Welcome to Gaia! ::

Here's what i researched so far:
- Lack of western developers.
- Not for avid gamers, there are more crappy indie games for it.
- Doesn't seem like Sony is even interested in supporting the handheld device anymore
- Still overpriced accessories.
- 512mb RAM only
- Smartphones are stronger than this gaming device

Is it still a good investment?

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User ImageWeen shellan yorra accroad mea, sarla oz enne.
Titil yehah, presia yorr wis yehah, presia yanje.

Do you like JRPG's? If so, then it's a good option for you.

RUSHEDELIVERY's Husbando

Aged Fairy

12,950 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Battle: Level Up 200
I freakin' love my Vita.
I really don't understand this 'lack of western support' complaint. It's Sony they've never really been one for having a majority of western games on their systems. That's where Microsoft and the Xbox 360/ONE comes in. And if that's all you want Sony and their systems are most likely not for you.

The PS Vita is also just like it's predecessor the PSP, by the fact that the majority on the system always happened to be JRPG's or Japanese/niche games.

If you're an 'avid' JRPG/niche gamer then there are plenty of games on the PS Vita. Which it also happens to be a region-free system.

Also, the PS Vita is still getting support from Sony in the form of Freedom Wars, Oreshika and Gravity Rush 2. The PS Vita is still going to see over 150+ games (and they're not all indie games) on the system from different developers.

By the way, you could always get a smartphone/tablet that's stronger than the Vita. But then where would you be? Without all the games that are PS Vita exclusive and that also means all of it's JRPG/niche gaming goodness.

It's what they do with it that counts. Not how strong it is. If that's all you care about it then you might as well buy or stick to playing on a PC, if you don't already. In the end, It's your choice but it's a better system than what the technical specs are leading you to believe.

Unless you're one to go all-digital when it comes to your games, all you'll ever need is a 4GB or 8GB Memory Stick/Card. I have 17+ Vita (retail physical copies) and about 3 or 4 digital PSP games on my Vita via a 4GB Memory Card and it still has room for even more physical games.

Such a small amount of RAM. And yet, not a technical hiccup has ever been seen/experienced personally by me.

If you read through all this and it still interests you then get it!

Here's a list of PS Vita Japanese-esque/other games:

Quote:

Persona 4: Golden

Conception II: Children Of The Seven Stars

Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection

Sorcery Saga: Curse Of The Great Curry God

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment

Danganronpa

Mind Zero

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

Ragnarok Oddysey: ACE

Toukiden

Soul Sacrifice and Soul Sacrifice: DELTA (technically, both are the same but DELTA has more content and is digital-only in America.)

Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed

Demon Gaze

Deception IV

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited

Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention

Shinobido 2: The Revenge of Zen

Valhalla Knights: 3

Hyperdimension Neptunia PP

Zero's Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Tearaway

YS: Memories of Celceta

Danganronpa 2

One Piece: Ultimate World Red

Rayman: Origins and Legends

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1

Gambino Believer

41,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Cheerbringer 100
  • Happy Holidays 2k13! 100

Seems like a lot of your research is a bit wrong. As has already been mentioned, the Sony consoles tend to have more Japanese development-- it is a Japanese console, after all-- but it does have Western-developed games. The PSP was the same way, it didn't have a lot of Western-developed games, but it did have them, but it had some amazing JRPGs and other Japanese-developed games. So does the Vita.

When most people think of "Western development" they think of Call of Duty and Battlefield and games like that. No, you're not going to be finding those types of games on the Vita. Thank God.

Not for avid gamers? That's completely false. There are many games for the Vita that "avid gamers" will enjoy. But it depends on your idea of "avid gamer". I get the feeling that you're definition of an "avid gamer" is people who play lots of Call of Duty, Halo, Battlefield and other similar games? The Vita doesn't have many big-name games, that's true... Most of it's games are smaller ones, ones that aren't as well-known, a little more niche... And that's just fine with me. A game doesn't need to be one of those popular titles to be a great game, and the Vita has a number of great games. Almost all of my all-time favorite games are niche games that don't have a big following.

Sony has said multiple times that they're still supporting the Vita. There wont be as many big-name, high-budget games like Uncharted, but Sony still plans to release games for it. And they are still releasing games for it.

Overpriced accessories? Such as what? Memory cards are still a bit spendy, but the other accessories... What system doesn't have overprices accessories?

As for the smartphone thing... Saying smartphones are more powerful than the Vita is like saying that the PC is more powerful than a home console. Of course a smartphone will be more powerful, it has more functions and needs to do more than the Vita. The Vita is a gaming device, it doesn't need the power that a smartphone does.

Evader

Akaru Renuji

I know this is off topic, but how is the sword art game?
Dollwhore

I know this is off topic, but how is the sword art game?

No worries, it's a good game.

However, the developers still went with the "Engrish" translation from the Chinese copy. Which isn't horrible since you can still understand it but it makes trying to complete quests and find where you need to go a bit more tedious than it needs to be.

It's also another JRPG with a dating sim aspect with multiple girls that you can get with and also have in your party. You can even have some bromance time with your buddy Klein. The game was only released digitally in Europe and North America.

Evader

Akaru Renuji

Hmm I may just need to buy a vita to play sword art, because I love the anime.

Beloved Lunatic

8,175 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Brandisher 100
I use my vita for social media and to communicate with skype and other app things.

It seems to have a great fix for Anime games for sure* currently into dragons crown and demon gaze.
Otherwise; it's my second hand PS4 controller. Using 80% for Youtube on the side or if I need to look/ google something.

The battery is my only complaint on it.
Go on to the PSN store and you have an entire back catalogue of games to choose from. Also, Persona 4 Golden is a Vita exclusive and is tied for the best game I've ever played.
Gorath Tsu

When most people think of "Western development" they think of Call of Duty and Battlefield and games like that. No, you're not going to be finding those types of games on the Vita. Thank God.

To be fair, there is Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified, Resistance: Burning Skies and Killzone: Mercenary and Unit 13 on the PS Vita. Granted, there hasn't exactly been anymore titles of the "Western Support/Developement" on the PS Vita that most people always go to when they think of anything made in the West. Either way, that still doesn't take much away from my post or your post of what we both said and when it comes to it being more of a Japanese/niche gaming handheld than anything else.

Ursine Detective

9,300 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Unleash the Beast 100
User Image
Personally, I love my vita. In fact I'm playing it right now. But, I'm in the same boat as most of the other people here and I enjoy jRPG/niche games.
User Image

RUSHEDELIVERY's Husbando

Aged Fairy

12,950 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Battle: Level Up 200
PinkRaptor
I use my vita for social media and to communicate with skype and other app things.

It seems to have a great fix for Anime games for sure* currently into dragons crown and demon gaze.
Otherwise; it's my second hand PS4 controller. Using 80% for Youtube on the side or if I need to look/ google something.

The battery is my only complaint on it.

The new Vita models fix the battery issue!

Remote play on it is pretty nice.

Handsome Ace

21,200 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Brandisher 100
  • Kuro Gang 250
Akaru Renuji
Gorath Tsu

To be fair, there is Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified, Resistance: Burning Skies and Killzone: Mercenary on the PS Vita.

There's also Unit 13, which was pretty fun, in my opinion.
RaidouJack
User Image
Personally, I love my vita. In fact I'm playing it right now. But, I'm in the same boat as most of the other people here and I enjoy jRPG/niche games.
User Image
i assume no one listened to the guilty sony?
they mentioned that the vita isn't dead, it is just an indie console now.

so yeah no. it's dead.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces