Welcome to Gaia! ::

Fashionable Shapeshifter

7,400 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
Some things that bother me:

-Some characters just aren't in a whole episode, without any reason.
-Santana and Brittany always wear their cheerleading uniforms, even on their senior ditch day! I don't think the Glee budget is that short that they can't buy more outfits or something.
-They seem to be searching for possible episode topics and things that can happen in the show, and those things are only problems or whatever in one episode.

Mega Friend

ll Nebur ll
Robotic_glitterberry
Oh, I see now.
You do have valid points. (:

Thank you for not be one of those people that hates on me for actually bringing up those valid points c:
Robotic_glitterberry

Two) I kind of feel that way too, but I also feel like it's a little too much. I mean, does Ohio really have that many homosexuals? Yes, it is fiction but it still is just a little weird. The fact that they made Karofsky gay too way just odd to me. I know that they say the bullies are usually just like their victims but it was just a little...I don't know, cliche? Idk, frustrating, maybe.

Is it unrealistic to have four whole LGBT kids in Lima Ohio?
How small do you think Ohio is?
Or maybe I should be asking, how few LGBT individuals do you think there are in the world? Estimates for the ratio of gay to straight people in the US come in at between 5 and 10 percent of the population. Now, looking at class size and the general size of the school, my guess would be that McKinley is about the size of my high school, if not bigger. I had a graduating class of about 400 students.

So, let's assume that each graduating class at McKinley is between 300 and 500 students (A wide enough range that I think we can all accept). We know that Artie and Tina were Freshmen in season 1, meaning that McKinley holds freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Looking at our estimations of class size, that makes for a total number of students between 1,200 and 2,000.

If 10% of the students at this school are gay, as statistics would indicate would be a pretty safe bet, then between 120 and 200 students at this school would probably be gay. (With an average of 30-50 in each class standing)

If only 5% of the students at this school are gay, that gives us 60-100 gay students at McKinley (15-25 in each class standing)

Is it really that unbelievable that there are 4 gay students (3 seniors, 1 junior) at this school? Or that those gay students living in a conservative environment have apparently gravitated towards a school club that celebrates being different instead of reprimanding them for it?

Mega Friend

garra_eyes
Robotic_glitterberry

Two) I kind of feel that way too, but I also feel like it's a little too much. I mean, does Ohio really have that many homosexuals? Yes, it is fiction but it still is just a little weird. The fact that they made Karofsky gay too way just odd to me. I know that they say the bullies are usually just like their victims but it was just a little...I don't know, cliche? Idk, frustrating, maybe.

Is it unrealistic to have four whole LGBT kids in Lima Ohio?
How small do you think Ohio is?
Or maybe I should be asking, how few LGBT individuals do you think there are in the world? Estimates for the ratio of gay to straight people in the US come in at between 5 and 10 percent of the population. Now, looking at class size and the general size of the school, my guess would be that McKinley is about the size of my high school, if not bigger. I had a graduating class of about 400 students.

So, let's assume that each graduating class at McKinley is between 300 and 500 students (A wide enough range that I think we can all accept). We know that Artie and Tina were Freshmen in season 1, meaning that McKinley holds freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Looking at our estimations of class size, that makes for a total number of students between 1,200 and 2,000.

If 10% of the students at this school are gay, as statistics would indicate would be a pretty safe bet, then between 120 and 200 students at this school would probably be gay. (With an average of 30-50 in each class standing)

If only 5% of the students at this school are gay, that gives us 60-100 gay students at McKinley (15-25 in each class standing)

Is it really that unbelievable that there are 4 gay students (3 seniors, 1 junior) at this school? Or that those gay students living in a conservative environment have apparently gravitated towards a school club that celebrates being different instead of reprimanding them for it?

Okay, I'm not necessarily frustrated about there being 4 gay kids. It's frustrating how they focus just on those four. Blaine, Kurt, Brittany, Santana... Blaine, Kurt, Brittany, Santana... >.< Over and over. Sorry but I just wish the characters were a little more diverse, then maybe the fact that the homosexual is so over the top when it's just 4.

Mega Friend

Jakes Forever
heart

heart ?
Robotic_glitterberry

Okay, I'm not necessarily frustrated about there being 4 gay kids. It's frustrating how they focus just on those four. Blaine, Kurt, Brittany, Santana... Blaine, Kurt, Brittany, Santana... >.< Over and over. Sorry but I just wish the characters were a little more diverse, then maybe the fact that the homosexual is so over the top when it's just 4.

But... how much focus is really on those characters?

Mercedes has gotten a lot of focus this season. Artie got a decent amount last season. Quinn had a lot of focus in seasons 1 and 2, as well as the beginning of season 3. Finn and Rachel have had a lot more focus this season than they did in season 2, and they had a lot of focus in season 1. Will has had a decent amount of focus with Emma this season, and has had more than that in seasons past. Joe, Rory, and Sam have all had their moments in the sun.

Mercedes and Santana have had about equal amounts of story lines this season.

Brittany got... what? One episode of screen time? She's about on par with Tina this season.

Blaine and Kurt have both gotten more screen time this season, but where they only get one or two special episodes to shine in, consider Finchel, who is everywhere.

Finn and Rachel have both had incredibly strong presences in any episodes that focus on the queer characters (TFT, Heart, IKAG, OMW, BB, IAU, etc.), in addition to their strong presences in every other episode as well.

I don't think they're spending an inordinate amount of time on their queer characters. And even if they were... why would that be a bad thing? Does the fact that they're gay make it impossible to relate to them? Impossible to feel their triumphs and their sorrows? Are their stories less quality because the characters are gay? I just don't understand what the problem is, I guess.

Mega Friend

garra_eyes
Robotic_glitterberry

But... how much focus is really on those characters?

Mercedes has gotten a lot of focus this season. Artie got a decent amount last season. Quinn had a lot of focus in seasons 1 and 2, as well as the beginning of season 3. Finn and Rachel have had a lot more focus this season than they did in season 2, and they had a lot of focus in season 1. Will has had a decent amount of focus with Emma this season, and has had more than that in seasons past. Joe, Rory, and Sam have all had their moments in the sun.

Mercedes and Santana have had about equal amounts of story lines this season.

Brittany got... what? One episode of screen time? She's about on par with Tina this season.

Blaine and Kurt have both gotten more screen time this season, but where they only get one or two special episodes to shine in, consider Finchel, who is everywhere.

Finn and Rachel have both had incredibly strong presences in any episodes that focus on the queer characters (TFT, Heart, IKAG, OMW, BB, IAU, etc.), in addition to their strong presences in every other episode as well.

I don't think they're spending an inordinate amount of time on their queer characters. And even if they were... why would that be a bad thing? Does the fact that they're gay make it impossible to relate to them? Impossible to feel their triumphs and their sorrows? Are their stories less quality because the characters are gay? I just don't understand what the problem is, I guess.

AND THAT'S THE THING! Too many charaacters, they're all 2-D and it's frustrating, I feel like I can't connect with them at all, especially the queer characters.
Why? Because it's not some fairy tail with a happy ending now? Glee is getting real. I like watching it a lot more now because I can relate to it. I'm glad that they're inspiring teens to get help when they have suicidal thoughts, they're showing to reach out for help when things go awry, they're showing that it's okay to be who you really are. Ryan Murphy is a smart human being because he is pushing the limits for TV. Not a lot of other TV shows show this kind of stuff because they're scared but thats why I like Glee is because it reaches out to teens because so many teens nowadays can relate to it.

Mega Friend

Hi Im Kristen
Why? Because it's not some fairy tail with a happy ending now? Glee is getting real. I like watching it a lot more now because I can relate to it. I'm glad that they're inspiring teens to get help when they have suicidal thoughts, they're showing to reach out for help when things go awry, they're showing that it's okay to be who you really are. Ryan Murphy is a smart human being because he is pushing the limits for TV. Not a lot of other TV shows show this kind of stuff because they're scared but thats why I like Glee is because it reaches out to teens because so many teens nowadays can relate to it.

Jeez, peeople, read my other posts and you'll see why.
Robotic_glitterberry
AND THAT'S THE THING! Too many charaacters, they're all 2-D and it's frustrating, I feel like I can't connect with them at all, especially the queer characters.

Well, first off, I do have to agree that Glee is not that great at telling stories with as large of a cast as they have. There really is a lot left to be desired there. However, having many characters doesn't necessarily mean that those characters can't all be interesting, relatable, and fully fleshed out. (Take Game of Thrones for example.) Where Glee's problem comes in, however, is that they try to focus on their core characters (Finn and Rachel) while simultaneously trying to develop their other characters. Unfortunately, there's not enough time to do both, which leaves the audience having to fill in quite a few blanks.

However, that's not what you were complaining about. You were complaining specifically about the queer characters, so let's not get too side tracked from that point.

You say that you feel like you can't connect with the queer characters, but that doesn't necessarily make them 2-D characters. In fact, the queer characters have been some of the most 3-D characters that we've seen on the show. (Santana and Kurt especially. Blaine has a lot of promise and they've started fleshing out his character a few times, but Glee has failed to completely follow through with a lot of it.)

People throw around the words 2-D and 3-D characters, but there's not really a concrete definition for those terms, so they don't mean much. However, Santana and Kurt have both had some good backstory. They've both had a lot of struggles and have changed significantly over the course of their stories. They both have faults. They both have quirks. They both have drive. (Blaine has all of those things as well, though he has not had as much time spent developing those characteristics as Santana and Kurt. Brittany has faults and quirks, but not much else, and I would agree that she is more of a flat character used primarily for comedic relief.) What more do you demand from your 3-D characters? And does anyone actually measure up?

Not everyone is going to be able to relate to every character, but that doesn't make that person a bad character. For example, I can't relate to Puck, Quinn, Mercedes, Finn, Sue, or Artie 99.9% of the time. Does that mean those characters are flat? No. It just means that I haven't been through that kind of stuff. On the other hand, I relate very strongly to Blaine, Mike, and sometimes Rachel.

It just seems like you're defining 3-D character as someone you like and 2-D character as someone you don't. I could be wrong though. If you'd like to tell me what you mean with those terms, that would change things.

There's nothing wrong with you not being able to relate to certain characters, but does that also mean you can't empathize with them or enjoy their stories? (If the answer is no, that's fine. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from here.)

Mega Friend

garra_eyes
Robotic_glitterberry

Well, first off, I do have to agree that Glee is not that great at telling stories with as large of a cast as they have. There really is a lot left to be desired there. However, having many characters doesn't necessarily mean that those characters can't all be interesting, relatable, and fully fleshed out. (Take Game of Thrones for example.) Where Glee's problem comes in, however, is that they try to focus on their core characters (Finn and Rachel) while simultaneously trying to develop their other characters. Unfortunately, there's not enough time to do both, which leaves the audience having to fill in quite a few blanks.

However, that's not what you were complaining about. You were complaining specifically about the queer characters, so let's not get too side tracked from that point.

You say that you feel like you can't connect with the queer characters, but that doesn't necessarily make them 2-D characters. In fact, the queer characters have been some of the most 3-D characters that we've seen on the show. (Santana and Kurt especially. Blaine has a lot of promise and they've started fleshing out his character a few times, but Glee has failed to completely follow through with a lot of it.)

People throw around the words 2-D and 3-D characters, but there's not really a concrete definition for those terms, so they don't mean much. However, Santana and Kurt have both had some good backstory. They've both had a lot of struggles and have changed significantly over the course of their stories. They both have faults. They both have quirks. They both have drive. (Blaine has all of those things as well, though he has not had as much time spent developing those characteristics as Santana and Kurt. Brittany has faults and quirks, but not much else, and I would agree that she is more of a flat character used primarily for comedic relief.) What more do you demand from your 3-D characters? And does anyone actually measure up?

Not everyone is going to be able to relate to every character, but that doesn't make that person a bad character. For example, I can't relate to Puck, Quinn, Mercedes, Finn, Sue, or Artie 99.9% of the time. Does that mean those characters are flat? No. It just means that I haven't been through that kind of stuff. On the other hand, I relate very strongly to Blaine, Mike, and sometimes Rachel.

It just seems like you're defining 3-D character as someone you like and 2-D character as someone you don't. I could be wrong though. If you'd like to tell me what you mean with those terms, that would change things.

There's nothing wrong with you not being able to relate to certain characters, but does that also mean you can't empathize with them or enjoy their stories? (If the answer is no, that's fine. I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from here.)

Okay, I mean by 2-D--and take into consideration that I was never a hard core fan so maybe I'm all wrong--that I know nothing about their pasts, the characters I feel like I sorta know are Finn and Kurt--I don't relate but I feel like I kinda get where they come from.

In reality I actually relate to none of those characters so if by 2-D I meant non-relateable then every character would be extremely 2-D. razz

I'm just gonna agree with you coz I am tired of typing and thinking about this

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces