Welcome to Gaia! ::

The almighty question of today: Who might we offend? Offend. I hate that word. Nobody ever really gets "offended", they just find something ultimately trivial that they can complain about - hence, everyone uses it nowadays. It's even plaguing Christmas - or should I say, "The Holidays".

Remember the time when you could say "Merry Christmas" as openly as you wanted to, and your Jewish friend could say "Happy Hanukkah" in reply, and everything would be nice and pleasant? I do. Where did that go? Somewhere along the line, someone who wasn't Christian decided that they were "offended" by the phrase, "Merry Christmas". Forget the "Christmas" part, acknowledge the "Merry" - Nobody preached to them, nobody meant any harm by saying it. It's a friendly greeting. They were offended on their own account.

I've heard arguments regarding "freedom", "America", and "seperation of religion and government". Doesn't that mean I can easily argue back that, if the Christmas spirit were to be squandered, it would affect MY freedom as a Catholic? Freedom doesn't mean minorities, people - it means everyone, INCLUDING Christians, thus giving Christians the FREEDOM to say Merry Christmas, Jews the FREEDOM to say Happy Hanukkah, and whatever else there is out there. Live and let live.

Furthermore, why does everyone care all of a sudden, when they didn't 10 years ago? I daresay they're just taking advantage of the frivolousness and corruption plaguing today's society.

The holidays were always supposed to be a time of peace and tolerance, a time where everyone, no matter what religion, can stop worrying about this nonsense, spend time with friends and family, hold hands and shut up about all this bullshit - yet now is the time when it's most abundant. The "most wonderful time of the year" has turned into a topsy-turvy, ultimately absurd whirlpool of complications, and just a general mess. Is nothing sacred? Apparently not.

Merry Christmas, everyone. Suck it up. We're not changing the "menorah" into the "politically correct candle holder".

-by Alsatian.
c'mon people, it took a long time to retype this ._.;;;
"it means everyone, INCLUDING Christians."

But saying Merry Chrisstmas doesn't include all other religions. rolleyes

But I guess some person just got tired of all the christmas specials, teachers and random people saying "Merry Christmas!" when they don't even celebrate it.
I don't mind saying "Happy Holdiays" over "Merry Christmas"
I think Happy Holidays sounds better.
This post has made the most sense out of any general discussion topic that I've read today. I've never heard it put that way, so, good job. 3nodding
RootBeerz
"it means everyone, INCLUDING Christians."

But saying Merry Chrisstmas doesn't include all other religions. rolleyes

But I guess some person just got tired of all the christmas specials, teachers and random people saying "Merry Christmas!" when they don't even celebrate it.
I don't mind saying "Happy Holdiays" over "Merry Christmas"
I think Happy Holidays sounds better.
Who cares about including all religions? Or, for sake of phrasing it better, why do people care now when they didn't have a problem before? Is it that hard to be tolerant? People in general have always said "merry christmas", why stop? If anyone is seriously getting upset because of it, they're just whiny assholes...
Congratulations for typing that up. But really what do you think to accomplish by doing it? Any one with some sorta of intelligence knows this malarkey already.
Damn them libs.
Christmas, not Hannukah (sorry if I spelled that wrong) nor Kwanza, is the official holiday of the United States.

Should we not acknowledge the fourth of July too, in case it offends the British-Americans?
rolleyes
UnD3S!rED
Congratulations for typing that up. But really what do you think to accomplish by doing it? Any one with some sorta of intelligence knows this malarkey already.
assuming the majority of people on Gaia are intelligent. however, anyone who is to assume that evidently falls into the "unintelligent" category.
UnD3S!rED

i completely agree..
and UnD3S!rED
why even type your responses to peoples posts up? we all know you are just going to critisize whoever you can in doing so..
Meh, people are morons.

People arguing for either one of those are dumb. People who like Happy Holidays should recognize that people who celebrate Christmas want to say Merry Christmas, and accept that it's not really that big of a deal. People who like Merry Christmas should recognize that some people take offense to that, and would rather hear Happy Holidays, but it's still not really that big of a deal. Either way, they should just accept whatever greeting they hear, because it's near-impossible for someone to guage what someone will be offended by simply by looking at them.

Besides, if you freak out just because someone said "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas", well, then you're a d**k.

Chloride's Husband

Beloved Elder

I was watching The 700 Club because I'm awesome and they had this whole story about people boycotting stores that say "Happy Holidays" because it takes the Christ out of Christmas.
They were like "Forget the Jews, What did they ever do for anyone?"
Alsatian
UnD3S!rED
assuming the majority of people on Gaia are intelligent. however, anyone who is to assume that evidently falls into the "unintelligent" category.
There are smart gaians they just act ignorant. I'd like to add this is a repeat topic be more creative next time.
UnD3S!rED
Alsatian
UnD3S!rED
There are smart gaians they just act ignorant. I'd like to add this is a repeat topic be more creative next time.
Wow, you're an a*****e.

Aren't there slightly more flameworthy topics in the chatterbox that you can preoccupy yourself with?
Blah. I don't know why Christmas upsets non-Christians so much, anyway; it's been extremely secularized and much of the traditions surrounding it are more pagan than Christian. Hell, the date was chosen because it falls near the winter solstice, and not because it actually has anything to do with when Christ was born.

Of course, I'm saying this as a pagan. whee But, meh.

I wish the people who get offended by stupid s**t like this would figure out that they alone cause their alleged misery. If they weren't so busy finding reasons to be offended and angry, they'd see that their lives don't suck as much as they think they do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff