning_eyes
The salmon with the seasoning is very good. HOWEVER, the rice is still meh and the beans are blander than bland. I just mixed BBQ sauce in with the beans and they still suck.

Yeah, I'm probably never going to buy brown rice or plain beans again. emotion_facepalm I have one more package or brown rice and one more package of another type of bean. After I finish those two, this little healthy eating experiment is over. I'll still eat healthy...but with tasty food like white rice and the occasional canned beans.

Discuss.

robotic being's Husband

Folding Bear

14,850 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Timid 100
  • The Sweetest 250
Yeah brown rice is just nasty lol I've tried many different brands trying to find a decent one burning_eyes It's somewhat better if you mix diced onion into it.

White rice is practically candy compared crying

You could try quinoa or couscous, they're healthy and taste pretty good imo

Aged Girl

Brown rice is rather... Different. Try making it Caribbean style.
This is also known as 'rice pilaf' to some Americans.

Fashionable Millionaire

7,650 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I totally feel the same way. I have to help my husband lose 70 pounds and I switched all meats to Turkey and cut out red meats like steak (and who doesnt love a good steak crying ) Honestly, the turkey isnt that bad of a switch, it tastes different but its still really good and much MUCH healthier for you (Italian turkey meatball subs are AMAZING)
But eating right isnt the only problem people have. Alot of people are not watching their PORTION sizes, and that cuts majorly into your bodies health. So just make sure you read the portion size info on your food and enjoy what you can smile Good luck
Brown rice is just one of those things you have to get used to. I've been eating white rice all my life and when I moved in with some friends for college, they wanted to eat healthy. They made brown rice instead of white and it was definitely different. I eventually got used to it though. It's really not that bad. Brown rice with grilled chicken and grilled asparagus is so delicious.
I find the species of rice makes a difference. Personally, I eat basmati rice, which is typically used in Indian dishes, over long grain, typical in Chinese cuisine. Side note, basmati also takes longer to digest, thus you feel fuller longer.

Try mixing in some wild rice for flavour, or look into sauces that don't break your diet.

Girl-Crazy Exhibitionist

9,600 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Am I the only person who can barely distinguish brown rice from white rice...? sweatdrop At it's best, brown rice tastes nutty, almost sweet to me. Both usually taste bland to me though.

Beloved Browser

Try it with curry : )
I like it with Vermont Curry.

Invisible Lunatic

Ever considered that you're just a s**t cook?

Also there are so many more options that just brown rice and salmon.

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
RyaZombie

No, I'm pretty pro, if I do say so myself. emotion_yatta

Invisible Lunatic

Robert Ramos
RyaZombie

Yeah, I don't mean your ability to turn on a rice cooker and not overcook salmon, I mean actually making food taste good and being creative with ingredients, which you apparently suck at.

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
RyaZombie
Robert Ramos
RyaZombie

Yeah, I don't mean your ability to turn on a rice cooker and not overcook salmon, I mean actually making food taste good and being creative with ingredients, which you apparently suck at.
I just try not to use salt, that's all. razz
Brown rice isn't that different to me. A bit chewier and nuttier. You could try making different sauces to coat it in that might help. For cold beans, marinating them in a vinegar+other flavors is a good way to add a lot of flavor.

When it comes down to it, if you are use to a high fat and high salt diet things are gonna taste bland for a while as your body adjusts. It's like drinking alcohol. At first you mostly just taste the burn and a general flavor and it's not very good. After a while though you start to be able to pick out different hints and flavors.
Whoa whoa whoa, hold the phone..... back up..... They have adobo seasonings?! Where the F***** have i been?

I would try basmati rice if I were you. Its not processed and has an amazing aroma. Definitely a way better taste. Or you can try your salmon on top of a salad. Also amazing.

Newbie Gaian

3,650 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Hygienic 200
What you need is not only just salt, but perhaps more variety?

As many above have said, brown rice is more or less something you either like, learn to like or just throw it away while screaming at it. You should go half way and try whole-wheat-rice. It is some strange mix between white and brown rice..or something, I found it recently in the shops. Since I despise brown rice, this was a nice introduction!

But yeah, what I was going to say was if you have tried bulgur? CousCous? These are also in the category of being "tasteless", but that is because you have to make a really nice stew/sauce with them and add nice and tasty greenlies. Hell, throw some nice fruits in there as well that goes with cooking!

Also, beans, they are the best when they have been let to soak in a marinade or fried. You can either fry the beans with some garlic and oil and then squeeze some lemon or lime over them and toss them into a salad.

Yummly <<<<---- heaven.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces