Quotable Phantom

7,600 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Katow-Jo
Ginger Bird
Katow-Jo
So, I'm planning on transferring in spring semester. I don't have a choice but to leave then. Any advice on how to go out and make new friends?

Depends if its a large or small college. Clubs tend to work well, even if you don't have a strong interest in an area. It works best if its a small club in an obscure area, officers and regulars will flock to you, trying to encourage you to stay. Good way to meet people.

If you go to a small college, randomly going up to people works, and is not as creepy as you would think.

That didn't work for the college I'm in now (small college).

I'm going to Pitt, pretty big. I already have people's interest in joining a group that helps other transfers, as well as rowing possibly, and my mother's sorority is there. The problem is just getting there. Like I said I have to wait until spring if I'm lucky.

Pledging might be a good way to meet people.

However, it is important to realize that friends don't just pop-up and you have to work to get close to people.
Ginger Bird
Katow-Jo
Ginger Bird
Katow-Jo
So, I'm planning on transferring in spring semester. I don't have a choice but to leave then. Any advice on how to go out and make new friends?

Depends if its a large or small college. Clubs tend to work well, even if you don't have a strong interest in an area. It works best if its a small club in an obscure area, officers and regulars will flock to you, trying to encourage you to stay. Good way to meet people.

If you go to a small college, randomly going up to people works, and is not as creepy as you would think.

I'm going to Pitt, pretty big. I already have people's interest in joining a group that helps other transfers, as well as rowing possibly, and my mother's sorority is there. The problem is just getting there. Like I said I have to wait until spring if I'm lucky.

However, it is important to realize that friends don't just pop-up and you have to work to get close to people.

Yes. I am quite aware thanks.
I'm fine at making friends, it's just when they turn psychotic on me, it's hard to keep them as friends. That's what happened at my current college.

Quotable Phantom

7,600 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Katow-Jo
Ginger Bird
Katow-Jo
Ginger Bird
Katow-Jo

Yes. I am quite aware thanks.
I'm fine at making friends, it's just when they turn psychotic on me, it's hard to keep them as friends. That's what happened at my current college.

Ah, the old "small college were everyone knows each other" blow-up? Seen it happen a lot.

Greedy Explorer

hey I'm a high school graduate with only one extra curricular activity to show for it, I'm mainly get As or high Bs, but I took no AP classes. I just want to get my associates degree and start working. How much time will that take? Oh, and I don't have a lot of money, what kind of financial do you recommend? I don't want to have to owe anyone $25k when I graduate, I just want to go to a small community college and get it over with.

Quotable Phantom

7,600 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
metsumei
hey I'm a high school graduate with only one extra curricular activity to show for it, I'm mainly get As or high Bs, but I took no AP classes. I just want to get my associates degree and start working. How much time will that take? Oh, and I don't have a lot of money, what kind of financial do you recommend? I don't want to have to owe anyone $25k when I graduate, I just want to go to a small community college and get it over with.

Then go to a community college. Tuition there is much cheaper than a four year institution. Not exactly sure how much though. On average, it should take two years for an associates, longer if you plan to work full time while getting your degree.

Greedy Explorer

Ginger Bird
metsumei

Then go to a community college. Tuition there is much cheaper than a four year institution. Not exactly sure how much though. On average, it should take two years for an associates, longer if you plan to work full time while getting your degree.

Mom and dad want me to go to college for 6 months, then start working.... but working while studying, I've never been there. Are dorms necessary for all freshmen?

Quotable Phantom

7,600 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
metsumei
Ginger Bird
metsumei

Mom and dad want me to go to college for 6 months, then start working.... but working while studying, I've never been there. Are dorms necessary for all freshmen?

Most community colleges don't even have dorms. Some may do, but I haven't heard of one.

Greedy Explorer

Ginger Bird
metsumei
Ginger Bird
metsumei

Most community colleges don't even have dorms. Some may do, but I haven't heard of one.

Okay, thanks for the help ^ ^ I'll probably come back with more questions later though sweatdrop

Greedy Explorer

whats the abbreviation of an associate's degree?

Quotable Phantom

7,600 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
metsumei
whats the abbreviation of an associate's degree?

Depends on the area. A.A, for an associates of arts. A.S. for an associates of science, and so on...

Greedy Explorer

nvm I go it, my bad, meant to click submit earlier sweatdrop
What do you suggest people bring to the dorms and how much time do you think people send in the dorms on average?

Quotable Phantom

7,600 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
SavvyQueen
What do you suggest people bring to the dorms and how much time do you think people send in the dorms on average?

Bring a fan, air conditioning in dorms are horrible.

As for time, it depends on the person. I usually used my room to sleep and socialized elsewhere. I didn't even study in my room.
Ginger Bird
SavvyQueen

As for time, it depends on the person. I usually used my room to sleep and socialized elsewhere. I didn't even study in my room.

Any other suggestions of stuff to bring? I keep getting so many different things from pop-up hampers to microwave egg-poachers I'm confused as hell as to what I should actually bring.

Quotable Phantom

7,600 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
SavvyQueen
Ginger Bird
SavvyQueen

Any other suggestions of stuff to bring? I keep getting so many different things from pop-up hampers to microwave egg-poachers I'm confused as hell as to what I should actually bring.

The biggest mistake people make is to bring too much stuff. In reality, all you really need are your clothes, books, toiletries, sheets, computer, backpack and a light. Maybe a fridge, depending on dorm rules. Everything else is secondary. If you need something when you get there, you can always buy it at the local Walmart/Target.

Unfortunately, it was hard for me to follow my own advice because my mother took over my packing, giving me way too much stuff. In addition to that, I accrued so much stuff over the years from college, that I now have tons of boxes sitting in my basement.

Oh, but do make sure you have your information,like a passport, id and insurance info. It makes getting official stuff done more easily.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff