Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Browser

5,550 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Profitable 100
I'll be hitting the gym for the first time this weekend and I'm nervous as hell. So nervous that I changed my mind last minute 3 times before. I guess I feel like everyone will be watching me and notice how clueless I am.

Something needs to be done though, I've never in my life weighed over 116 until now (I'm only 4' 11'' and 21yrs old) and its just killing my self esteem. Checked the scale yesterday: 151lbs. and it keeps going up. This weight gain has been happening over the span of just a few months (despite no changes in my eating habits, I work in the medical field and I'm on my feet running around everyday so I feel like I'm pretty active), I plan to check with my doctor about it.

Anyway, before I go on and on, I need some tips and just a general idea of what it's like being at the gym. Are there people that will help with the equipment? Should I go straight for the treadmill? What should I even wear? (Yes a silly question but I'm so intimidated by such a simple place) How should I pace myself?

What are some of your routines and experiences?

Tipsy Millionaire

10,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
iRave_Karma
I'll be hitting the gym for the first time this weekend and I'm nervous as hell. So nervous that I changed my mind last minute 3 times before. I guess I feel like everyone will be watching me and notice how clueless I am.

Something needs to be done though, I've never in my life weighed over 116 until now (I'm only 4' 11'' and 21yrs old) and its just killing my self esteem. Checked the scale yesterday: 151lbs. and it keeps going up. This weight gain has been happening over the span of just a few months (despite no changes in my eating habits, I work in the medical field and I'm on my feet running around everyday so I feel like I'm pretty active), I plan to check with my doctor about it.

Anyway, before I go on and on, I need some tips and just a general idea of what it's like being at the gym. Are there people that will help with the equipment? Should I go straight for the treadmill? What should I even wear? (Yes a silly question but I'm so intimidated by such a simple place) How should I pace myself?

What are some of your routines and experiences?

First of all: Nobody looks at anyone in the gym unless they are lifting an exorbitant amount of weight and are just there to admire LOL
So don't worry, nobody gives a s**t about others in the gym. People from every fitness level go there to improve themselves and to focus on THEMSELVES... not on others, don't worry about it. SIlly, irrational fear most girls have for some reason. Nobody is going to judge you.

Well, fat loss... cardio... yeah. I'm not an expert on fat loss because almost anything you do physically will make you lose fat LOL people will claim that there are an infinite amount of "better" ways to lose fat. In the end, hard work is all that will make a difference, not endlessly researching. My biggest tip: go there, be productive, go home. Don't half-a** it, don't take long breaks, focus on your goal. That's it. Bust your a** in there, ignore the slight pain and it will make a difference.

Also, depending on the size of your gym... people won't help with equipment. Just google videos of your workout in advance. Someone might be nice enough to help spot you, but really nothing more if they aren't a trainer.

Tipsy Browser

5,550 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Profitable 100
AIoof
SIlly, irrational fear most girls have for some reason.

This is exactly what it is! Lol how do I turn it off?! Jk.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take it easy the first day by doing things im comfortable with but still bust my a**. Most likely will be going weekends because of my work schedule. The gym near me is 24 hours though so I can always just go when I have the time (my boss used to actually go on her lunch break!).

Would you recommend maybe a 15 minute break between each hour of working out? Sounds reasonable.

Tipsy Millionaire

10,450 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
iRave_Karma
AIoof
SIlly, irrational fear most girls have for some reason.

This is exactly what it is! Lol how do I turn it off?! Jk.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take it easy the first day by doing things im comfortable with but still bust my a**. Most likely will be going weekends because of my work schedule. The gym near me is 24 hours though so I can always just go when I have the time (my boss used to actually go on her lunch break!).

Would you recommend maybe a 15 minute break between each hour of working out? Sounds reasonable.

Taking it easy the first couple weeks is a good idea just to build a foundation, but ideally after 2-4weeks (depending on how hard you work and how quickly you recover) you should start to really push yourself.

Uuuuhh there's this rule of thumb about working out where if you're training for more than 1 hour... You're either a pro athelete or really not doing anything at all. Limit your workout to 1 hour per day, take breaks as needed, maybe 2-5 mins per workout depending on how tired you are. When you first start going to the gym, trying to workout longer than 1 hour might also cause an injury because your body might not be used to working at that level of fatigue yet. So just work hard for an hour and maybe after... 15mins of running hard on the treadmill (for example) take a 1min break, run for 15 again, 2 min break, 15mins 3mins break etc etc

Also dont be afraid to change it up, the best way to workout is to stick to one plan for 1-2 months and then change to a different routine so your body doesn't get accustomed to the activity you're doing and has to work harder to adapt!
honestly people in the gym are supportive and like said go for self betterment. you with a likewise goal fit in no matter looks. my advice is just don't over do it. Alotta people want to fit in and do more than they can. work your way up. have a plan. just research routines that meet your goal. before even going to the gym have every workout planned. Times reps and sets determined. you have to do alot of research and just make a routine for yourself. borrowing routines isn't bad either.. Idk lol but goodluck

Invisible Seeker

8,400 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Your main goal going into this, I think, is focusing on not getting burnt out. Success will be derived from setting small goals and gaining motivation by meeting them.

By no means should you get there and turn your treadmill to the pace of someone who looks like they're a regular. You'll kill yourself trying to appear "normal" and it's really difficult to overcome that mental barrier of not wanting to go through that pain again.
start out easy and gradually over the weeks go a little harder at it. when going to the gym you should remember to stretch before and after a work out so not to pull any thing. drink plenty of water but to lose weight you may also want to look at what it is you are eating and look in to if you need to change some of your eating habits.
If you go to the gym on a schedule you may meet people and talk with them but really most people are there to work out rather than to look at others there.

Tipsy Browser

5,550 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Profitable 100
Tiggette
Your main goal going into this, I think, is focusing on not getting burnt out. Success will be derived from setting small goals and gaining motivation by meeting them.

By no means should you get there and turn your treadmill to the pace of someone who looks like they're a regular. You'll kill yourself trying to appear "normal" and it's really difficult to overcome that mental barrier of not wanting to go through that pain again.

I totally understand this. The last time I went running I really pushed myself and way too much. I didn't go into it in the best mood to begin with, long story short I was hurting for dayssss.

I think its important for anyone trying to lose weight to realize that its a process and results wont be immediate. That's a really hard mindset to get over for myself and a lot of others. neutral

Tipsy Browser

5,550 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Profitable 100
Nya-ten
start out easy and gradually over the weeks go a little harder at it. when going to the gym you should remember to stretch before and after a work out so not to pull any thing. drink plenty of water but to lose weight you may also want to look at what it is you are eating and look in to if you need to change some of your eating habits.
If you go to the gym on a schedule you may meet people and talk with them but really most people are there to work out rather than to look at others there.

Could it possibly be what I'm not eating instead? I rarely eat breakfast, lunch is usually ramen noodles, and if I happen to eat lunch then I'm usually not hungry for dinner. Right now my financial situation isn't the best so when I do have the money I get a little crazy (eating out, ordering food). I only do it about twice a month but maybe those few days of absolutely terrible eating is taking its toll?

Stretching, that's mentioned a lot, gotta remember that!

I thank you all for the replies by the way, it's really encouraging and I'm looking forward to the gym more and more. I think once I get the hang of it and realize its not the scary place I make it out to be then I can get into a great routine. Its just that first step redface

Newbie Noob

People in the gym share the same mindset. Everyone just lets everybody do their business, so don't worry too much. You're all there for the same reason, just some have been there longer then others. smile

What I suggest doing first is eating a snack before you go to the gym. Bring some water with you and a towel (If you sweat a lot.)

Stretch first then go ahead and do any cardio work out you'd like.

Cardio work outs include everything that moves your whole body.

Easy things are the treadmill, the bike, jumping jacks, etc.
iRave_Karma
Nya-ten

Could it possibly be what I'm not eating instead? I rarely eat breakfast, lunch is usually ramen noodles, and if I happen to eat lunch then I'm usually not hungry for dinner. Right now my financial situation isn't the best so when I do have the money I get a little crazy (eating out, ordering food). I only do it about twice a month but maybe those few days of absolutely terrible eating is taking its toll?

I thank you all for the replies by the way, it's really encouraging and I'm looking forward to the gym more and more. I think once I get the hang of it and realize its not the scary place I make it out to be then I can get into a great routine. Its just that first step redface

I'm a university student living off campus it gets really hard to manage to eat right but when you start to look at what is on sale for that week and coupons things get easier over time.
When working out food is what gives you energy and breakfast is important. Counting calories a great way to see how much you need to eat in a day and to keep track through the day! slowly look in to finding cheap food at a store that sells no name brands such as No Name, Great Value, and Presidents Choice, but that is for my country. eating small meals through out the day may help.
Start the change slow so not to shock your body.
I hope that you can feel better about your self and get in to the routine that works for you! sorry for the long reply redface

Tipsy Browser

5,550 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Profitable 100
Nya-ten
iRave_Karma
Nya-ten

I'm a university student living off campus it gets really hard to manage to eat right but when you start to look at what is on sale for that week and coupons things get easier over time.
When working out food is what gives you energy and breakfast is important. Counting calories a great way to see how much you need to eat in a day and to keep track through the day! slowly look in to finding cheap food at a store that sells no name brands such as No Name, Great Value, and Presidents Choice, but that is for my country. eating small meals through out the day may help.
I hope that you can feel better about your self and get in to the routine that works for you! sorry for the long reply redface

No worries about the long replies ^_^ What do you normally shop for when you shop for food? Just asking so I have an idea. I used to eat the "healthy" meals that just go in the microwave but holy crap they had a ton of sodium. I don't get many fresh fruits and veggies since they just spoil and I have to throw them out -___-

Gonna check out some coupons tomorrow just to see whats going on near me.

Counting calories...I don't want to run you all away with my endless typing so i'll just save that for another time lol.
iRave_Karma
Nya-ten
iRave_Karma

No worries about the long replies ^_^ What do you normally shop for when you shop for food? Just asking so I have an idea. I used to eat the "healthy" meals that just go in the microwave but holy crap they had a ton of sodium. I don't get many fresh fruits and veggies since they just spoil and I have to throw them out -___-

Gonna check out some coupons tomorrow just to see whats going on near me.

Counting calories...I don't want to run you all away with my endless typing so i'll just save that for another time lol.

I started eating salads more. When kept in the fridge they last for about a week and a half at least. The family value packs of meat they look pricey but some times worth it and freeze them in serving size baggies. same for ground beef section it and freeze them. Frozen veges and frozen fruit they don't have additives and only need to go in the microwave or run under warm water to defrost them. I also buy rice in bulk. I go to the bulk barn for things like flour, rice, nuts and snack kind of things.

I'm not sure on how to count calories. but if you have a cell phone that you can download apps on there are a few that are easy to use. It will be the same with if you google it.
all i have to say is dont push yourself too hard when you are trying to meet a goal pirate biggrin
Good Luck and stay healthy!!! wink 3nodding

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces