Welcome to Gaia! ::

Original Gaian

7,650 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
burning_eyes So Google searches have left me wanting in regards to effective advice on quitting smoking, So I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

Also, is it weird that I can eat good food and it pushes the cravings out of my mind for a while? cheese_whine

Please don't suggest too many products, I am a poor humble college student who rolls his own cigs.

Also discuss, why do people start smoking?

Conservative Citizen

Food can take cravings away a bit. Some people tend to put on weight after they quit smoking because they eat to supplement the cravings. It helps to identify why you're smoking. Social, because you need to have something in your hand, because of the taste, stress. Once you identify what actually makes you smoke, you can do better to find something to replace it.

Original Gaian

7,650 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
Spifficated
Food can take cravings away a bit. Some people tend to put on weight after they quit smoking because they eat to supplement the cravings. It helps to identify why you're smoking. Social, because you need to have something in your hand, because of the taste, stress. Once you identify what actually makes you smoke, you can do better to find something to replace it.

All of the above, thats why its so hard, when I beat the craving, ill go to drill (USAR) and then my buddies start lighting up and i cave, When I say no to a buddy, I'll start chewing things or eating junk food. Its bad.

Conservative Citizen

longlived
Spifficated

All of the above, thats why its so hard, when I beat the craving, ill go to drill (USAR) and then my buddies start lighting up and i cave, When I say no to a buddy, I'll start chewing things or eating junk food. Its bad.

Okay, what about gum, candy, popsicles, straws? The crappy thing is as a smoker there always seems to be someone around who is offering you a cigarette. It really has to be a choice. When your friends offer you one, say no thanks and remove yourself from that circle. Reward yourself with something for having not taken the cigarette later.
My one friend bought a whole bunch of gobstoppers and when he had an urge to smoke he would chew on some gobstoppers and he said it helped a lot!

Liberal Gawker

Ive never smoked called ambulances for my dad too many times for that s**t.

Original Gaian

7,650 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
3 times 3

good call, an i love your sig.

Liberal Gawker

longlived
3 times 3

good call, an i love your sig.
thanks
I never smoked in my life.
But I had a patient that almost lost one of his legs due to his smoking habits. Four packs a day and won't stop. This wasn't his first time taken into the cath lab for an interventional study on his legs either. I think he will only stop if he actually does lose one of his legs, which is very frightening and highlights how an addiction can affect someone.

His mother yells at him for not quitting, but she, herself, smokes at least two packs a day.

Original Gaian

7,650 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
xiatara
But I had a patient that almost lost one of his legs due to his smoking habits. Four packs a day and won't stop. This wasn't his first time taken into the cath lab for an interventional study on his legs either. I think he will only stop if he actually does lose one of his legs, which is very frightening and highlights how an addiction can affect someone.

His mother yells at him for not quitting, but she, herself, smokes at least two packs a day.

It really is addictive. and i love that under double d's hat isa headband lol.
longlived
xiatara

Very. I think he is doing better now. He is up to 2 packs a day now, but that's still a lot.

And thanks, lol.

Original Gaian

7,650 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
xiatara
longlived
xiatara

Very. I think he is doing better now. He is up to 2 packs a day now, but that's still a lot.

And thanks, lol.

I've done the two packs a day it is horrible. I am down to half a pack to a pack a day.

Beloved Perfectionist

Please,I beg you,please never give up. My mom was a 2 pack a day smoker for 36 years and she's only 52.She was on Chantex and Welbutrin,but then she just quit cold turkey after being in the hospital for 5 days in March. Ever though she quit almost 8 months ago,she has severe COPD and has to be on 3-4 liters of Oxygen all the time. She can't even stand up without getting out of breath. She can't do pretty much anything anymore.I have to everything for her since I'm her caregiver.She's on medication,but they aren't helping much.She does breathing treatments 4 times a day and steriods for her lungs that aren't as effective as they used to be.She can't afford most of them, even though she's on disabilty. She was rejected for Medicare because she makes $20US too much. $20 lousy dollars!! I have to push her in wheelchair now when we go places. She's been to the hosptial 4 times this year and 7 times in the last 3 years. The ambukance has come to get her twice already.Although she sees her doctor every week or two,but they just can fix her.One of her doctors gave her 6 months to live. So please,don't give up your fight. You CAN beat this before it's too late.

Hilarious Regular

The thing that helped me quit smoking was chewing gum. Although I ate like half the pack when craving 1 stupid cigarette! So I went through ALLOT of gum. But for the most part it didn't really bother me any so I don't know what to say. Also, that nicotine gum is gross as F*! Don't try it. ://
The best way is really to just drop it, suffer through the abstinence period and then be done with it. All those step programs and nicotine gum is bullshit in my opinion. All you really need is a strong will.

In my family, both my grandfather and myself quit smoking that way. It was a little easier for me, because I wasn't a heavy smoker, but my grandpa had to pretty much hide away for a whole week, because he was very irritable during the quitting period.

It also helps to have some extra motivation. Like heavy training or something. That way whenever you feel you want a cig, you can remind yourself that it'll destroy your lung capacity.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff