Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wealthy Entrepreneur

So, my mother is going me on this weight loss journey, but in need of advice. She is 48 and diabetic, her diabetes isn't perfectly controlled at the moment, so she never knows what it's going to do. The most she is willing to do at the moment is walking, slowly.

Her doctor is away on vacation until next month, hence why she's going to the internet for advice.

She has limited movement in one of her arms, can't even raise it all the way up straight, she doesn't want to take anything supplement wise, though she is a big tea drinker.
If anyone knows of anything exercises she could do, that she might be able to do, we'd be grateful.
Thank Yew! 3nodding heart
Out of the question:
Push-Ups
Running
Sit-Ups
Very Intense Exercises

Premium Trainer

3,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
RainbowCrash13
So, my mother is going me on this weight loss journey, but in need of advice. She is 48 and diabetic, her diabetes isn't perfectly controlled at the moment, so she never knows what it's going to do. The most she is willing to do at the moment is walking, slowly.

Her doctor is away on vacation until next month, hence why she's going to the internet for advice.

She has limited movement in one of her arms, can't even raise it all the way up straight, she doesn't want to take anything supplement wise, though she is a big tea drinker.
If anyone knows of anything exercises she could do, that she might be able to do, we'd be grateful.
Thank Yew! 3nodding heart
Out of the question:
Push-Ups
Running
Sit-Ups
Very Intense Exercises

has her doctor recommended her to see another doctor while they are on vacation? thats really something a good doctor shoulda done before going on vacation. the internet will only help a bit, what kind of diabetes is it?

11,500 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Hive Mind 200
She should definitely take it slow. Specially with no doctor around at the moment.

Walking is probably a good idea. She should invest in a Fitbit. http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Wireless-Activity-Sleep-Tracker/dp/B0095PZHPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372763129&sr=8-1&keywords=fitbit

My mom has one and swears by it.

Again keep it simple, walking is the best right now. And if you're walking with her, that could be a great support system as well as motivation for her.

Lucky Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
Well, Theres always sitting in a sauna for an hour. Other than that, walking and not running? Walking around everywhere is apparently very healthy.
Is the arm movement problem due to an injury or are her muscles just weak?

I would recommend starting with physical therapy and walking. Physical therapy could really help build muscle and strengthen her core with simple, non-intensive exercises. She would also be under the care of a trained physical therapist, which has benefits.

Swimming (treading water, water walking) is also an option.

6,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
Diabetes is a serious medical condition. She needs to consult a medical professional on the issue of weight loss. That being said, since exercise is "out of the question" she needs to go on a strict diet. That's going to be the only way.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff