Welcome to Gaia! ::

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
There are some points when you're playing a game in which you're allowed to fully customize your character, from their species to their gender, and it's just SO obvious that the programmers were thinking from the point of view of the male characters only. It's not a matter of blatant sex discrimination as it is them apparently forgetting that they gave you an option to be a girl. Sometimes this appears a minor little hiccup; in games where dialogue is recorded differently for the males and females, you may, once in a great while, find that the programmers forgot to add the female alternative, leaving you to be referred to as a "he." Other times, it's a little more blatant, with things such as all plot-relevant affection from other characters being from females. (It's not such a big deal if you're a lesbian, like moi, but statistically speaking, most women are straight.) Some (potentially spoiler-ridden) examples include Moira the hagraven in Skyrim, even if it was played for laughs. The Maid of Windemere in Kingdoms of Amalur will always refer to the character as her love, even if you're a woman. That one shopkeeper in Monster Hunter Tri pretty obviously has the hots for you regardless of gender, and will jokingly ask for a lock of your hair in exchange for items.

It doesn't usually seem so much intentional as it is just a matter of not thinking about things from the perspective of a female gamer, and I'm not angry, or anything (heck, like I said, as a lesbian, I'm quite content to have the girls after me wink ), but it's still rather interesting just how many games still cater to men as the default even when you're supposed to have the option to be either gender. Any other examples you can think of? Anything you guys want to add? I think it's worth discussing, anyway.

Lightbringer

While there's a strong possibility that, when making games with gender choice, male stuff just ends up being done first. It might be because the 'protagonist' is depicted as being a male in trailers (Skyrim and such), or just from the way peoples' minds work. It would be interesting to know what would happen if a game was made with gender choice available where the canon involved the protagonist to be a woman, and see if any little bugs and whatnot showed the tables being turned.
When you're building a game where your character can be either gender and there is tons of dialogue available, it's easy to overlook the small and inconsequential instances of gender reference, especially if the game in question is being designed with a specific protagonist gender in mind. Developers may also do it on purpose to save space, figuring that they can skate by with a misplaced pronoun in order to avoid the clutter of putting another line of dialogue in. Could also be that developers are making assumptions about their audience. We know that gamers are just as likely to be either male or female, but we can't pinpoint exactly who plays which games. For all Bethesda and the rest of us know, 90% of the persons who have played Skyrim could be men, or it could be an even 50-50.

And then of course, some of them just don't care at all because they're deadset on how they want the canon to go, like when you're playing as Sub-Zero in Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks and all the dialogue plays out like you're Liu Kang.

Enduring Regular

Gaming is still largely a male dominated hobby/industry.

There's no sexism or discrimination, it's simple economics. There's only so much money a game development company has so they focus the majority of their resources on trying to please young males (the largest proportion of most developers' audiences) and everything else is pushed to the side becoming an afterthought.
Ringoringa
Social JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial Justice

It's like I'm Tumblr.

Unbeatable Prophet

43,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Healer 50
  • Cosmic Healer 200
It's amazing the armor that's expected to protect females.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Well to be fair, a woman of her stature wouldn't handle full plate, so she may as well wear little and try to win with agility.

Demonic Fairy

13,625 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Tycoon 200
  • Jack-pot 100
Captain Murkham
Ringoringa
Social JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial JusticeSocial Justice

It's like I'm Tumblr.

Thank you for your mature contribution to the topic. I'm sure you and your friends can have a good laugh later about how witty you are. I shouldn't even have to point out that I even said I didn't care, and just thought it interesting.

Seriously, though, I'm not in the mood for this tonight.

Mega Phantom

Well it is apparent.
But it is also expected due to the fact that it would be annoying to re-do so much based on a gender option.
It is almost like.. a waste of memory on the game to re-custom everything..
Rather can't they just let things be neutral in the gender realm they always do lean it to the guy's favor.

PocketFoxo's Husbando

In Halo 4, the female Spartan Model just seems to be a Male Model that's width has been reduced. Through a glitch, you are able to see the Spartan models without their armor plating, and just the MJOLNIR's nanocompositie suit that is underneath the colored plating. When viewing this with a Female Model, it can been seen that the model has no discernible feminine features.

Some argue that the female Spartans' breasts were reduced during the augmentation procedures, however, two female Spartans obviously have breasts in the CG cutscenes of Halo 4. So, this just seems like 343 took a shortcut. Instead of making a new Female model that actually resembled the female form, they simply made the male model slightly thinner.
Ringoringa
There are some points when you're playing a game in which you're allowed to fully customize your character, from their species to their gender, and it's just SO obvious that the programmers were thinking from the point of view of the male characters only. It's not a matter of blatant sex discrimination as it is them apparently forgetting that they gave you an option to be a girl. Sometimes this appears a minor little hiccup; in games where dialogue is recorded differently for the males and females, you may, once in a great while, find that the programmers forgot to add the female alternative, leaving you to be referred to as a "he." Other times, it's a little more blatant, with things such as all plot-relevant affection from other characters being from females. (It's not such a big deal if you're a lesbian, like moi, but statistically speaking, most women are straight.) Some (potentially spoiler-ridden) examples include Moira the hagraven in Skyrim, even if it was played for laughs. The Maid of Windemere in Kingdoms of Amalur will always refer to the character as her love, even if you're a woman. That one shopkeeper in Monster Hunter Tri pretty obviously has the hots for you regardless of gender, and will jokingly ask for a lock of your hair in exchange for items.

It doesn't usually seem so much intentional as it is just a matter of not thinking about things from the perspective of a female gamer, and I'm not angry, or anything (heck, like I said, as a lesbian, I'm quite content to have the girls after me wink ), but it's still rather interesting just how many games still cater to men as the default even when you're supposed to have the option to be either gender. Any other examples you can think of? Anything you guys want to add? I think it's worth discussing, anyway.

Actually, Skyrim has some even more hilarious, behind the scenes examples of male defaulting. "Female" is actually a binary flag - either something is female, or it counts as male (due to being not-female.)

The only things that are female are:
-Female people (of the playable races)
-Female children (child versions of the humans)
-Female vampires (which are separate instances of the playable races)
-Female Draugr
-Deer

So the aforementioned Hagraven, along with Spriggan "Matriarch," Wisp"mother," the lithe Flame Atronach, and even supposedly genderless Dwarf Mechs, are all male.

In a probably unintentional case of girls being absolutely stronger than boys (leaving aside Braith's continual mugging of Lars Battleborn,) you can obtain a buff called the Agent of Dibella that gives you a 1.1x multiplier on your damage... against the opposite sex. So your little Breton girl or neko-chan will more damage against almost everything, except girl-type people.

(As a counter-balance, there is no female model for Dwarf Armour... but a female wearing male model Dwarf Armour actually looks awesome, since there's no obvious breast plate like the Steel Plate.)

Adventuring Cat

I was playing Phantasy Star Zero for DS and I made a female numan character. And I was referred to as a "he" by the girl you go on your first mission with. It's kind of annoying and it feels half assed in my opinion. Is it really that difficult to edit the text so that it reflects the fact that you have picked a female? Feels cheap considering that each race and gender has a separate class name anyway. They're all unique. Although there is a hilarious translation error in the first Phantasy Star game for Sega Master system where the governor refers to Noah as a "she". rofl

It led to some people believing that Noah was female. It doesn't help that he's very pretty. It wasn't fixed for the Phantasy Star collection released for GBA. I'm not sure about other versions.

So maybe I should just take it in stride and laugh about it. Although I seriously doubt it's a reference to the infamous translation error about Noah.

Questionable Phantom

13,900 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Elocutionist 200
I tend to prefer RPGs with pre-rendered characters, this being one of the reasons for that.

Idk, but I've rarely felt immersed in a storyline where you create a character, regardless of specified gender.

The only exceptions I can think of would be the Mass Effect and Dragon Quest Series - even then, I didn't relate to the main character much.

Mind you, I often, if not most of the time, opt to play as female characters.

A Admin and Moderator posting in the same thread? emotion_jawdrop

Dangerous Lunatic

DynaSuarez Wrecks
Well to be fair, a woman of her stature wouldn't handle full plate, so she may as well wear little and try to win with agility.
neutral
An out of shape person with dwarfism could move around in full plate.
She could wear full plate, half plate, a gambison, Lamellar, a brigandine, a hauberk, a cuirass. etc. etc.
Hell just throw a jack of plates on her, you could make that look pretty hot if you really had to.

There is no "Being fair" here, there's people who wanted a woman to wear a bikini made of metal and a woman willing to wear one.
We need to accept the twin facts that chainmail bikinis are sexy, and that that's literally all they are.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff