Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friendly Codger

Yup, its screen(s) got totally ruined, and I have no idea how I'm going to go about getting my save data and digitally downloaded games on to a 3DS or 3DS XL... I'm going to try to return it to Walmart in hope for them to exchange it, but the problem is... How am I supposed to transfer all of my data on to the new one when Walmsrt doesn't have an internet connection to do it? They're not going to let me keep both the broken 2DS and the new one...

I'm not saying the system is bad, but I really feel as if I should have just went for the more expensive and less flimsy 3DS...

So, how would you guys go about getting this problem sorted out? (Besides getting Nintendo to fix the 2DS because they're not very good with giving out free repairs for screens because they usually automatically jump towards "YOU WERE NEGLIGENT" )

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
yum_tea Yeah, I pretty much expected to see a thread like this sooner or later.

I don't know how you're going to get your save files off of your broken 2DS, but as far as downloaded games, if you bought them then they should be in your purchase history. Check Nintendo's online store policy to see if you can download games you purchased on one device onto a new device; I know Sony allowed me to re-download Skullgirls when I had to replace my PS3. Nintendo's store policy probably won't be much different. Like I said, though, check to be sure.

Friendly Codger

Sweet Peppermint Tea

I don't know how you're going to get your save files off of your broken 2DS, but as far as downloaded games, if you bought them then they should be in your purchase history. Check Nintendo's online store policy to see if you can download games you purchased on one device onto a new device; I know Sony allowed me to re-download Skullgirls when I had to replace my PS3. Nintendo's store policy probably won't be much different. Like I said, though, check to be sure.

I called Nintendo support and they talked me though what I should think about doing for the system, and they said that it's possible to transfer stuff, but you have to use Nintendo Network ID stuff to transfer stuff between systems. The difficult part about this is that it can take upwards of 40 minutes AND you have to have both systems connected to the internet. (I THINK both have to be connected to the internet)

It's still a very difficult task to go about doing, but I'm positive I found it somewhere on the Nintendo Support online, but I feel as if I don't know if I can find out where it was at... I'm going to have to throw that at Walmart's face if I am able to even do it at all. Plus, I don't want them screwing with my system and taking it with all of my downloads and information away for the new 2DS...

It's all about transferring licenses for games, and who knows what else. I hope this gets all figured out sooner or later.

The one thing that makes me mad about all of this is the fact that all of the save data gets stored on an SD card, and it's near impossible to move that over to another system. This is going to be rough...

Sorry for the huge block of text... It's just that this is my first system that I ever had a screen break like this... I guess one gets what they paid for.

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Sweet Peppermint Tea

User ImageWee yea ra enne ar sar. Wee yea ra enne ar dor
Wee yea ra enne ar ciel. Rrha yea ra ieeya en near

Nintendo's eShop works in a very different way from Sony or Microsoft's online store.

If you buy a game on Nintendo's eShop, it's tied to the system that bought it. No other system can re-download it.

Sony and Microsoft's store ties everything to your account, which you can log into from multiple systems.

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
Mir Teiwaz
Sweet Peppermint Tea

Nintendo's eShop works in a very different way from Sony or Microsoft's online store.

If you buy a game on Nintendo's eShop, it's tied to the system that bought it. No other system can re-download it.

Sony and Microsoft's store ties everything to your account, which you can log into from multiple systems.

yum_tea That...that just plain sucks. Systems break all the time, do they really expect people to keep paying for the same games over and over again?

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
Sweet Peppermint Tea
yum_tea That...that just plain sucks. Systems break all the time, do they really expect people to keep paying for the same games over and over again?

They were too damn worried about people pirating their games.

They've also been behind the times when it comes to doing things online ever since the GameCube.

Dapper Explorer

sounds gey

Spooky Girl

18,525 Points
  • Scary Sampling 50
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Haunting Echo 75
Mir Teiwaz
Sweet Peppermint Tea

They were too damn worried about people pirating their games.

They've also been behind the times when it comes to doing things online ever since the GameCube.

yum_tea Somehow, I highly doubt that pirates are the least bit daunted by this system Nintendo's come up with. It's just a hassle for legit customers.

I noticed. They really need to catch up if they expect to remain competitive in the industry. They can't coast by on handhelds forever, especially not now that Sony is getting their fingers into that particular pie. Online functionality is something that gamers just expect these days.

Familiar Friend

16,000 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
Mir Teiwaz
Sweet Peppermint Tea

Well, they are weird about "transferring games" but it is very possible to send a game to another system (it's actually a new download and it gets deleted from the original system, which means that the license is transferred, but that doesn't make it any easier compared to all of the other companies like Sony or Microsoft as you've already stated)

So, it's going to be a harrowing task to get that sorted out, but it's possible like I said...

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Sweet Peppermint Tea
Mir Teiwaz
Sweet Peppermint Tea

No, because you can transfer the games and licenses to a new console. In fact, they'll do it for you if you send in both consoles.

Only way you'd lose absolutely everything is if the thing dies in a fire or something, but even then I'm sure Nintendo can work something out as they managed to transfer all my stuff over from a 3DS that got fried in the rain that they deemed irreparable and replaced.

Familiar Friend

16,000 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
Raven Prime
Sweet Peppermint Tea
Mir Teiwaz
Sweet Peppermint Tea

No, because you can transfer the games and licenses to a new console. In fact, they'll do it for you if you send in both consoles.

Only way you'd lose absolutely everything is if the thing dies in a fire or something, but even then I'm sure Nintendo can work something out as they managed to transfer all my stuff over from a 3DS that got fried in the rain that they deemed irreparable and replaced.

Just because I was following this thread for a bit... What's the possibility of them transferring save data, and game downloads to a 3DS from a 2DS when you don't own a 3DS, and you just ask them to send it in for you? I heard if you aren't covered in a warranty you're going to pay around 70-90 (US) dollars for the 2DS screen. I feel like getting an entirely new system instead would be a good deal if they don't cover it.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

pong kiyo
Raven Prime
Sweet Peppermint Tea
Mir Teiwaz
Sweet Peppermint Tea

Just because I was following this thread for a bit... What's the possibility of them transferring save data, and game downloads to a 3DS from a 2DS when you don't own a 3DS, and you just ask them to send it in for you? I heard if you aren't covered in a warranty you're going to pay around 70-90 (US) dollars for the 2DS screen. I feel like getting an entirely new system instead would be a good deal if they don't cover it.
If the original console is broken and you're not still in warranty (or it's a type of damage not covered by warranty), then yes, you'll have to pay, which would be about that price range, because they won't just transfer it over without an attempt to repair it first.

If it can be repaired, they repair it and send it back. If it can't be repaired, they replace it with a completely new (as in not refurbished) console. In both cases, your licenses will be maintained and you'll get a whole extra year of warranty on the repaired/replaced unit.

In my case, I ended up buying a replacement 3DS XL and sending in the original unit for repair. They couldn't repair it, so they sent a replacement, which had all of my licenses and downloads and save data intact (except the ones saved on the console's memory, of course, which would be DSiware), which also, thankfully, included DLC like the DOA Dimensions costumes, which I'm glad for because you can't get them any more. Then I just transferred my data to the XL and now my wife has a 3DS, haha.

IMO, though, if you're not gagging for an upgrade (in my case, I wanted the XL anyways) and you're fine with the original unit, it'd be cheaper to send it for repairs than a replacement. Especially since you'd have to pay for the repair anyways if you wanted to transfer your DLed stuff, plus you get the refreshed warranty on the new system, so you'd be covered again.

Kawaii Noob

11,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Mark Twain 100
This is why you buy hard copies, kids

Familiar Friend

16,000 Points
  • Streaker 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Prayer Circle 200
Raven Prime
pong kiyo
Raven Prime
Sweet Peppermint Tea
Mir Teiwaz
Sweet Peppermint Tea

If the original console is broken and you're not still in warranty (or it's a type of damage not covered by warranty), then yes, you'll have to pay, which would be about that price range, because they won't just transfer it over without an attempt to repair it first.

If it can be repaired, they repair it and send it back. If it can't be repaired, they replace it with a completely new (as in not refurbished) console. In both cases, your licenses will be maintained and you'll get a whole extra year of warranty on the repaired/replaced unit.

In my case, I ended up buying a replacement 3DS XL and sending in the original unit for repair. They couldn't repair it, so they sent a replacement, which had all of my licenses and downloads and save data intact (except the ones saved on the console's memory, of course, which would be DSiware), which also, thankfully, included DLC like the DOA Dimensions costumes, which I'm glad for because you can't get them any more. Then I just transferred my data to the XL and now my wife has a 3DS, haha.

IMO, though, if you're not gagging for an upgrade (in my case, I wanted the XL anyways) and you're fine with the original unit, it'd be cheaper to send it for repairs than a replacement. Especially since you'd have to pay for the repair anyways if you wanted to transfer your DLed stuff, plus you get the refreshed warranty on the new system, so you'd be covered again.

That's a lot to take in, and I read it all, but bits and pieces of it kind of didn't really answer my question. I'm wondering if they won't cover something through warranty, and you want to keep your saves and downloads, but transfer it from a 2DS on to an actual 3DS, would they deny it if repairing it was an option. That was a severely undeveloped sentence. Wow.

I mean, the 2DS isn't a splendid system as I've heard, and I feel like people would rather upgrade to a better system if there isn't coverage because you'd get a better bang for your buck. Unless they'd try to charge 50 or so dollars trying to transfer save data and downloads. You'd think it shouldn't be a problem. I should try contacting support from Nintendo and check that out in the odd circumstance that should happen.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff