Welcome to Gaia! ::

Ally

Do they lose once you lost weight?
And when I say lost weight, I typically mean fat-to-lean transformation.
And are there any remedies to make them disappear?

I'm a bit concerned 'cos I have stretch marks. emotion_8c
Any tips out there?
mrgreen Stretch marks are sexy, I know I like all the ones that I have. It is proof that I lost the weight... not that it is something to brag about too much.

Wealthy Genius

They're scar tissue are far as I understand, so maybe with surgery? Not 100% sure.
Not worth concerning yourself over, as long as you're healthy. People who matter won't give a damn about how many stretch marks you have.

SP.

Beloved Prophet

11,200 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
I've heard rubbing lotion or certain oils in the area with stretch marks daily will help them become less apparent at least.
I got stretch marks by losing weight while my brother got his from gaining. For me personally, I love my stretch marks because it shows the road of how healthy I have become. My older brother, on the other hand, hates his stretch marks because he gained weight. I call them his tiger stripes because I have low tolerance for body shaming.

But anyway, stretch marks are just your skin stretching, so you can get them whether you gain or lose. I dont think it's a big deal.

Coco Butter works.

Ally

Such beautiful answers! whee
You people have a point of not being shy having stretch marks.
Yes, it's proof that you've gone healthy once you get back in shape. 3nodding

Conservative Explorer

When I was a kid, I worked out too hard and got horizontal stretch marks on my thighs. I call 'em my "tiger stripes". Then I had a kid and I really got some stripes! They've faded for the most part. I can barely see them anymore. Some year for Halloween I'll probably get ahold of them with a Sharpie and growl at all the kiddies that come for candy.

Erm, I used to work at a tanning salon (because I obviously went insane for a few years) and sunshine is supposed to help lessen the color difference between the skin and stretchmarks. But if you do tan, please be very careful and don't get cancer or turn yourself into a tough old piece of leather! Considerably less attractive than kitty marks.
I have them all over my legs from when I hit puberty in middle school. It's been many many years, and I still have them. They've simply faded to a white, almost grey-ish colour. They're not going anywhere. sad

Fluffy Fatcat

14,550 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Partygoer 500
you will never lose them. they are scars and think about them like scars if you cut yourself the scars will be always there .Yes you can do many things to tune them off and make them almost invisible but they will be always be there. The best way is just to lose weight slow really really slow so you will not get marks like this.Give your skin time to regenerate and take the new shape you are going for.Look at them like marks from a fight, they are your fight medals smile moms to be are getting sometimes marks like that and it is still a mark to remember smile . Like someday you will show it to your kid .
Rub lotion or oils , but also you need to drink more water.Your cells need it to be able to do their job and stay plastic.Drink more water that helps a ton.Also there are special lotions that are for stretch marks but i wouldnt use them. If you can, go to a diet doctor .He will know what will be best for your case.

Fashionable Nymph

8,350 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Mega Tipsy 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
Adele Adkins

Any tips out there?

try cocoa butter or look into ARBON all natural beauty supplies they have a stretch mark cream. yes a bit pricey ($50) but worth it 3nodding
Stretch marks are scars, so no, they won't go away when you lose weight. Cocoa butter and shea butter are said to be very good for remedying stretch marks, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. There isn't anything wrong with them, a lot of people have them. If it bothers you that much, though, maybe try that?

Wicked Cat

57,600 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Waffles! 25
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Cute 200
They wont go away on their own unfortunately : I have been cursed with them and ive been trying to get rid of them. There are some creams that say theyll make them look better but surgery is the only way to really get rid of them.

Distinct Member

Adele Adkins

Any tips out there?

Get some Vitamin E oil. It kinda makes your skin gross but if you put
it on in the evenings and then shower in the mornings, it's no problem.
A friend of mine was pregnant and after using that through her pregnancy
she ended up with only two small strechmarks and then another friend
used it on some scars he had from self mutilation. it did a lot to decrease
the severity of the scars. May not make them go away completely but it
is really good for your skin and will help a lot. Good luck!

Dapper Dabbler

Palmers Cocoa Butter seems to be helping mine.
I mean, they're still there technically, but it lightens them up a lot. The ones on my legs seemed to have disappeared for the most part, though. Most of mine now are white instead of reddish-purple.
My mom keeps suggesting laser removal of them, but I mean, it's not like I'm a bikini model.
Also, I'm a waitress with no insurance so I have no idea how she thinks I'm going to pay for it.

Tipsy Connoisseur

They are permanent. They will fade over time to the color of your surrounding skin. Lotions and cocoa butter will not fade them. Stretch marks happen way beneath the skin's surface bellow where lotions will penetrate. Drink more water, it will help with your skin's elasticity. Some people are just more prone to them then others.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff