Welcome to Gaia! ::

Scary Lover

19,300 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
I'll ask the questions, you answer and get random prizes! wink If you ask me, I can give you up to 3 hints per question. smile

Question 1:

The quintessential storybook witch was not originally a wise woman with a cauldron, a broom and a few spells up her sleeve. In Celtic times, what was she known to be?

Question 2:

Through the ages, the name of our favorite candy-giving holiday has had about six different name alterations/changes. What were they?

Question 3:

Halloween wasn't always represented by pumpkins, nor was the jack-o-lantern originally an American idea. What was the original vegetable and where did the tradition come from?

Question 4:

On Samhain night, people believed forces of good and bad luck were caused by two warring factions of what kind of mythical creature? Also, what were those factions called?

Question 5:

In Europe, there was something like the idea of trick-or-treating, before America had trick-or-treating. What was it called?

Question 6:

Dracula is a fictional vampire character that many today know about. However, he was based on a real historical figure. Who was it and why was he used as inspiration for that character?

Question 7:

What was the original horror film and when did it come out?

Question 8:

Who was the first singer to perform The Monster Mash?

Question 9:

Why do people carve frightening faces into pumpkins or dress up on Halloween?

Question 10:

In what war did Halloween in America almost meet it's maker?

Question 11:

Trick-or-treating has gone through a lot of issues in the past, from attracting the first kids to the candy and costumes, to surviving World War II. What was it's most recent issue with families? Was this issue a proven event that could happen to just anyone, or did it only happen to one person?

Green Ladykiller

A medicine woman? whee

Fluffy Flatterer

Hana_Imakura

A healer?

or

Wiccan?

Shy Noob

A spawn of the devil?

Green Ladykiller

Cresent Elegance
A spawn of the devil?

LOL

Shy Noob

Taylonn
Cresent Elegance
A spawn of the devil?

LOL

XD
Well it's sort of true~ whee

Scary Lover

19,300 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
Jew Jackman
Hana_Imakura

A healer?

or

Wiccan?

(Oh my gosh I love your costume. I love horror and Pinocchio is my FAVORITE fairytale story. <3)

You're close with using a Celtic term. However, Wicca was their central religion. There were wise women and men who were healers, but they were not referred to as witches or wizards/warlocks. They were referred to as fellow Wiccans.

The original "witch" was something of the fairytale/folklore kind. She was a sort of monster and many places in Ireland are named after what forces were thought to be caused by such monsters.

Scary Lover

19,300 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
Taylonn
A medicine woman? whee

Close, but no cigar. Try the mythical creatures category. smile

Scary Lover

19,300 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
Cresent Elegance
A spawn of the devil?

Rofl Good try, but the devil wasn't made up yet. (No offense to my own religion: Christianity.) The devil was not made up until the Christians began invading other countries and imposing their religion on others.

Scary Lover

19,300 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
Taylonn
Cresent Elegance
A spawn of the devil?

LOL

I know. XD Funny answer!

Green Ladykiller

Someone said Wiccans but I'll say Pagans!

Shy Noob

Hana_Imakura
Cresent Elegance
A spawn of the devil?

Rofl Good try, but the devil wasn't made up yet. (No offense to my own religion: Christianity.) The devil was not made up until the Christians began invading other countries and imposing their religion on others.

Ah~
I did not know that.
But with that knowledge I am now confused ; A ;

Didn't he trick Adam and Eve?
Or was that a lie? D:

Fluffy Flatterer

Hana_Imakura

Thanks(:
At least I was close. lol

Scary Lover

19,300 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cat Fancier 100
Cresent Elegance
Hana_Imakura
Cresent Elegance
A spawn of the devil?

Ah~
I did not know that.
But with that knowledge I am now confused ; A ;

Didn't he trick Adam and Eve?
Or was that a lie? D:

His trick on Adam and Eve was only in the Bible. O.O He's not actually physically real... Although demons actually exist paranormally.

The only reason we have the devil in our Bible is because the early Christians got the idea from the Celtic faery folk. The Celts had a belief in a sort of "after life" world in which resided faery people both good and bad. In an attempt to ostracize Wicca, the Christians took those faeries and turned them into demonic characters that played awful tricks on the unsuspecting (really not much different from the way they actually were, only now, ALL faeries were bad.). Out of this, the biblical character of the devil was born to scare people into letting go of their own beliefs and to start adhering to the Christian ways.

Lucky Informer

12,100 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • Forum Junior 100
Hana_Imakura

Question 1:

The quintessential storybook witch was not originally a wise woman with a cauldron, a broom and a few spells up her sleeve. In Celtic times, what was she known to be?

A conjurer?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces