Welcome to Gaia! ::

Cute Sweetheart

Back in December, it was announced that, due to persistent threats to staff and spectators alike, the 2024 Nintendo Live event to have been held in Tokyo, Japan had been cancelled. While Nintendo confirmed that the tournaments scheduled for the event would be postponed, the fate of the scheduled Legend of Zelda live orchestral concert remained uncertain… that is until just a little over two weeks ago, when Nintendo revealed that we would still be getting the performance, but in a different way.

Last Friday saw the release of a special pre-recorded version of Nintendo Live 2024’s “The Legend of Zelda Orchestra Concert” on Nintendo’s official YouTube channels. Nearly 30 minutes in length, the concert features music from such titles in the franchise as Breath of the Wild, Tears of the Kingdom, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and more. While a lot of people like myself would’ve loved to experience this concert in person, it was still nice for the Big N to offer a lot of what Zelda fans were anticipating back in January.

What did you think of “The Legend of Zelda Orchestra Concert?” What was your favorite moment? Is there any arrangement from the series that you would’ve loved to see this orchestra play? Let us know in a comment below!

Cute Sweetheart

Anollinde
Brandon Lee and I would like to thank you for enjoying OUR videogame we created for you all.
What?

Cute Sweetheart

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

With Valentine’s Day upon us, I have been pondering the love presented in my favorite video game series. Throughout the many games in the Legend of Zelda franchise, there are quite a few love stories showcased! There’s Yeto and Yeta in Twilight Princess, suggestions of something between Ravio and Princess Hilda when you read the cowardly hero’s diary in A Link Between Worlds, and the absolute icons that are Anju and Kafei from Majora’s Mask. I am here for all the love!

However, when it comes to my favorite love story in the Zelda series, I always have to come back to the love between the spirit of the Hero and the princess who holds the blood of the Goddess. Link and Princess Zelda have many different incarnations and relationships with one another, some platonic and others definitely romantic. However, I love that no matter what universe or timeline they find themselves in, they always manage to find each other. I love all versions of my favorite hero and princess, but my favorite iterations that depict a definite, genuine love between the two souls are definitely those of Skyward Sword and Tears of the Kingdom.

Skyward Sword is a classic Zelda adventure, but at its core, it really is the foundation of the love between these two beings who will forever be tied to each other. The love they have for each other in that game is so pure and genuine. Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom also showcase a beautiful relationship between the two characters that starts with duty, then enters into rival territory, then transforms into friendship, and then blossoms into something more. We get to see them support one another, make meaningful sacrifices for each other, keep each other safe, and help one another succeed in their goals in any way they can, whether it’s taking down the Calamity or Ganondorf, or simply helping one another rebuild Hyrule one step at a time.

I adore Link and Zelda, and their beautiful love story is one of my favorites of all time.

What about you? What love story is your favorite in the Zelda series? Do you see romantic implications between Link and Zelda in certain titles? Let us know in a comment below!

Cute Sweetheart

Anollinde
Kishin Rinku
Anollinde
Brandon Lee and I would like to thank you for enjoying OUR videogame we created for you all.
What?
Are you missing brain cells? Do you not understand what I've written? Are you unintelligent?
There's no need to be mean.

Cute Sweetheart

Nintendo released the pre-recorded Zelda Orchestra Concert on February 9, 2024 for music enthusiasts and Zelda fans around the world to enjoy. Nearly 30 minutes long, the concert featured a variety of songs from Zelda games old and new, such as main theme from Tears of the Kingdom, “Ballad of the Goddess,” “Zelda’s Lullaby,” “The Ballad of the Windfish,” and many more.

The concert was pre-recorded without an audience, and this was admittedly pretty noticeable at the beginning and in between songs when the orchestra would stand up. If you’ve been to a Zelda concert, let alone any video game concert, you’re expecting the applause! The silence was almost distracting. Luckily, though, the performances were fantastic. The screen behind the orchestra played scenes and gameplay from across the franchise and the recording seamlessly transitioned between showing the screen and the orchestra. The dynamic lighting on the stage was also pretty great, setting the tone and mood for each song effectively.

If there’s anything I took away from this performance, it made me appreciate how good the main theme song was for Breath of the Wild, and how much I enjoyed it more than Tears of the Kingdom’s music. Hearing them in the same performance reminded me of how gripping and moving Breath of the Wild‘s main theme is. Could it also be that I watched those trailers a million times in 2017 before the game came out? Maybe.

In terms of music selection, I think it was pretty good, but there were definitely some selections and omissions that felt like missteps. For example, the concert did not feature any melodies specifically from The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, or Majora’s Mask. Meanwhile, the concert included two songs from Breath of the Wild. Don’t get me wrong, they are both incredible songs! But with a series this expansive and so little time, I would have liked to see a greater selection of songs across the games. Especially if two Breath of the Wild songs means sacrificing an inclusion from The Wind Waker, for example.

Overall, though, this concert was beautiful to watch. I think it’s amazing that Nintendo took the time to record it and share it globally when it could have just as easily have been canceled entirely (and it would have been justified). What did you think of the Zelda Orchestra Concert? Let us know in a comment below!

Cute Sweetheart

Whether you live in a house, an apartment, or a dorm, there’s always something to fix, or to disagree with roommates about, or to always wish you could improve. Your home is where you can have some of the most profound late night conversations with old friends, and the most ground-breaking personal revelations when you’re alone. There’s so much to discover about yourself in the space where you live.

I think musician Aaron Grubb has captured the complexity and beauty of the home perfectly in his recent arrangement of Ocarina of Time‘s “House.” Grubb’s arrangement oozes atmosphere, with piano, strings, and vocals that make you feel a moody peacefulness. I’ve always thought “House” as it is heard in Ocarina of Time and other Zelda titles is a charmingly jaunty accompaniment to truly chaotic behavior, as Link enters folks’ homes unannounced to demand information, look for clues, and smash pottery. To me, Grubb’s cover of the theme takes this familiar tune and turns it into a theme for one’s own home, encouraging the listener to settle under the blankets, look out into the night sky, and reflect.

Grubb’s “House” arrangement is part of his upcoming album Legend of Zelda Collection, Vol. 4, and he says the piece is one of his favorites so far. “I envisioned it as Link sleeping and dreaming in one of the houses he so casually walks into in Ocarina of Time,” Grubb said. Aaron Grubb is a musician and photographer from Washington State, and has been creating music non-stop since 2020. His most popular arrangements are video game covers, many of which appear on his Legend of Zelda Collection albums Vol. 1, Vol. 2, and Vol. 3. Grubb’s other albums you can check out include A Rainy Day in Hyrule and VGM Cover Collection, Vol. 1.

Grubb’s vision and inspiration for the arrangement is reflected beautifully by artist Kay, who runs an Instagram and Etsy shop under the name Moonglow and Starshine Designs. Link seems so cozy under the glow of both Navi’s cool blue light and the warmth of the windowside candle, with not a care for whose bed he might be sleeping in. It even seems like our hero and the Cucco roosting in the corner are on good terms (for now)!

If you’d like to see more music and updates on Legend of Zelda Collection, Vol. 4 from Aaron Grubb, you can follow him on YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music, and BandCamp. Like what you’ve heard? You can also help the artist keep making amazing Zelda covers by supporting him on Patreon, Buy Me a Coffee, or Ko-Fi.

What did you think of Aaron Grubb’s “House” cover? What did it make you think of? Let us know down in a comment below!

Cute Sweetheart

First appearing in Breath of the Wild, the Champion’s Tunic was a distinct move away from Link’s traditional green outfits seen in all prior games.

In the book Creating a Champion, Zelda Series Producer Eiji Aonuma said, “The iconic green tunic and hat had become expected, so we wanted to mix things up and update his look. Interestingly though, nobody on the team said, ‘Let’s make him blue!’ It just organically happened that way.” After some early sketches, blue became the team’s final choice, as it provided contrast against the game’s landscape.

Many longstanding Zelda fans see the move to blue as too far a step away from the series’ roots and hope for a return to the “iconic” green tunic of the past. Nintendo even tried to address this criticism with artwork created for Weekly Famitsu (March 16th, 2017):

Illustrator Takumi Wada stated that this art was designed to show “a sense of inheritance from past to present.”

To me, the Champion’s Tunic represents Link’s growing maturity, and I would mind if this were to be the new image of Link going forward. Given that Link has graduated from the Knight’s Academy, earned the respect of the Royal Family, and taken the prestigious position of Princess Zelda’s personal Knight, there needs to be a visual representation of his growth and stature.

What do you think? Should the tunic have remained green? Or is blue the new green? Let us know in a comment below!

Cute Sweetheart

Beedle, Tingle, Dampe, Ganondorf, Zelda, Link. All of these names are ones that we’ve heard time and time again for years. Different characters who have solidified their legacy in the Zelda franchise for generations to come. While it is kind of odd that characters make returns in a franchise with entries that span thousands of years, it is fun to see a familiar face from the distant past make a return. I was absolutely ecstatic to find that Beedle was the main shopkeep in Breath of the Wild, as he was one of my favorite characters from The Wind Waker. His signature voice lines make interacting with him so fun!

With so many games filled with such colorful characters, and a knack for bringing back faces from the past, it’s fun to imagine who might show up in the next title. I really enjoy mentions of old characters, like the names of different locations in ruins of Breath of the Wild calling back to the names of characters from games past, or even the stained glass murals of Ocarina of Time’s seven sages in the Master Sword Chamber of The Wind Waker. However, it would be great to see and hear from these characters again. Personally, I would love to see some kind of direct reference to the original sages from Ocarina in some sort of flashback. I would also love to see a character like the Mailman from Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess make some kind of return in a later entry.

But what do you think? What character deserves another chance in the spotlight in later entries? Let us know in a comment below!

Cute Sweetheart

Whether you’re heading back to school, returning to work, or just missing December’s holiday cheer, the start of a new year can be a stressful time. For that reason, it’s always important to unwind and find a sense of calmness. For many, that pursuit often takes the form of listening to music. Musician Lucas Cooper recently released this bundle of lo-fi Zelda remixes “to study or relax to,” celebrating the third anniversary of his first album, A Storm of Songs. A collaboration with 11 different lo-fi artists to whom Cooper sent his original piano arrangements, this new album consists of 11 remixes.

These are the collaborating artists, listed in their order of appearance on the album:

Alter Loy on “Title Theme (From Ocarina of Time)”
WLHR on “Great Fairy Fountain (From Ocarina of Time)”
Jembei on “Song of Healing (From Majora’s Mask)”
Mellow Yoyo on “Kakariko Village (From Ocarina of Time)”
PalKid on “Richard’s Villa (From Link’s Awakening)”
GlitchxCity on “Inside the Houses (From Link’s Awakening)”
Tanoshi on “The Ghost’s House (From Link’s Awakening)”
DarkNuck on “Cave (From Breath of the Wild)”
Hotline Sehwani on “Grandma’s Theme (From The Wind Waker)”
Sing4Laughter on “Princess Zelda’s Rescue (From A Link to the Past)”
Xoic3s on “After The Storm ~ Ending (From The Legend of Zelda)”

Clocking in at nearly 25 minutes, this album is great for knocking out a stressful project, or settling down after a long day’s work. One of my favorite tracks is “Song of Healing,” featuring the talent of lo-fi creator Jembei. “Song of Healing” is a Zelda track that never fails to put me in a relaxed or focused state. The needle-talk, that is, the noise that sounds like static from a vinyl record is a welcome feature that elevates any lo-fi mix to the next level. What’s more, the low, distant voice chatter creates the perfect and unique atmosphere for reflecting and relaxing.

This album is available to listen to on YouTube, Spotify, and Apple Music. Each song is also available as a single from this YouTube playlist. If what you’ve heard here tickles your fancy, give Cooper’s, as well as the other artists other works a listen to as well. In addition to other Zelda covers like “Link is Awake” from Link’s Awakening, Cooper has also released music inspired by Pokémon and Octopath Traveler.

Have you listened to this lo-fi mix yet? Is Zelda lo-fi something that helps you focus or wind down? Let us know in s comment below!

Cute Sweetheart

I remember my first encounter in Breath of the Wild with the Guardian on the Great Plateau. I ran quickly! Then, after leaving the plateau and heading north across Hyrule Field, I saw the Guardian Walker.

How was I supposed to kill that with my club?

I eventually evaded it, and had the adrenaline-fuelled encounter of climbing the Central Tower avoiding all the nearby Guardians. Eventually, as I progressed through the game, it became fun to take out the Guardians and show them who was saving Hyrule (once all the Korok seeds were collected of course).

I think it was a combination of the spine-tingling music and imposing nature, along with the sheer quantity and type that actually made the Guardians a worthy foe. Tears of the Kingdom has the Gleeoks, Gloom Hands, Captain Constructs, Flux Constructs, Horroblins, Frox and the Boss Bokoblins. However, none of those had the same effect on me as the sound of the Guardian piano music.

But what do you think? Did the Guardians have worthy successors in Tears of the Kingdom? Let us know if you miss them in a comment below!

Cute Sweetheart

Looking at the boss fights in Zelda (in particular the final boss fights), I think they have become easier as the franchise has developed. In the more recent games on Switch, I’ve gone into the final battle armed with all my meals, an arsenal of weapons, maxed out armor, Fairies etc., and in all honesty, I hardly broke into a sweat.

Compare this with a few of the retro Legend of Zelda games I’ve recently played, where all there is for back-up is a very small number of trusty Bottles that contain either a Fairy or a potion. Even the potion wasn’t an item concocted from resources gathered, but something my hard-earned Rupees paid for, making healing resources both harder to obtain, with a very limited quantity at your disposal.

Take The Minish Cap, for example, the final sequence leading to the boss fight had rooms of guards, muggers, and Darknuts that needed clearing. This was followed by a tough three-phase battle against Vaati, which was much more challenging to overcome with just four Bottles and a few pots to keep you going. This sharply contrasts against the 60 meal slots available in Breath of the Wild or Tears of the Kingdom, plus Fairies in your inventory too. With this in mind, I definitely think the boss fights are easier in the newer games, partly because of all the armor, weapons and meals at your disposal.

What do you think? Have the final boss fights been as challenging for you in the more recent Zelda games? Would you like a tougher opponent or to have less resources at your disposal? Let us know your thoughts in a comment below!

Cute Sweetheart

If Tears of the Kingdom looms as large in your memory as it does mine, you probably remember the final cutscene of the Imprisoning War incredibly well. It’s a powerful scene, which is made all the more so thanks to the bombastic score accompanying it.

Pixel Partitas on YouTube has created a stripped-down arrangement of this crucial piece of music from the game. “The Imprisoning War” combines many of the game’s musical motifs into a single score. Between three instruments (piano, celesta, and English horn), Pixel Partitas’ work touches upon Ganondorf’s theme and The Legend of Zelda‘s main theme, as well as the Zonai and Rauru motifs from Tears of the Kingdom.

Gone from this arrangement are the soaring strings, horns, woodwinds, and organ that serve to stir players’ emotions in the game. Instead, what’s here is something that’s more raw but no less impactful. The piano is at turns airy and powerfully haunting. The celesta mingles with it, providing harmony and dissonance as needed. The English horn carries the melody that highlights Rauru’s grief, anger, and sacrifice. When the piano carries the series’ main theme, it’s as hopeful and triumphant as many of us would expect it to be.

If you enjoy this piece, you can follow Pixel Partitas on YouTube and Twitter. The sheet music for this arrangement, and other in Pixel Partitas videos, can be found on Musescore.

I thoroughly enjoy this particular arrangement. The instrumentation on display encapsulates so much with so little. Its simplicity shows the true power of the piece.

What do you think of Pixel Partitas’ “The Imprisoning War?” Do you enjoy the three-piece instrumentation as much? Share your thoughts in a comment below!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff