Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shirtless Wrangler

I have been going to school and my field of study is Kinesiology, so naturally, my dad comes to me for advice... lol (although, I am not studying to be a dietician.)
My dad is pretty tall, 5'11, around 210lb (towering over little ole me, at a measly 5'3).

The only struggle I have are the workouts I am trying to write for him. My dad wants to strengthen his knees and his arms... well his whole body so he can ride the waves when he ventures out on his vacation to Costa Rica in February.

I figure I will do a lot of walking since he is generally out of shape (not obese, just overweight), and body weight exercises so I can get his range of motion back to about the same as a 30 year olds.
Although, I want to know that I really am working him.

What is my question for you to assist me with? Well, really, Where to begin? Should I start off slow walking, and on our walks increase speed and then stop to do some interval calisthenics (body weight exercises) along the route? Like squats and stuff? (It's so confusing because I am not a licensed personal trainer so the last thing I want to do is put my dad in any kind of agony.) I also figure my dad has a higher heart rate since he eats rather unhealthfully (I wouldn't say he eats fast food, because he doesnt, but he eats out at nice restaurants.) He's willing to go shopping for a better diet and I kind of don't know what to suggest to eat either- So, some help there would be nice.

WHATEVER you guys have in mind would be very useful. Thank you so much peeps, and hopefully I will get a response! Please, no joking responses, please. this is a serious question, serious answers only would be great.
I think cardio would be your best bet. He can start off by jogging and walking in between and then gradually build up to keeping a sustained jog. Not anything overly vigorous like sprinting but something to get his blood pumping and lose weight effectively. I would suggest some vegetarian recipes. Things like these.

Divine Zealot

Blondie - The Good
Well, really, Where to begin? Should I start off slow walking, and on our walks increase speed and then stop to do some interval calisthenics (body weight exercises) along the route? Like squats and stuff? (It's so confusing because I am not a licensed personal trainer so the last thing I want to do is put my dad in any kind of agony.)

I would say, that with his age, a mix of calisthenic work and weights would work wonders. The calisthenics to bring some mobility with endurance and the weight training to build strength.

Quote:
I also figure my dad has a higher heart rate since he eats rather unhealthfully (I wouldn't say he eats fast food, because he doesnt, but he eats out at nice restaurants.) He's willing to go shopping for a better diet and I kind of don't know what to suggest to eat either- So, some help there would be nice.

You're going to get a mix of answers to this. I think this would be a great place to start.
Poe-Sensei
Blondie - The Good
Well, really, Where to begin? Should I start off slow walking, and on our walks increase speed and then stop to do some interval calisthenics (body weight exercises) along the route? Like squats and stuff? (It's so confusing because I am not a licensed personal trainer so the last thing I want to do is put my dad in any kind of agony.)

I would say, that with his age, a mix of calisthenic work and weights would work wonders. The calisthenics to bring some mobility with endurance and the weight training to build strength.

Quote:
I also figure my dad has a higher heart rate since he eats rather unhealthfully (I wouldn't say he eats fast food, because he doesnt, but he eats out at nice restaurants.) He's willing to go shopping for a better diet and I kind of don't know what to suggest to eat either- So, some help there would be nice.

You're going to get a mix of answers to this. I think this would be a great place to start.

It's an art to cook, that's for certain. But you must be some sort of artist, because despite looking as though you've been recently souffled (What is that garish outfit?) you've actually managed to impress me with your knowledge of fine dining. Carry on.

Shirtless Wrangler

Lady Kariel

Poe-Sensei

Thank you, I am going to take your words for it!
I mean, surfing?

That's a lot of stability, resistance, and most importantly learning not to drown (AKA Swimming).

I would tell him to go to his local rec center and pump out 20 min of cardio two days a week, if he's capable get him under the barbell, and most importantly... Resistance training in water.

This can be achieved by just swimming a lot at first. You'd be surprised how many stabilizing muscles work underwater.

Gaian

Water Yoga.

Shirtless Wrangler

Cinduhquil
I mean, surfing?

That's a lot of stability, resistance, and most importantly learning not to drown (AKA Swimming).

I would tell him to go to his local rec center and pump out 20 min of cardio two days a week, if he's capable get him under the barbell, and most importantly... Resistance training in water.

This can be achieved by just swimming a lot at first. You'd be surprised how many stabilizing muscles work underwater.

Thank you! And my dad has been surfing for a few years, but no massive waves. I know it's kind of ridiculous but my dad is pretty silly for wanting to surf because he's not the healthiest person out there... But I totally agree with this, and thank you ! I really agree with the resistance training in water
Blondie - The Good
Cinduhquil
I mean, surfing?

Thank you! And my dad has been surfing for a few years, but no massive waves. I know it's kind of ridiculous but my dad is pretty silly for wanting to surf because he's not the healthiest person out there... But I totally agree with this, and thank you ! I really agree with the resistance training in water

No problem. Remember to ALWAYS check in with the appropriate medical professionals to see what your loved one can and cannot do.

In fact, swimming all by itself is perfectly enough for that age mainly because he won't be adding more stress on his ligaments.

Better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces