Welcome to Gaia! ::

Weight training is definitely not my thing. I'm kind of REALLY weak and while my arms aren't straws they certainly aren't hulking. I get super intimidated weight training when there are dudes in better shape working out around me. I feel totally judged. I mean I know we all have to start somewhere but still, this fear completely makes me not want to go to the gym.

Any advice to overcome gymtimidation?
Nobody is there to rag on you and judge you. They are there for the same reason you are. When I do see new people working out, i don't judge them on the weight they lift. I think it's sweet as ******** that they want to better themselves.( I usually think about this for a good 2 seconds and resume my workout.) Just focus on your workout, and everyone will just focus on theirs.

HazeInut Latte's Husband

Beloved Sex Symbol

Trying new things when there are people around you that are better than you is always intimidating. Weight lifting is no different, to be honest no one gives a ******** about you. Everyone including myself is focused on getting themselves big and their work out. Whenever I take notice of someone doing less than me the most that ever comes to my mind is "I remember when I was there."
"Gymtimidation" is a word made up by Planet Fitness to get insecure people to throw their money at them instead of an effective place. Where they will then feed you free pizza, tootsie rolls and cupcakes to keep you fat so that no progress will ever be made... Making you come back, just to make no progress...

Nobody at the gym actually gives a s**t what you look like or how much you can lift. Everybody who has been in the gym and gotten bigger or thinner or more fit than before all had to start somewhere. If they are there, they know what you're going through. They were there at one point too. If they do act like douchebags, then chances are they are new too and/or are equally as insecure.

Mega Cutie-Pie

they're all lying
everyone is definitely judging you

Tipsy Raider

It's doubtful that anyone is paying much attention to you when you're lifting weights. People go to the gym to focus on themselves, not others.
To be honest, they don't care about you.

And those who do look/stare at you probably see you having bad form and debating on whether to help. Some do help you, which is nice. Others will feel like they will offend you or annoy you (this is me). However, they will definitely help you/say something if you are about to hurt yourself.

Tipsy Bloodsucker

Like, the others said, most people aren't there to be paying attention to others.
But, maybe you should try going with a friend or going during an off-hour when there aren't a lot of people there.
In general, I would get over comparing yourself to others. When you stop caring about what other people think, you'll be truly happy.
We are all at the gym for our own reasons. True some might judge you, but who cares you are making a change and improvement.

You can also look at it like this, if you do not get over this you will never get to grow muscle.

Ruthless Businesswoman

8,400 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
I agree with the first reply in this thread. smile

Devoted Defender

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Hygienic 200
A good thing to remember is that people are thinking of themselves... It might feel like they're judging you, but in reality, they're dealing with their own load of insecurities... And they'd be totally wrong to judge you for working out... Honestly...
So good luck with that smile Don't worry about what anyone else thinks smile You can do it! And like you said... Everyone's got to start somewhere!

Divine Zealot

SXDrive

Weight training is definitely not my thing. I'm kind of REALLY weak and while my arms aren't straws they certainly aren't hulking. I get super intimidated weight training when there are dudes in better shape working out around me. I feel totally judged. I mean I know we all have to start somewhere but still, this fear completely makes me not want to go to the gym.

Any advice to overcome gymtimidation?

It's not like everyone there has been lifting since they were old enough to stand. Some of those guys in the gym might very well have started where you are. Besides, most of those guys in the gym are way too interested in their own workouts to pay much attention to you. And on top of that, you generally don't run into too many jerks in the gym. Some of them may very well be happy you're there, and willing to help you if you look like you could use it.

Ladykiller

8,450 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Megathread 100
  • Clambake 200
The only people judging you are the other skinny asses like yourself who go to the gym and spend more of their time looking at other people.

It takes effort, focus, and dedication to get big. Trust me, the big people in the gym don't waste their time judging you. When I lift, it's just me and the weight. I don't socialize, and I don't give a crap about what other people are doing around me if they're not in my way.

Fashionable Bookworm

19,250 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Object of Affection 150
I kind of understand how you feel, just from a slightly different perspective. Most of the time, I'm the only female in the weight room, and so sometimes I feel like I stand out a bit. The thing is, that's not actually true. After a few minutes, it becomes totally apparent that everyone who's lifting weights is in their own little world, even when it seems like they're staring at you. When you're trying to get strong, you're counting reps, keeping track of how much weight you've lifted as compared to last week or the week before, you're focusing on your form and your breathing. You hardly notice anyone who's coming in unless they're hovering near you. Sooner or later, you'll find yourself doing that thing where you stare off into the middle distance trying to figure out what muscle groups you still have to work today - and then you'll realize that's what people were doing when they seemed to be looking at you and judging you.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff