Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Friend

Hey everyone.

This is kind of embarrassing...but I have rather fine hair and I am looking for tips on how to get more volume. My hair isn't falling out or anything luckily, but it is a very fine texture and sometimes limp...

I have been to the doctor's and have ruled out any medical reasons such as vitamin deficiencies or thyroid issues, etc. I eat right and I take a multivitamin biotin and I don't use heat tools on my hair anymore. I wash my hair with shampoo that is supposed to be for fine hair. Sometimes I do a hair mask made of coconut or argan oil. My weight it normal and I exercise 3 times a week and drink lots of water.

Any suggestions for healthy hair or products (high end or low end) fellow fine haired ladies out there? Should I go visit a salon? I have thought about extensions, but they are so expensive and they might hurt my hair in the long run...

Thank you crying
Are you looking for a more permanent solution? I only know of products for temporary lift, for like when you go out.
Big Sexy Hair for example, is AHmazing for my hair, which is pretty thin.

Wheezing Fatcat

I have the same sort of hair. I cut mine into a pixie cut with lots of layers, and that makes it look way thicker, so you can always go that route.

My favorite products to use are Short Sexy Hair's "Blow It Up" gel foam and got2b's "Powderful" hair powder. I use the gel foam before drying it with a round brush (it does make my hair tangle a little more easily, so watch out for that) and fluff it up around the roots with the powder once it's dry. Both of those are nice because they volumize without making it look weighed down and greasy like a lot of volumizing products do. I also have a little tub of Redken "Rewind06" as a piecing gel, but I don't use it often.

I don't really use styling products often, though. Most days I just kind of fluff it up with the dryer and I'm done.

For cleaning, I just use VO5 because it's cheap (shampoo daily unless I'm planning on not leaving the house, and conditioner about twice a week). I really like Biolage's ScalpTherapie shampoo, but it's really expensive. I usually keep a bottle of Biolage around and just use it once a week or so.

Fashionable Friend

Olivcoxo
Are you looking for a more permanent solution? I only know of products for temporary lift, for like when you go out.
Big Sexy Hair for example, is AHmazing for my hair, which is pretty thin.

I mean, I would love a permanent solution but there might not be one! Even just styling might help me feel more confident. How do you use "Big Sexy Hair"? Just spray it on and blow dry it? I have seen that product before and i'll check it out! Thanks so much for the reply.

Fashionable Friend

piparminttukaramelli
I have the same sort of hair. I cut mine into a pixie cut with lots of layers, and that makes it look way thicker, so you can always go that route.

My favorite products to use are Short Sexy Hair's "Blow It Up" gel foam and got2b's "Powderful" hair powder. I use the gel foam before drying it with a round brush (it does make my hair tangle a little more easily, so watch out for that) and fluff it up around the roots with the powder once it's dry. Both of those are nice because they volumize without making it look weighed down and greasy like a lot of volumizing products do. I also have a little tub of Redken "Rewind06" as a piecing gel, but I don't use it often.

I don't really use styling products often, though. Most days I just kind of fluff it up with the dryer and I'm done.

For cleaning, I just use VO5 because it's cheap (shampoo daily unless I'm planning on not leaving the house, and conditioner about twice a week). I really like Biolage's ScalpTherapie shampoo, but it's really expensive. I usually keep a bottle of Biolage around and just use it once a week or so.

Yeah I have thought about cutting my hair but I really love long hair. TwT
Thank you for explaining your process as well! Even though it may seem really obvious, I haven't really used many styling products and I just kind of spray it on and make a mess! Thanks for your reply! Ill check out these products :3
voluminous hair really changes from person to person.

I dont believe theres anything "biological" you can do about it, but you definitely can use some products that are available out there, like creams, moisturizers or even extesions that are specific for that. However, eating well and taking precautions could improve your hair and make it look shinnier and healthier.

One great tip also; always when you dry your hair, try not to "pull" the roots too much, so they might expand more and occupate more space and eventually make it look more voluminous.

Hope that helps smile xx

Dapper Smoker

7,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
For healthier hair I take biotin vitamins. Also try using Mane and Tail for your shampoo. For thicker and fuller hair I only use shampoo once a week and use conditioner every day. Yes, your hair gets greasy when you first stop using shampoo but eventually your hair adjusts. Shampoo takes away the natural oils that coat and protect your hair so it is actually good to not shampoo your hair every day. If the grease is too overwhelming I suggest using baby powder to soak some of it up. Hope this helps heart

Fashionable Friend

FloweringGypsySoul
For healthier hair I take biotin vitamins. Also try using Mane and Tail for your shampoo. For thicker and fuller hair I only use shampoo once a week and use conditioner every day. Yes, your hair gets greasy when you first stop using shampoo but eventually your hair adjusts. Shampoo takes away the natural oils that coat and protect your hair so it is actually good to not shampoo your hair every day. If the grease is too overwhelming I suggest using baby powder to soak some of it up. Hope this helps heart

Hi! Thanks for the reply. smile I have heard of the "no poo" sort of thing. What kind of conditioner do you use? I would think that conditioner would cause build up in your hair if you don't wash it out w/ shampoo. I wash my hair every other day. How long would you say it takes for your hair to adjust? I hear it can take a few months, but I guess it depends on the hair. I've got nothing to lose so I'll give it a try. smile

Dapper Smoker

7,150 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Chikycookie
FloweringGypsySoul

Hi! Thanks for the reply. smile I have heard of the "no poo" sort of thing. What kind of conditioner do you use? I would thinkhttp://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/ that conditioner would cause build up in your hair if you don't wash it out w/ shampoo. I wash my hair every other day. How long would you say it takes for your hair to adjust? I hear it can take a few months, but I guess it depends on the hair. I've got nothing to lose so I'll give it a try. smile

I have been trying the different kinds of Organix brands of conditioner. I really like the Keratin one, My hair took 3 weeks to adjust.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff