Welcome to Gaia! ::

Liberal Capitalist

Hey there!
I'm a mixed martial artist and I do boxing and Muay Thai.

The other day some people in the gym were debating about cross fit.
Some people really didn't like it, while the others didn't seem anything wrong with it and how it can actually show results.

What are your thoughts? I've seen a lot of negative stuff about it. Can anyone clear the air for me about if it's a good thing or not? Doesn't Reebok have a crossfit line lol?

Newbie Noob

Axela the Time Lord
HWhat are your thoughts? I've seen a lot of negative stuff about it. Can anyone clear the air for me about if it's a good thing or not? Doesn't Reebok have a crossfit line lol?
I think cross fit has it's place, but it's only for a certain kind of person. The kind of person that likes some competition, but knows not to take it too far.
The principles of correct and safe training apply to CrossFit like they do to any other exercise program. They are-

1. Never compromise on form. It's easy to fall into bad movement patterns when you're tired. You need to be really clued up so you can see technique errors, or have someone who knows what they're doing spot you. Remember, just because your friend reads Men's Health, doesn't make him an expert. If you haven't been taught correct form before, hire a suitably qualified coach (i.e. one with the initials CSCS after their name).

2. Use correct programming. The order of your exercises in a workout, and the order of exercise progression over a long period of time, will have a huge impact on your gains.

3. To make decent progress, you need to stick with the same exercises for at least a little while so your body can learn the movements, get good at the movements, and then adapt to the stress those movements put on you.

CrossFit can fail on all three points because it promotes poor exercises (kipping pull ups are outright ridiculous, for example), has no sense of programming (jumbled up exercises + crazy intensity = over-fatigue and zero gains), and its "constantly varied" progression means you don't stick with one protocol long enough to make any progress.

You need to ask yourself what your goals are and select an appropriate, time tested program before falling for the clever marketing and drinking the CrossFit kool
aid.

The Almighty Loud's Honey Bun

Ice-Cold Conversationalist

Axela the Time Lord
Hey there!

Some people really didn't like it, while the others didn't seem anything wrong with it and how it can actually show results.

What are your thoughts? I've seen a lot of negative stuff about it. Can anyone clear the air for me about if it's a good thing or not? Doesn't Reebok have a crossfit line lol?

The problem with crossfit is that you have to go to a good crossfit gym or you will inevitably injure yourself. there's a lot of crossfit gyms that don't care about form, and when it comes to weightlifting, form is the most important thing, or you've got a one way ticket to snap city.

I also dont really agree with the whole circuit training thing. Running/doing pullups right before doing weights seems dangerous as you tire out your body before doing movements that you could injure yourself on if not done properly.

Yeah, it gives results, but I think you'd get more improvement doing weightlifting and then cardio after, or alternating cardio and weight days. Just my two cents

Lavish Lunatic

I'm not a fan of the program but to each their own. It's a half cocked training program made to coddle incomplete's.

Sugary Daredevil

From what I know of it a big strain on the heart
and thaat people, healthy people have dies doing it

Interesting Hunter

Axela the Time Lord
Hey there!

There's nothing wrong with crossfit...
As Buckminster Fuller’s concept of mutual accommodation says: “Correctly organized, functionally sound systems are never in opposition. They mutually support one another.”

However, there IS a problem.
That problem being a large, LARGE amount of new practitioners (and so called coaches) that practice it without proper care and form. That inevitably calls the attention of the athlete community in different ways.

Just as many people train and teach without knowing what they are doing, there's also a large amount of athletes and wannabe's that don't know what CrossFit really is and criticize without bases. Most of what I've seen for such critiques seems to me like athlete's egos competing against each other instead of caring about facts... seems pointless to me.

---
Also, Crossfit is not exactly a training method... it's a company founded by Greg Glassman and Lauren Jenai in 2000.
Like any other method before it, it will always be criticized by almost any training method that came before (even those that were born in the same way).
And yes, Rebook has something to do with it. I believe it was 2011 that they got engaged with the brand (not bought it, but got a partnership). So most of the official CrossFit things you see around will have "Rebook" branded somewhere in them.

Dapper Codger

gl1tchz
Axela the Time Lord
Hey there!

There's nothing wrong with crossfit...
As Buckminster Fuller’s concept of mutual accommodation says: “Correctly organized, functionally sound systems are never in opposition. They mutually support one another.”

However, there IS a problem.
That problem being a large, LARGE amount of new practitioners (and so called coaches) that practice it without proper care and form. That inevitably calls the attention of the athlete community in different ways.

Just as many people train and teach without knowing what they are doing, there's also a large amount of athletes and wannabe's that don't know what CrossFit really is and criticize without bases. Most of what I've seen for such critiques seems to me like athlete's egos competing against each other instead of caring about facts... seems pointless to me.

---
Also, Crossfit is not exactly a training method... it's a company founded by Greg Glassman and Lauren Jenai in 2000.
Like any other method before it, it will always be criticized by almost any training method that came before (even those that were born in the same way).
And yes, Rebook has something to do with it. I believe it was 2011 that they got engaged with the brand (not bought it, but got a partnership). So most of the official CrossFit things you see around will have "Rebook" branded somewhere in them.

I love the fact that crossfit seems to be encouraging people to be fit and find out what their bodies are capable of, but my god, people seem to be out to hurt themselves by doing some of that stuff.
I remember seeing this video of this guy doing, what, 60 kips in 3 minutes or something? His hands were all torn and bloody and he was sooooo proud of it.

... What? That's the 'crossfit mentality' that I hate, that injury = getting better or working hard.
If anything, injury means you screwed up and you need to fix your form, and it shouldn't be a source of pride.

Also, this thing:
http://broscience.co/horrible-deadlifts-crossfit-games/

That girl got the okay for that last hitch-dance-lift. I know that powerlifters have a tendency to arch their back, but holy moly, there was no lock-out whatsoever, the entire 'lift' was a hitch, and her feet weren't planted for more than a second during that entire thing.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff