Welcome to Gaia! ::

I need some opinions,
I'm sure you are all aware of the HPV vaccination (directed at women, if you do not know what it is look it up) and I am 17 and have not yet taken it.
My mother is one of those people who do not like the idea of vaccinations and seeing as the HPV is a fairly new one she tells me not to bother
I'm a mini hypochondriac so obviously things like this would affect me, I was wondering whether you think it is a reliable and worth the risk of a jab

I need some honest responses please, thanks

Wheezing Plague

I've taken the vaccine. Aside from feeling mildly tired and slightly nauseous for a day or two after it, I've noticed nothing. Same goes for everyone else I know who has taken it (which is a large amount of females..).

If you're really worried, take the vaccine and the jab from your mother. When it comes down to it, it's your body and if you feel more secure with the vaccine, go for it. If your mother doesn't like the idea of vaccines, she can go ahead and google pox and other nasty things that've been prevented with the aid of vaccines. Herd protection only goes so far.
Skyllaeh
I've taken the vaccine. Aside from feeling mildly tired and slightly nauseous for a day or two after it, I've noticed nothing. Same goes for everyone else I know who has taken it (which is a large amount of females..).

If you're really worried, take the vaccine and the jab from your mother. When it comes down to it, it's your body and if you feel more secure with the vaccine, go for it. If your mother doesn't like the idea of vaccines, she can go ahead and google pox and other nasty things that've been prevented with the aid of vaccines. Herd protection only goes so far.

As you may know all vaccines come with risks and whatnot, I'm more concerned with it's worthiness, at the same time I'm guessing to weigh it out risks are better than the possibility of a deadly cancer?

Dapper Codger

It's worth it. HPV doesn't show symptoms in men, so they probably don't know if they have it and could very easily transfer it to you. Also, vaccines are awesome. I got it when I was 16, waaay before I was ever sexually active. You never know.

Dapper Codger

I find it kind of silly when people say that they don't like vaccines. What's her reasoning? I'm curious.

Wheezing Plague

a bitter poptart

As you may know all vaccines come with risks and whatnot, I'm more concerned with it's worthiness, at the same time I'm guessing to weigh it out risks are better than the possibility of a deadly cancer?

Of course they do. All vaccines comes with risk of anything ranging from some short-term flu like symptoms to getting really weird and sometimes terrible perm. diseases. The swine-flu vaccine which gave some users cataplexy as a result created a big uproar in my country. However, the vaccine was fastly pushed forward (thus not securely tested.. which is darn stupid), plus the population that ended up with cataplexy was a small amount. That being said, the lives of those people will be changed forever since they'll end up unable to do things due to the cataplexy.

I'd say it weighs out the risks of getting cancer. Anything that prevents cancer is great. I seem to be surrounded by people who get different types of cancer, and the outcomes of that sucks. A friend of mine had to have her whole female inner-plumbing removed cause of cancer. She has to take supplements and additional meds for the rest of her life now, and that's not funny either.

I do understand that the fear of side-effects and risks associated with vaccines is great. No one wants to risk getting something crappy, just cause they were trying to prevent something else. It's really sad when it does happen.

That being said, I really don't think the vaccine you're looking for is a high-risk one since it has had such a long developing and distribution time already. If it had a wide-spread chance of inflicting great potential harm, it would be taken off the market.
F u j i b e r r y
I find it kind of silly when people say that they don't like vaccines. What's her reasoning? I'm curious.

I do too to be totally honest haha, my mum's a bit of a hippie when it comes to these kind of things and claims that since our family usually doesn't take vaccines (my cousin who is now 23 doesn't have the HPV either, and my mum didn't take her HPV nor TB) and we don't have a cancer gene in our family (except for the unfortunate attack on my grandmother who passed) she thinks it's more likely of getting the disease by taking the vaccination. She doesn't like how it is a fairly new vaccine so she isn't sure of its reliability, even though it has great beneficial results
Skyllaeh
a bitter poptart

Of course they do. All vaccines comes with risk of anything ranging from some short-term flu like symptoms to getting really weird and sometimes terrible perm. diseases. The swine-flu vaccine which gave some users cataplexy as a result created a big uproar in my country. However, the vaccine was fastly pushed forward (thus not securely tested.. which is darn stupid), plus the population that ended up with cataplexy was a small amount. That being said, the lives of those people will be changed forever since they'll end up unable to do things due to the cataplexy.

I'd say it weighs out the risks of getting cancer. Anything that prevents cancer is great. I seem to be surrounded by people who get different types of cancer, and the outcomes of that sucks. A friend of mine had to have her whole female inner-plumbing removed cause of cancer. She has to take supplements and additional meds for the rest of her life now, and that's not funny either.

I do understand that the fear of side-effects and risks associated with vaccines is great. No one wants to risk getting something crappy, just cause they were trying to prevent something else. It's really sad when it does happen.

That being said, I really don't think the vaccine you're looking for is a high-risk one since it has had such a long developing and distribution time already. If it had a wide-spread chance of inflicting great potential harm, it would be taken off the market.

Completely agree with you. The saying "prevention is better than cure" plays its part here I suppose, I haven't had the annual influenza vaccine for years now but that's obviously way different to something like cancer. I suppose since we DO have a vaccine against something that is generally almost impossible to cure we should take advantage of it, no? I'll contact my doctor and ask him what he thinks.
I didn't get it done.

It was the first time that this specific erm combination of HPV strains was being vaccinated against (I think there are 19 strains in total?) and it was the first time it was available to the public post-tests so I basically wanted to wait and see how things turned out for other people I guess. I was only 14 at the time and far from sexually active. I will get the vaccine done. I'd rather pay for it now tbh.

I'm not against vaccines at all. I'm so pro vaccine. But I have a thing about being the first one to try something.

I do plan on getting the vaccine but I just didn't want to then.
I got mine as a 3 stage vaccination, coming in every 6 months to get another shot. I believe I got it in my mid teens sometime, so it was probably about 6 years ago. No side effects, I have never had side effects from any vaccinations.

I am 110% pro vaccination. Vaccinations are what have eliminated or severely decreased the amount of devastating diseases and sicknesses. Smallpox, typhoid, tetanus, tuberculosis, influenza, polio, measles and countless others. Do you know how many small babies still die of these diseases because they are too young to get the vaccines and catch it from older children whose parents refuse to vaccinate their children? Too many. It should be mandated to have to get these vaccines.

Cancer vaccines on the other hand are another story, yes they are a counter strike to prevent cancer, but they are not 100% effective, neither is any type of vaccine, but cancer is different because it's not something you catch from the environment or other people. Cancer is caused by dozens of things. Bad habits, smoking and drinking. Pollution or smog. STRESS is a big thing that people don't know can cause cancer. Plastic, especially water bottles that leach the plastic chemicals into the water that is being consumed. Food, especially American food, with all of the hormones and chemicals that are added to it. America is rated number 6 for highest cancer rates. I don't know if you are American, I didn't check, but you need to know that cancer is caused by so many things, a vaccine is definitely helpful if it can help to eliminate one of the sources in which you can get it. Cancer is not some mystery disease that people magically catch, it is caused by water, food, environment, things that the government try to claim is not true, but there is scientific evidence of this stuff.

Then there are people who claim cancer can be genetic. Cancer was not genetic, it was caused by all the bad things in the environment that people were accumulating over time in their bodies, to the point that over generations it mutated their DNA, which was then passed on to their children. It is not some weird genetic anomaly, it's caused by things that the government does not want to admit to that is poisoning our population.

I know there can be side effects of vaccines, some severe to certain people, but what is best? Protecting the majority of the planet through vaccination and risking a few, or risking billions of people through refusing vaccination? I choose vaccination all the way.

I hope this makes sense. That will be the conclusion of my 2 cents.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff