Welcome to Gaia! ::

In the glimmering sunlight...

Just before we start I'm actually a guy. So anyway it's one of my new years resolutions to look a bit more desirable, secondly it would help that other people in better shape wouldn't be so intimidating. So I'm going to join a gym Blink Fitness to be specific. I'm 5'8 and weight 69.5 kg or 153 pounds. I plan on just looking a bit toned really, losing some mad on the stomach and gaining a bit of muscle.

Is there anything I should know prior to going in? Gym Etiquette etc?

A hero appears

Dapper Codger

Decide if you want to gain muscle or lose fat. The two are entirely different goals.

Track macros.

Get on a solid muscle-building program. As a beginner, compound lifts will give you the most result. Programs suited for beginners include: Starting Strength, Stronglifts, & All Pros. More can be found online.

Ask questions when you need it or if you need a form check. Injuries and lifting go hand in hand if proper form isn't done.

Wipe down equipment after use, don't sit/text and take up equipment when you're not using it, put equipment and weights back, and be nice.

That's about it~

6,750 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Informer 100
There's nothing particular other than wipe down the machines after every use. However something a lot of gym nuts won't tell you is everything you can do at the gym you can get without the fancy machines and with faster results than targeting specific muscles. Work outs that target muscle groups work better .

Dapper Dabbler

7,450 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Citizen 200
Be polite. (Seriously...don't be THAT person.)

Don't hog the machines/weights. (Don't be THAT person EITHER)

Clean everything you use. (No one likes a sweaty machine)

Don't be afraid to ask for help!

Don't overdo yourself. (Start with what you can handle and go from there. It's not worth impressing the person next to you by tearing a muscle and screwing yourself)

Fuel your body. (Workouts are useless if you pass out.)

Remember to have fun! (Every workout is time spent BETTERING yourself. Enjoy it!)

Hope this helps! biggrin

Conservative Genius

8,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Autobiographer 200
re reack your weights, and dont hog the machines. its okay to stay on one machine for as long as you'd like i guess, but just don't be that guy whose just texting throughout the whole time.

other then that, just start with lighter weights to see were you're at; don't over do it and then risk making yourself look like an idiot. trust me i know how that feels and it's not a very good feeling crying

Noob

you'll probably have some self conscious thoughts arise in your head, just remember that everyone there is thinking of themselves and not looking at what youre doing, theyre not thinking about you or your clothes or how much of whatever you can do, theyre all focused on themselves. so try to notice when you feel intimidated with other guys at the gym, and let that thought go and focus on yourself instead.

second, the gym should have a trainer you can speak with who can help you build a workout plan that meets your needs. if your focus is more on losing weight, they may have you do more cardio.
with that said, cardio (anything that gets the heart pumping) is good for weightloss, strength training is good for toning. you dont want to focus on just one cos if you focus on just cardio, you'd be skinnier and your muscles are going to be flat, basically, youd be a smaller version of yourself, and if you just do the strength training, you wont be able to see the muscle cos there would be a layer of fat over it. so you do want to have at least one cardio day.

third, guys tend to ignore their legs and focus more on their upper body. just imagine toned guys with scrawny legs, it's weird, remember to have a leg day!

fourth, the more reasons you have for going to the gym, the more likely it is that you'll keep returning. vanity is a great reason to go, but try to think of more.

fifth, personally, i dont track anything, not calories or weight (which you shouldnt track your weight since you want to lose fat and gain weight, your weight might stay the same, or go up depending on how much muscle you gain, or down depending on fat), i just eat a lot of healthy food, i focus more on the caloric:nutrient ratio. i mean, you do what you think is best for you, but know that if youre eating unhealthy meals, youre not going to get results.
1. Leave your ego at the door
-Don't lift heavier to impress the girl next to you (Lifting what you can't is more embarrassing)

2. Make sure you get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight so 153lb = 153g protein a day

3. Drink a gallon of water a day

4. Make sure you get all your macros/micros

5. Get enough sleep

6. Try to keep your workouts short and intense
F u j i b e r r y
Decide if you want to gain muscle or lose fat. The two are entirely different goals.

This piece of advice is garbage. You want to gain muscle to begin with, because muscle takes more energy to maintain, which in turn increases your BMR (Basal metabolic rate.) This is what you want for long term fat burning goodness.

F u j i b e r r y
Track macros.

This is an advanced thing, and after 6 months at the gym I'm only getting into it now. Seriously, just track your caloric intake. It's simpler and will give you a feel for the nutrition commitment involved.

Remember, you can't out-exercise your diet. Look at macros after a little practice, but in the mean time, just avoid "simple carbs" high sodium and high fat foods.

F u j i b e r r y
Get on a solid muscle-building program. As a beginner, compound lifts will give you the most result. Programs suited for beginners include: Starting Strength, Stronglifts, & All Pros. More can be found online.

This is directly contradictory to the first point made, and agrees 100% with what I said - build muscle. Lean, strength muscle is a great place to start. I started with the Strong lifts 5x5 and have recently progressed to a cutting regime with an IIFYM diet and a Zyzz workout. This is not a place to start, but something I'm experimenting with as summer comes into the late season in Aus.

F u j i b e r r y
Ask questions when you need it or if you need a form check. Injuries and lifting go hand in hand if proper form isn't done.

This is dead on. Anybody who's got a physique will usually feel an ego boost if you ask them for help, and if they shun you, well there are plenty of others. The PT's on duty at the gym will usually lend a hand as well. I had a PT spend half an hour with me on my squat form and he wrote it off as promo.

Don't be afraid to ask.

F u j i b e r r y
Wipe down equipment after use, don't sit/text and take up equipment when you're not using it, put equipment and weights back, and be nice.

That's about it~

You will be a hero if you do this. Everybody sits and texts/stretches on or otherwise takes up equipment they aren't using, especially if you're on your rest period between sets. As long as you don't overstay your rest period for a text reply or something.

Dapper Codger

Revana_Blay
F u j i b e r r y

This piece of advice is garbage. You want to gain muscle to begin with, because muscle takes more energy to maintain, which in turn increases your BMR (Basal metabolic rate.) This is what you want for long term fat burning goodness.

F u j i b e r r y
Track macros.

This is an advanced thing, and after 6 months at the gym I'm only getting into it now. Seriously, just track your caloric intake. It's simpler and will give you a feel for the nutrition commitment involved.

Remember, you can't out-exercise your diet. Look at macros after a little practice, but in the mean time, just avoid "simple carbs" high sodium and high fat foods.

F u j i b e r r y

This is directly contradictory to the first point made, and agrees 100% with what I said - build muscle. Lean, strength muscle is a great place to start. I started with the Strong lifts 5x5 and have recently progressed to a cutting regime with an IIFYM diet and a Zyzz workout. This is not a place to start, but something I'm experimenting with as summer comes into the late season in Aus.

F u j i b e r r y

This is dead on. Anybody who's got a physique will usually feel an ego boost if you ask them for help, and if they shun you, well there are plenty of others. The PT's on duty at the gym will usually lend a hand as well. I had a PT spend half an hour with me on my squat form and he wrote it off as promo.

Don't be afraid to ask.

F u j i b e r r y

That's about it~

You will be a hero if you do this. Everybody sits and texts/stretches on or otherwise takes up equipment they aren't using, especially if you're on your rest period between sets. As long as you don't overstay your rest period for a text reply or something.

1) Losing weight while trying to maintaining muscle mass = caloric deficit
Gaining muscle (with a bit of fat gain) = caloric surplus. Muscle isn't made with air. It needs calories and proper rest.
Trying to do both at the same time while eating at maintenance = extremely slow results that probably won't encourage a new gymgoer.

2) No. Macros are important. I don't expect someone who eats
2,200 calories worth of twinkies to perform the same way as someone who's tracking their macros and eating the same amount. It's not just about the caloric intake, but the way the body performs to be able to do the work.
Also, caloric intake doesn't take into account the amount of protein needed for adequate recovery and muscle building.

3) Not at all contradictory. Again, muscle isn't built with air.

4) People are usually more than happy to help, regardless of ego. Someone trying to quarter-squat 400 lbs. without regards to proper form or safety is just an eye sore.

5) You obviously knew what I was referring to. Unless OP is a powerlifter, they won't need 6-10+ minutes of rest.
F u j i b e r r y
Revana_Blay
F u j i b e r r y

F u j i b e r r y
Track macros.

F u j i b e r r y

F u j i b e r r y

Don't be afraid to ask.

F u j i b e r r y

That's about it~

Gaining muscle (with a bit of fat gain) = caloric surplus. Muscle isn't made with air. It needs calories and proper rest.
Trying to do both at the same time while eating at maintenance = extremely slow results that probably won't encourage a new gymgoer.

2) No. Macros are important. I don't expect someone who eats
2,200 calories worth of twinkies to perform the same way as someone who's tracking their macros and eating the same amount. It's not just about the caloric intake, but the way the body performs to be able to do the work.
Also, caloric intake doesn't take into account the amount of protein needed for adequate recovery and muscle building.

3) Not at all contradictory. Again, muscle isn't built with air.

4) People are usually more than happy to help, regardless of ego. Someone trying to quarter-squat 400 lbs. without regards to proper form or safety is just an eye sore.

5) You obviously knew what I was referring to. Unless OP is a powerlifter, they won't need 6-10+ minutes of rest.

OP, feel free to disregard from here on out. This is going to get fun and possibly technical. Don't feel obligated to go from zero to 100 straight away is my underlying message. Work your way up and commit to a little at a time.

Immediately, the part that stands out is the Macro dieting. Yes, I completely agree the macro diet is the way to go. The reason i'm saying it's not super important immediately is because it's intimidating, it's a lot of work and it eats into your time early on. I did really well in my first six months just hitting rough benchmarks (overall defecit of calories, avoid simple carbs and if you're hungry, eat.) OP, if you read this, research the macro diet for sure. You'll want to get on it at some point.

Next blaringly obvious point is "muscle isn't made with air." Nope. Too true. I said "You want to gain muscle." Disregarding the point about fat. The muscular/strength growth will be a prime motivator in this. I also said muscle takes more calories to maintain than fat. A.k.a - build the muscle and it will then help you lose the fat. High reps, low weights is a BS way to work out and only makes sense when you're already insanely muscular trying to make weight for a competition. Strength first.

I agree almost completely with point 4. I've just met a few people who've steroided out and don't want to help. I even made a few mates asking for a spot on the bench.

And as for the final point, I was just contrasting what you were saying with what is increasingly becoming the norm these days.

Newbie Noob

F u j i b e r r y

I agree more with you than with Revana_Blay, but I think is technically wrong for a newbie.

It's absolutely true that you need a bulk / cut cycle to gain some muscle mass if your body fat is 10 ~ 15%, but a newbie has their newbie gains. Eating at maintenance, at least at the start, is probably a better goal than starting a bulk / cut cycle.

Quote:
Starting Strength, Stronglifts,
These aren't muscle building programs, they're strength building programs. Their goals are slightly different.

Dapper Codger

Slutty_Eddie
F u j i b e r r y

I agree more with you than with Revana_Blay, but I think is technically wrong for a newbie.

It's absolutely true that you need a bulk / cut cycle to gain some muscle mass if your body fat is 10 ~ 15%, but a newbie has their newbie gains. Eating at maintenance, at least at the start, is probably a better goal than starting a bulk / cut cycle.

Quote:
Starting Strength, Stronglifts,
These aren't muscle building programs, they're strength building programs. Their goals are slightly different.
OP is 5'8 and 153. I would consider that mostly skinny fat, and I don't think that eating at maintenance is really going to help. Yes, newbie gains are a thing, but for a newbie who's unused to how slow muscle progress can be, even slower progress by eating at maintenance might not cut it. It always depends on the individual, but I feel like more people will be better motivated by slighty faster progress through either a caloric deficit or surplus. All individual preferences, I suppose.
I was skinny fat myself and ate at maintenance. I sort of got somewhere, but it wasn't until I sucked it up and bulked that I actually made any noticeable progress.

No, they're not the typical 'BB bro-splits', BUT those programs focus on the compound lifts which OP should try to master before doing any isolation work. Isolation work is more like the frosting to a cake. They're good for touch-ups and building up specific parts of the body, but not for building overall muscle mass which compound lifts will take care of.
Those programs can be very easily modified to the 6-12 rep range as well for hypertrophy. : )

Dapper Codger

Revana_Blay

Macro counting is definitely not a lot of work. Apps like MyFitnessPal have made it easier than ever to track macros. While I don't expect OP to start using a scale for every meal, I'm sure OP is able to use measuring cups in the meantime. Macro counting also promotes a better relationship with food imo. A lot of the time, when I see people obsessing over calories, they also want to eat clean all the time and they feel guilty eating 'junk' food. As part of the fitness community, a both the mind and body should be in good condition. Eating isn't hard. There's no need to always prep food unless there's no other option. I'm trying to keep in kind the fact that OP will be much more likely to be motivated if they see results, which is more likely to happen when tracking appropriately and being consistent on a day to day basis.

??? When did I recommend higher reps? I recommended StrongLifts and Starting Strength.
Not sure what you meant by the first part of this section. I never said not to try to build/keep muscle, so I'm unsure as to what the 'muscle burns more than fat' is referring to. I only stated that muscle building and fat loss are two different goals. Yes, more muscle will make one's metabolism faster, but to gain muscle, a caloric surplus is needed which will also make OP gain a teeny bit of fat. Strict fat loss along with muscle maintenance to reveal hard-earned muscles requires a deficit. I'm simply saying that OP can't be at a caloric deficit and a surplus at the same time.

I suppose everything is just a matter of preferences to the OP. I personally wanted to do track macros (mainly protein and overall caloric intake) while lifting because I believe that both must work together to create progress. I wanted the highest possibly of improving because it wasn't something that I wanted to half-a** and get mad at myself for later for wasting time. I'm still personally a little annoyed at the amount of time I wasted 'eating at maintenance' instead of bulking and using iifym. I remember feeling down because I wasn't improving, but I didn't want to bulk or track macros because I felt like I wasn't ready. I never really got very far and frequently lost motivation until I started improving the chances of progress for myself by lifting, tracking, and attempting to get adequate sleep.

If OP doesn't feel like he needs to track, he's more than welcome to do so.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff