Welcome to Gaia! ::

Devoted Phantom

11,850 Points
  • Sunny Side Up 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
But he is good at football. (The American version at least.)

He taught the whole team how to be good at (American) football!!

Fashionable Player

6,500 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Contributor 150
IMO? yeah he is a little too gay. I wish they didn't make him so girly.. but I guess it fits his character and all. Doesn't bother me too much since Blaine is there to balance everything out. ^^;;

Wheezing Smoker

5,300 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Dressed Up 200
FSRKJHGJG
Ehh you can never have too much gay. heart

I like your siggy..sooo cute <3

Shameless Nerd

27,375 Points
  • Pie Trafficker 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Happy Birthday! 100
The weird, and I guess sad thing is, that Kurt wasn't meant to be a stereotyped character, like some of the other characters, Finn is the dumb jock, Brittany is the dumb cheerleader, ect. Kurt's characteristics are supposedly based on what Cris Colfer was actually like in High School, so maybe what you're saying is that the gay stereotypes although negative and harmful in general, are true in some cases.

Fashionable Lunatic

6,600 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Clambake 200
  • Consumer 100

5,250 Points
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • Forum Regular 100
Just to be the bitter b***h who corrects everyone XD
You can't be to gay since either you're gay or you're not the best term for the thing you use gay for is actually feminine and in glee you actually get to see Kurt play football and he rocks at it!

By the way, what does fixing cars and playing football have to do with being non-gay?
Sure I, as in a gay man, am not good at american football, which I've never played since it's not that popular outside of America as far as I know, but that doesn't seem very stereotypical to me since there's plenty more of straight men who's bad at football than gay men since there's more of them.
And I don't really get why you have to fit in anywhere in the "types" of gays since I personally don't and that's one of the things I think glee is all about, not fitting in.
Sure I love to dance and sing but I also like to play video games and thinking about the mechanics of weapons and I like to jump between ultra feminine and ultra masculine 'cause that's who I am.

So in other words Kurt is freaking perfect the way he is but Puck is way hotter wink

8,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Generous 100

If he did like football, or fixing cars, that wouldn't make him as much of an outcast now would it? And that's exactly what the show is all about.

User Image
garra_eyes
I think some kids will view Kurt in a negative light, but I also don't think not having Kurt on the show is the solution.

Gay men like Kurt do exist. I know a few of them. They're wonderful guys. A lot of them also get a lot of flack from people for being who they are. Straight people tell them that they're too flamboyant and they need to tone it down, because they're acting a little too gay. Even other queer people ride them about it, saying, "You're giving other gay men a bad image. We're not women. We're men."

And that's a problem. No matter how flamboyant or feminine someone acts, if that person identifies as male, they are a man. Period. End of discussion. In the same way, no matter how masculine, if a person identifies as female, she is a woman. And that's something I really do appreciate Glee addressing at least to some small extent, both with Kurt and Bieste. (Kurt had lines that separated the ideas of femininity/masculinity and gender identity, whereas Bieste had lines that separated the ideas of femininity/masculinity and sexual orientation)

I think it's definitely important that people learn to view LGBTQ individuals outside of preconceived stereotypes, and the simple fact that there are other LGBTQ individuals on the show does just that. Dave, Blaine, Sebastian, Santana, Brittany, and Kurt are all very different people, and many of them really don't fit the stereotypes that go along with their sexual orientation. And that's awesome!

But the question still remains. Is having a character in the spotlight that does fit those stereotypes a bad thing? And I would say that it isn't. In fact, I'd go even further and say that it is a very good thing.

As I mentioned before, I have friends who are very stereotypically gay, and that's just who they are. It isn't something they could change, and it isn't something they want to change. (At least, not most of the time) It's also not something they should ever be made to feel bad about. Go back even a few years and look at gay men on television. You'll find that the vast majority of flamboyant gay men were simply used as jokes. Nobody took them seriously, because they didn't think those men should be taken seriously.

Enter Kurt. Kurt is not a joke on glee. He is a very real person with real troubles, real emotions, and every single facet of humanity that we see in the straight characters. Sometimes a lot more than we see in the straight characters. This is important. There may be some kids out there that view Kurt negatively, but there are also a TON of kids out there who view him in a positive light. There are a ton of kids that see someone they've never had the opportunity to see before, because a guy like Kurt has never been around before.

Flamboyant gay? Sure, we've seen that. But a flamboyant gay man who is taken seriously and who is granted the same respect as any of the other characters, no matter what their sexual orientation is, and no matter what their dreams and hobbies are. That's pretty incredible.

I guess I'll leave you with this quote from an interview Chris Colfer did a while back.

Insider: But before we get to either of those things, we have this week's episode -- called Yes/No -- which features New Directions recreating Summer Nights from Grease. Which side does Kurt sing on?
Chris: [laughs] He was with the girls -- by my request. Originally he was with the boys but I called Ryan and said, "What do the boys have that Kurt wants?!?" There's no way he'd be hanging with them. He'd be gabbing with the girls over sandwiches and mac & cheese. He completely agreed and I was put with the girls, which is great because I get to be Rizzo!

Insider: Kurt may be with the girls, but Blaine is with the boys. What do you make of the fact the writers have made him "one of the boys?"
Chris: I think they both just gravitate towards people they identify with. Blaine is gay but he's more of a guy than Kurt, who is a little more grand than that. I say Kurt is more grandeur than guy [laughs]. But I'm glad our show really shows that it takes all kind of gays to make the world go 'round: good gays, bad gays, manly gays, less than manly gays. There are all kinds of gays.

And something I'd like to add on in the context of this thread's subject, is that there are all kinds of gays and no one kind is more important than any other.

I wish I could tip this ten thousand times over. You took the words right out of my mouth.

Seeker

7,150 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Tycoon 200
YES.
Chris is not even that gay, but damn it Kurt. TO much. to much.

Millionaire

garra_eyes
DontFearTheCreeper
I read an article posing this question, and it made me wonder.

I'm a gay man. (I know I have a girl avatar, whatever.) And I wondered if he really was too gay.

How exactly would one be too gay? Do they like c**k just a little bit too much?

In all seriousness, I get what you're saying, but I find the phrase a bit... offensive? I mean, the implication is that enjoying traditionally feminine things, and therefore fitting the stereotype of the gay man, somehow affects the degree of one's sexuality. Which is, of course, false. As a gay man, I'm sure I don't need to tell you that.

Furthermore, when people use the phrase "too gay," they're generally using it in a negative way. This person is too gay, and that's bad. It's saying that being gay isn't bad, unless you're REALLY gay. Which is still saying it's bad to be gay...

Now, I'm not trying to say that YOU believe any of this stuff. It's just that the language you're using here (and I assume the language that the article was using as well) is... maybe not so positive?

Just a thought.

I do, however, understand what you're saying. Maybe a better way of phrasing it might be: Is Kurt too stereotypically gay?

(Which I'll answer at the end of this post)

DontFearTheCreeper

I mean, he fits almost every single stereotype. He's girly, dramatic, whatever. I would have liked to find out that he is actually really good at football, or he likes to fix cars in his dad's shop despite his girly demeanor.

I'm not sure if I'm missing what you're saying here. We DID find out that Kurt is really good at football and that he helps his dad in the shop a lot (whether he likes fixing cars or not, it's clear he's good at it).

So, yes. He fits the stereotype in many ways. However, there are also ways that he doesn't fit the stereotype, and I think those are important to consider as well.

DontFearTheCreeper
I'd like to mention that I am fully aware of the variety of characters who are gay. But Kurt is the one who gets the most spotlight, and I just wonder if kids will view him in a negative light.

I think some kids will view Kurt in a negative light, but I also don't think not having Kurt on the show is the solution.

Gay men like Kurt do exist. I know a few of them. They're wonderful guys. A lot of them also get a lot of flack from people for being who they are. Straight people tell them that they're too flamboyant and they need to tone it down, because they're acting a little too gay. Even other queer people ride them about it, saying, "You're giving other gay men a bad image. We're not women. We're men."

And that's a problem. No matter how flamboyant or feminine someone acts, if that person identifies as male, they are a man. Period. End of discussion. In the same way, no matter how masculine, if a person identifies as female, she is a woman. And that's something I really do appreciate Glee addressing at least to some small extent, both with Kurt and Bieste. (Kurt had lines that separated the ideas of femininity/masculinity and gender identity, whereas Bieste had lines that separated the ideas of femininity/masculinity and sexual orientation)

I think it's definitely important that people learn to view LGBTQ individuals outside of preconceived stereotypes, and the simple fact that there are other LGBTQ individuals on the show does just that. Dave, Blaine, Sebastian, Santana, Brittany, and Kurt are all very different people, and many of them really don't fit the stereotypes that go along with their sexual orientation. And that's awesome!

But the question still remains. Is having a character in the spotlight that does fit those stereotypes a bad thing? And I would say that it isn't. In fact, I'd go even further and say that it is a very good thing.

As I mentioned before, I have friends who are very stereotypically gay, and that's just who they are. It isn't something they could change, and it isn't something they want to change. (At least, not most of the time) It's also not something they should ever be made to feel bad about. Go back even a few years and look at gay men on television. You'll find that the vast majority of flamboyant gay men were simply used as jokes. Nobody took them seriously, because they didn't think those men should be taken seriously.

Enter Kurt. Kurt is not a joke on glee. He is a very real person with real troubles, real emotions, and every single facet of humanity that we see in the straight characters. Sometimes a lot more than we see in the straight characters. This is important. There may be some kids out there that view Kurt negatively, but there are also a TON of kids out there who view him in a positive light. There are a ton of kids that see someone they've never had the opportunity to see before, because a guy like Kurt has never been around before.

Flamboyant gay? Sure, we've seen that. But a flamboyant gay man who is taken seriously and who is granted the same respect as any of the other characters, no matter what their sexual orientation is, and no matter what their dreams and hobbies are. That's pretty incredible.

I guess I'll leave you with this quote from an interview Chris Colfer did a while back.

Insider: But before we get to either of those things, we have this week's episode -- called Yes/No -- which features New Directions recreating Summer Nights from Grease. Which side does Kurt sing on?
Chris: [laughs] He was with the girls -- by my request. Originally he was with the boys but I called Ryan and said, "What do the boys have that Kurt wants?!?" There's no way he'd be hanging with them. He'd be gabbing with the girls over sandwiches and mac & cheese. He completely agreed and I was put with the girls, which is great because I get to be Rizzo!

Insider: Kurt may be with the girls, but Blaine is with the boys. What do you make of the fact the writers have made him "one of the boys?"
Chris: I think they both just gravitate towards people they identify with. Blaine is gay but he's more of a guy than Kurt, who is a little more grand than that. I say Kurt is more grandeur than guy [laughs]. But I'm glad our show really shows that it takes all kind of gays to make the world go 'round: good gays, bad gays, manly gays, less than manly gays. There are all kinds of gays.

And something I'd like to add on in the context of this thread's subject, is that there are all kinds of gays and no one kind is more important than any other.

I WOULD LIKE TO APPLAUD YOU IN EVERY WAY
I'M ON MY KNEES BOWING TO YOU JUST GOD BLESS OKAY

Millionaire

wtf does 'too gay' even mean?
lol i see no problem with flamboyancy.
it's how some people are. 'too gay' or not, you're still gay.
people who are saying kurt's 'too gay' and how you wish he wasn't so 'girly', it's who he is.
there are plenty of other gays on the goddamn show who aren't flamboyant.
so idk about you guys but lol for those of you who said he's 'too gay' and wish he wasn't,
you pretty much just admitted that it's wrong for someone to be who they are.

Infamous's Wife

Rainbow Hero

I think Kurt's character is over the top just like most of the other characters are over the top. Rachel's pretty exaggerated most of the time, as are Brittany, Santana, Sue, Puck, Emma, Finn, Bieste... etc. Part of the humor of the show comes from the way these exaggerations all play out together. Glee has a lot of stereotypes that are exaggerated for comic effect--and at times, more evolved/human sides come out. I think that's part of what makes the show fun to watch.

Chatty Lunatic

10,475 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Streaker 200
  • Loiterer 100
Aphrodisiaque
Sir_Tez08
kurt is gay played by a guy thats gay inb real life wink arrow rolleyes biggrin xp

Meaning? Actors play a character, not themself. Don't think any gay actor has to play a gay character, a perfect example is Patrick Niel Harris.

The guy that plays Blaine isn't gay
She-who-loves-hyphens
The weird, and I guess sad thing is, that Kurt wasn't meant to be a stereotyped character, like some of the other characters, Finn is the dumb jock, Brittany is the dumb cheerleader, ect. Kurt's characteristics are supposedly based on what Cris Colfer was actually like in High School, so maybe what you're saying is that the gay stereotypes although negative and harmful in general, are true in some cases.

Kurt is actually based a lot more on what Ryan Murphy was like in high school than what Chris was like (read more on that). In fact, if you ever listen to Chris talk about his high school experience, he was very very very little like Kurt.

A few examples:
-Chris was not into fashion at all. (he didn't even know who Marc Jacobs was before the pilot of glee) Obviously, Kurt is very into fashion.
-Chris was the president (and if I recall correctly, the sole member) of the writing club at his school. From what we have seen, Kurt doesn't have any interest in writing, outside of one comment about writing a musical over the summer.
-Chis was not out in high school (Chris wasn't even out when he started working on glee). Obviously, Kurt is out.
-Chris is very into all sorts of geeky things that Kurt most definitely does not share an appreciation for. (examples: Harry Potter, Star Wars, TMNT, sea monkeys, etc.)

Or, to put in Chris's own words:
"I wish I could be more like Kurt, I wish I could walk into a room with a superior attitude to everyone around me. He’s superior, I’m sarcastic. He’s chic, I’m a geek. He’s fierce, I’m farce. He’s fashionable, I’m flammable."

So yes, Kurt is based on a real person who did possess a lot of the stereotypes for gay men. But the person he was based on wasn't Chris. It was Ryan Murphy. A few events from Chris's life were put into Kurt's story (most notably, the Defying Gravity story), but certainly not any of Chris' personality.

8,150 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Prayer Circle 200
I love kurt and NO he is not "too gay" he is perfect.

on the other hand I would so like to slap Alex (glee project) thank god he is only there for 2 episodes. I dont have any issue with gays, at all, Just the fact that he is kinda rude and an a**.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff