Welcome to Gaia! ::

casual-timewaster
Naiax Sumooka
God, why doesn't anyone argue on this freakin thread!?

Well, I'm not sure if it was the non-sensationalist title, the coherent OP or the observant, although weighted, purpose?

I would like to know one thing, though, if you would be so good as to inform me: why is it that, when "neoliberal" is used to describe the kind of economic policy American firms seem to idealise, "liberal" seems to be a dirty word in American politics?

Because of the morons that use the name, for example, keith olberman.
casual-timewaster
Naiax Sumooka
casual-timewaster
Naiax Sumooka

Well, I'm not sure if it was the non-sensationalist title, the coherent OP or the observant, although weighted, purpose?

I would like to know one thing, though, if you would be so good as to inform me: why is it that, when "neoliberal" is used to describe the kind of economic policy American firms seem to idealise, "liberal" seems to be a dirty word in American politics?

o_0 So is this down to the tone of voice in delivery and/or contextually-inappropriate use, such as is used by a schoolchild trying to make an unweighted word into an insult for someone they dislike, or simply continuing to feed off the arse-end of McCarthyism, or an all-age-inclusive combination of the two?

whay do you mean? i was just saying

i don't like him.

Maddow is okay though

Hesitant Otaku

9,200 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Champion Cardholder 100
  • Invisibility 100
Naiax Sumooka
casual-timewaster
Naiax Sumooka
casual-timewaster
Naiax Sumooka

o_0 So is this down to the tone of voice in delivery and/or contextually-inappropriate use, such as is used by a schoolchild trying to make an unweighted word into an insult for someone they dislike, or simply continuing to feed off the arse-end of McCarthyism, or an all-age-inclusive combination of the two?

whay do you mean? i was just saying

i don't like him.

Maddow is okay though

I mean that I'm not sure if you mean that people who willingly refer to themselves as liberals are all ostensibly either assholes or idiots, or that the word liberal is used in manner somehow perjorative, and so becomes an emotive term as the punter encounters it more.
For the most part, the reason "liberalism" has such a stigmais because the conservatives' best talent is simple:

Demonization of anything they disagree with.

Hesitant Otaku

9,200 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Invisibility 100
Understood.

stressed Damnit.
casual-timewaster
Understood.

stressed Damnit.

you ended our conversation. darn.

now no one will notice the thread

it's not like i can advertise man.

Hesitant Otaku

9,200 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Invisibility 100
Well, if it's any help, the other person I do this to was an Englishwoman, a bit the same way as you've just indicated: anything she disliked or disagreed with, she'd "never heard of" it, it was "a load of bulls**t" or was replaced with some crude witticism (e.g "Owl S***ty" when she was discussing/raging on the musicians on a certain compilation, in the belief that her favourite band had lowered themselves in participating in the project). Much as, for example, Fox News might ignore the existence or dismiss the validity of the content of a research article favouring something they oppose, or a politician may talk around a topic when the direct answer to the question they've been asked opposes their expressed beliefs.

All a bit c**tish, tbh.
casual-timewaster
Well, if it's any help, the other person I do this to was an Englishwoman, a bit the same way as you've just indicated: anything she disliked or disagreed with, she'd "never heard of" it, it was "a load of bulls**t" or was replaced with some crude witticism (e.g "Owl S***ty" when she was discussing/raging on the musicians on a certain compilation, in the belief that her favourite band had lowered themselves in participating in the project). Much as, for example, Fox News might ignore the existence or dismiss the validity of the content of a research article favouring something they oppose, or a politician may talk around a topic when the direct answer to the question they've been asked opposes their expressed beliefs.

All a bit c**tish, tbh.

Hmm... your avatar is a ninja.

Any chance you got into my head and started broadcasting my ideas????
This is why I've been staying away from discussing the bill for the most part. It's nearly impossible to get a clear understanding of what it will actually do or how it will affect me.

It REALLY bothers me to see people I know and respect getting swept up in all the media buzz. I really want to think the best of my loved ones, but they usually just sound like ignorant sheeple(dumb word, but it fits) when they quote opinions they heard in the media as absolute fact.

In any case, if I understand correctly I may be able to get back on my parents health care plan until I'm 26 based on the new bill, and i that's the case I will be THRILLED. I live every day in fear of sickness or injury that I am unprepared for and cannot afford.
TheVintageRomantic
This is why I've been staying away from discussing the bill for the most part. It's nearly impossible to get a clear understanding of what it will actually do or how it will affect me.

It REALLY bothers me to see people I know and respect getting swept up in all the media buzz. I really want to think the best of my loved ones, but they usually just sound like ignorant sheeple(dumb word, but it fits) when they quote opinions they heard in the media as absolute fact.

In any case, if I understand correctly I may be able to get back on my parents health care plan until I'm 26 based on the new bill, and i that's the case I will be THRILLED. I live every day in fear of sickness or injury that I am unprepared for and cannot afford.

yeah well according to alot of people who are against the bill, you aren't prepared or can't afford healthcare because you're a deadbeat without a job.

though i doubt their initial assumptions

Hesitant Otaku

9,200 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Invisibility 100
Naiax Sumooka
casual-timewaster

All a bit c**tish, tbh.

Hmm... your avatar is a ninja.

Any chance you got into my head and started broadcasting my ideas????

I should hope not. Those claws could do quite a bit of damge....

... srsly, though, I'm just a British student back from a fieldtrip with a messed-up sleep schedule, going off on caffeine and irritation. 3nodding
Well, it's 1 am where i live so i'm gonna sleep.

If anyone has a different point of view or would like to rebut my OP then please do so

We need a real argument/discussion on here

Thank you and goodnight

Hesitant Otaku

9,200 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Invisibility 100
Goodnight, OP.

I'll be off shortly myself, it's 6.20am. Goodness, I love bank-holidays.
Cyanide River
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

oooooo i SO agree with that, Fox is the most biased news organization out there......next to CNN, seriously i would rather take news from The Onion then those two.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff