Welcome to Gaia! ::

Howdy Folks,

So, I've come across an issue the last few times I've went out for a run: I got a massive side stitch/cramp that forced me to stop far from my usual finish point. I had been well hydrated before hand and ate more than an hour and a half prior to the run.

This morning, I ran not .10 miles before the cramp became so severe I ended up turning back. I've been doing some core intensive workouts as of late, so maybe it has something to do with that?

I'm no running novice either, been at it consistently for about a year and a half now and I encounter these kinds of issues occasionally, but never right off the bat.

Any help on the topic would be great

Beloved Friend

5,950 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Newbie Helper 100
  • Generous 100
SprucentheBrucen
Howdy Folks,

So, I've come across an issue the last few times I've went out for a run: I got a massive side stitch/cramp that forced me to stop far from my usual finish point. I had been well hydrated before hand and ate more than an hour and a half prior to the run.

This morning, I ran not .10 miles before the cramp became so severe I ended up turning back. I've been doing some core intensive workouts as of late, so maybe it has something to do with that?

I'm no running novice either, been at it consistently for about a year and a half now and I encounter these kinds of issues occasionally, but never right off the bat.

Any help on the topic would be great

I used to get those a lot.
Usually a good pre-warmup helps a lot. That and not eating too much before working out. Always drink water before ... but don't go running right after because that usually ends in getting side stitches easily. Also, make sure you are breathing in even patterns and not all over the place!
When you do get side stitches while running ... slow down and exhale as the foot on the opposite side of your stitch hits the ground --- sometimes that helps for me.

Usually it just has to do with what you do before you go running, really.

Familiar Explorer

I use to get them occasionally during high school track, but never in football or college track. The only thing I could think of as to why that was, was that in football and college track we would have vigorous warm-ups which would bring my heart rate up to around 170 bpm I believe. Stuff like repeated sprints or various core exercises in quick succession.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff