A friend / family member does 0.0625 6.2% [ 1 ]
Total Votes:[ 16 ]

Shy Dabbler

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
** This forum supports recovery, not worsening an eating disorder **

1 in 200 American women suffer from anorexia.

2 - 3 in 100 American women suffer from bulimia.

There are 3 major types of eating disorders.

Anorexia Nervosa :

Anorexia Nervosa is diagnosed when patients weigh at least 15 percent less than the normal healthy weight expected for their height. People with Anorexia Nervosa don't maintain a normal weight because they refuse to eat enough, often exercise obsessively, and sometimes force themselves to vomit or use laxatives to lose weight. Over time, the following symptoms may develop as the body goes into starvation:

• Menstrual periods cease
• Osteopenia or osteoporosis (thinning of the bones) through loss of calcium
• Hair/nails become brittle
• Skin dries and can take on a yellowish cast
• Mild anemia and muscles, including the heart muscle, waste away
• Severe constipation
• Drop in blood pressure, slowed breathing and pulse rates
• Internal body temperature falls, causing person to feel cold all the time
• Depression, and lethargy

Bulimia Nervosa :

Although they may frequently diet and vigorously exercise, individuals with bulimia nervosa can be slightly underweight, normal weight, overweight or even obese. But, they are never as underweight as anorexia nervosa sufferers. Patients with bulimia nervosa binge eat frequently, and during these times sufferers may eat an astounding amount of food in a short time, often consuming thousands of calories that are high in sugars, carbohydrates, and fat. They can eat very rapidly, sometimes gulping down food without even tasting it.

Their binges often end only when they are interrupted by another person, or they fall asleep, or their stomach hurts from being stretched beyond normal capacity. During an eating binge sufferers feel out of control. After a binge, stomach pains and the fear of weight gain are common reasons that those with bulimia nervosa purge by throwing up or using a laxative. This cycle is usually repeated at least several times a week or, in serious cases, several times a day. Many people don’t know when a family member or friend has bulimia nervosa because sufferers almost always hide their binges. Since they don’t become drastically thin, their behaviors may go unnoticed by those closest to them. But bulimia nervosa does have symptoms that should raise red flags:

• Chronically inflamed and sore throat
• Salivary glands in the neck and below the jaw become swollen. Cheeks and face often become puffy, causing sufferers to develop a “chipmunk” looking face
• Tooth enamel wears off, teeth begin to decay from exposure to stomach acids
• Constant vomiting causes gastroesophageal reflux disorder
• Laxative abuse causes irritation, leading to intestinal problems
• Diuretics (water pills) cause kidney problems
• Severe dehydration from purging of fluids

Binge Eating Disorder :

Presently, the criteria for binge eating disorder are under investigation or are still being defined. However, people with binge eating disorder have episodes of binge eating in which they consume very large quantities of food in a brief period and feel out of control during the binge. Unlike people with bulimia nervosa, they do not try to get rid of the food by inducing vomiting or by using other unsafe practices such as fasting or laxative abuse. The binge eating is chronic and can lead to serious health complications, particularly severe obesity, diabetes, hypertension and cardiovascular diseases

This is a support forum for any sufferers of an eating disorder, recovery, friends / family members who suffer, etc.

We are here to support each other through recovery, and getting better.

Feel free to explain your story / situation, ask for help, and advice.

Disclaimer : I am not a health care professional. I have suffered from an eating disorder and still do, and decided I wanted to help others through it.

Which eating disorder do you suffer from?

Shy Dabbler

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Lady Kariel

I can't be diagnosed as Anorexic due to not being underweight, so EDNOS.
Cutsie Mootsie
Lady Kariel

Oh I see. I went through a period of depression once where I stopped eating for days on end. But it was because the depression completely consumed my mind and I just didn't think about eating.

Shy Dabbler

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Lady Kariel
Cutsie Mootsie
Lady Kariel

Oh I see. I went through a period of depression once where I stopped eating for days on end. But it was because the depression completely consumed my mind and I just didn't think about eating.

My issues stem back from being teased when I weighed 170 pounds. Now I'm down to 125 pounds, but still don't feel good enough. I'm currently going through therapy to figure out how to deal with it.
Cutsie Mootsie
Lady Kariel
Cutsie Mootsie
Lady Kariel

My issues stem back from being teased when I weighed 170 pounds. Now I'm down to 125 pounds, but still don't feel good enough. I'm currently going through therapy to figure out how to deal with it.

I'm sorry. That's awful. I think when I was younger I had family members who used to make comments about my weight too which kind of made me feel bad but I didn't really do anything about it. My greatest weight was 150 but now I am 128. A lot of my weight comes from my bone density and muscles too. Not just fat. So I tend to not keep track of my weight as much as I used to.

Shy Dabbler

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Lady Kariel
Cutsie Mootsie
Lady Kariel
Cutsie Mootsie
Lady Kariel

I'm sorry. That's awful. I think when I was younger I had family members who used to make comments about my weight too which kind of made me feel bad but I didn't really do anything about it. My greatest weight was 150 but now I am 128. A lot of my weight comes from my bone density and muscles too. Not just fat. So I tend to not keep track of my weight as much as I used to.

I have more of an intense fear of gaining than anything else. It sucks, because it hurts not only you, but your family and friends. I'm getting better though. 3nodding
Cutsie Mootsie
Lady Kariel
Cutsie Mootsie
Lady Kariel
Cutsie Mootsie
Lady Kariel

I have more of an intense fear of gaining than anything else. It sucks, because it hurts not only you, but your family and friends. I'm getting better though. 3nodding

That's good news!
My aunt died from anorexia. I have a deep passionate hatred for all those "pro ana" people on Tumblr. -_-

Lonely Browser

8,150 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Conversationalist 100
The Reading Insomniac
My aunt died from anorexia. I have a deep passionate hatred for all those "pro ana" people on Tumblr. -_-

I am very sorry sad . I agree with you ! I have/had anorexia and it bothers me soo much how girls on tumblr believe that being anorexic is a lifestyle, not an illness.

Shy Dabbler

7,350 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Voter 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Just an update on my battle, if anyone was curious!

Eating has been extremely difficult, feeling full is so uncomfortable. o n o

But, I have been eating more! Instead of around 300 calories a day I'm up to 700-1,000! ♥

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff