Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello! I'm on the road to losing weight, but my lifestyle keeps me back. I have tried to slow incorporate better foods into my diet without much success. I love healthy and organic foods, that's not the problem. I also try not to overeat, but sometimes I do. It's just I keep having cravings for sweet things and that's what gets me. They get so bad I end up gorging and then binging - which I know isn't healthy at all. I just want these sweet cravings to stop or find healthier alternatives to the sweet treats I crave.

Does anyone have any advice on how to control or curb sweet cravings? Do you have any healthy sweets you like?

OMG Dragon's Husband

Invisible Gaian

Have you tried gum?
Overlord Jianichie
Have you tried gum?

Yeah. Gum just made my jaw hurt and I kept swallowing it.

OMG Dragon's Husband

Invisible Gaian

SelenaMeeka
Overlord Jianichie
Have you tried gum?

Dang. Hm. Well, the key factor in resolving this is self control. Set a realistic time line for yourself to gradually reduce your intake of sweets. So, let's say you decide three weeks is ample time. Week one you could have your norm but week two you cut that in half and so forth. Another idea is buy sweets you don't like. So if you hate Twinkees for example buy a box of those and eat one during your urges. That in theory will essentially tell you brain "wait, why am I eating this crap?". If you cannot obtain self control my only other suggestion is consult a dietritian regarding this matter. Eating issues are a real and serious matter and should be treated as such.
Overlord Jianichie
SelenaMeeka
Overlord Jianichie
Have you tried gum?

Dang. Hm. Well, the key factor in resolving this is self control. Set a realistic time line for yourself to gradually reduce your intake of sweets. So, let's say you decide three weeks is ample time. Week one you could have your norm but week two you cut that in half and so forth. Another idea is buy sweets you don't like. So if you hate Twinkees for example buy a box of those and eat one during your urges. That in theory will essentially tell you brain "wait, why am I eating this crap?". If you cannot obtain self control my only other suggestion is consult a dietritian regarding this matter. Eating issues are a real and serious matter and should be treated as such.

That makes sense. I'll do the few weeks thing and see if that helps. If not, I think my insurance covers a dietitian so I might consult one of those. Thank you, I hadn't thought about either of those. biggrin

OMG Dragon's Husband

Invisible Gaian

SelenaMeeka
Overlord Jianichie
SelenaMeeka
Overlord Jianichie
Have you tried gum?

That makes sense. I'll do the few weeks thing and see if that helps. If not, I think my insurance covers a dietitian so I might consult one of those. Thank you, I hadn't thought about either of those. biggrin
My pleasure! Best wishes on resolving this matter.

Shirtless Tycoon

15,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Josie 25
I love chocolate and I can't live without it.

I have dark chocolate chips. I ration out 15 of the ghirardelli ones and it's only ~80 calories.

I also get some full-out fattening dessert 1-2 times a week. A little fat and sugar is not bad for you if you only eat it once a week. I hope that helps.
Gossy
I love chocolate and I can't live without it.

I have dark chocolate chips. I ration out 15 of the ghirardelli ones and it's only ~80 calories.

I also get some full-out fattening dessert 1-2 times a week. A little fat and sugar is not bad for you if you only eat it once a week. I hope that helps.

Thank you. I am going to start incorporating that idea in my reduction. I found some semi-sweet chocolate chips that are dairy free (which helps me out a lot) and what you said will help me not eat them all at once and still keep my sweet tooth satisfied. smile I got some Enjoy Life brand. They're pretty good. I've had the ones you had before, those are good too.

Fluffy Bunny

3,550 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
The only way that worked for me is when I have a sweet craving, I eat a big bowl of berrries or something sweet. Usually it's only 60-90 calories depending on what fruits I use, but if you want something sweeter just heat up a bit of honey and drizzle it on the fruit. It's super yummy, lower calorie, and it takes up my sweet cravings.
try dark chocolate, if youre not a fan the way i weened myself off of sweets is whenever i would get a craving i would grab some strawberries (4- cool put them in a bowl and measure out a tablespoon of sugar and dip my strawberries in it and eat that. I know it is not healthy but it is a good way to help your sweet tooth and still get some good nutrition in. I did this for a couple of months while tweeking my food choices and reducing the # of strawberries until i didnt feel the craving anymore! now i set certain dates to treat myself! it helps keep me from deciding to binge on junk!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff