Welcome to Gaia! ::

Witty Elder

Someone who knows their stuff about Mass Effect.....

I've just started the series after all these years. I've beat the first game and am dismayed to find out that you can't continue tying up loose ends once you beat it... Seriously, they should give a hint if that's how it's going down!!! How was I supposed to know? I'm a completionist so this is eating me up. ALSO I WAS TRYING TO MAKE MALE SHEPARD LOVE KAIDEN BUT APPARENTLY YOU CAN'T DO THAT IN THE FIRST GAME?

Okay ANYWAYS, I'm aware that I can now import my game 1 character into Mass Effect 2, but I'm curious about why you can also restart the game with all your weapons and stats? What is the point of restarting the game with all your stuff? Another question: When you import a character into ME2, is it ideal to have it reach max level in the first game? In that case, I'm guessing the reason for restarting the first game is to finish getting to the top level then do the second game.

Please let me know. Basically - without spoilers - I want to know the best way to transition from game 1 to 2 to 3. Also if there is a way to put male Shepard and Kaiden together in the first game I'd love to know.

Poster

The "point" is to max level, if you haven't already, but it's primarily to allow you to tie up all those loose ends. They aren't as big of a deal as they're made out to be, though, so just start the second game and enjoy. The gameplay in the second and third games is far superior to the first. Have fun in the ME universe!

Also, if you're playing on PC you can download a save file with all the choices already made--including the minor side quests.

Edit: And yeah, Kaidan is a pan so it makes sense that he wouldn't go after Shep so soon in the first game. You can't romance him until the 3rd.
1) Kaiden can only be romanced by Female Shepard in Mass Effect 1. Liara by either gender, and Ashley by Male Shepard only. Kaiden is only ever romanceable in Mass Effect 3.

2.) That's why you make your "choices" carefully and limit the "consequences" that follow.

3.) Importing your save and your "Sherphard" from Mass Effect 1, 2 or 3 carries over whatever choices you had made. Which then impact the story of the games that come after the first game.

4.) "Due to massive gameplay redesign, your level will not transfer over to Mass Effect 2 and you will start out with basic abilities. However, the game will acknowledge if you were a level 60 character and if you were a Renegade or Paragon and adapt it in ways that map across to the new system. Also, the physical appearance and class of imported characters can be changed at the start of the game, if desired.

If a player has no Mass Effect save files, Mass Effect 2 will start with an introduction sequence which, in combination with interactive decisions made by the player, introduces new players to the storyline and establishes a “canon” backstory."

Witty Elder

WrathOfBong
The "point" is to max level, if you haven't already, but it's primarily to allow you to tie up all those loose ends. They aren't as big of a deal as they're made out to be, though, so just start the second game and enjoy. The gameplay in the second and third games is far superior to the first. Have fun in the ME universe!

Also, if you're playing on PC you can download a save file with all the choices already made--including the minor side quests.

Edit: And yeah, Kaidan is a pan so it makes sense that he wouldn't go after Shep so soon in the first game. You can't romance him until the 3rd.

Ugh, but they had so much sexual tension in the first game! I will just have to wait I guess..

So should I just start the second game without maxing out my character in the first game? I like to do ALL the quests but since I've already been screwed over I'd rather not do the whole first game again now just to finish that, if it isn't consequential to the second game (and if it doesn't affect my ability to romance Kaiden (cause that's very important to me)).

Witty Elder

Akaru Renuji
1) Kaiden can only be romanced by Female Shepard in Mass Effect 1. Liara by either gender, and Ashley by Male Shepard only. Kaiden is only ever romanceable in Mass Effect 3.

2.) That's why you make your "choices" carefully and limit the "consequences" that follow.

3.) Importing your save and your "Sherphard" from Mass Effect 1, 2 or 3 carries over whatever choices you had made. Which then impact the story of the games that come after the first game.

4.) "Due to massive gameplay redesign, your level will not transfer over to Mass Effect 2 and you will start out with basic abilities. However, the game will acknowledge if you were a level 60 character and if you were a Renegade or Paragon and adapt it in ways that map across to the new system. Also, the physical appearance and class of imported characters can be changed at the start of the game, if desired.

If a player has no Mass Effect save files, Mass Effect 2 will start with an introduction sequence which, in combination with interactive decisions made by the player, introduces new players to the storyline and establishes a “canon” backstory."

I guess what I need to know at this point is whether it would be ideal to replay the game and tie up all the loose ends. Would it be a bad idea to just take my character from ME 1 - that isn't max level and hasn't finished all the side quests - and start ME2 right away? I already have ME2 so if it's not a problem then I'd rather just get started on the next game.

Poster

Kumajii
WrathOfBong

Ugh, but they had so much sexual tension in the first game! I will just have to wait I guess..

So should I just start the second game without maxing out my character in the first game? I like to do ALL the quests but since I've already been screwed over I'd rather not do the whole first game again now just to finish that, if it isn't consequential to the second game (and if it doesn't affect my ability to romance Kaiden (cause that's very important to me)).

Like I said, I would just start the second game. The amount of time it's going to take you to complete the first entirely is not worth the minor starting bonuses and small nods in the story. Rest assured, Kaidan can still be boned regardless of what you do. Even having a romance in the second game will not change it. I played Fem Shep both times (Para and Rene) through the series because I think Jennifer Hale is a much better voice actor.

Witty Elder

WrathOfBong
Kumajii
WrathOfBong

Like I said, I would just start the second game. The amount of time it's going to take you to complete the first entirely is not worth the minor starting bonuses and small nods in the story. Rest assured, Kaidan can still be boned regardless of what you do. Even having a romance in the second game will not change it. I played Fem Shep both times (Para and Rene) through the series because I think Jennifer Hale is a much better voice actor.

LOL. Thanks for the answer!

I'm so annoyed.. I basically have to go online to find out so many important things, like the fact that pretty much everyone likes fem Shep better. I'll probably play a female if I ever totally restart the series again. I didn't even know about the romance until I saw it online, but I didn't read any more cause I hate spoilers. I suppose the point is that you make choices in the game and play through the consequences that theoretically match your approach.... But I made a lot of choices based on how I wanted the game itself to play out, and I would have acted differently if I knew the last mission the in the first game just ends the whole thing..
Kumajii

As far as I'm aware, doing everything in the first game doesn't really matter going forward. I'm quite sure that every "choice" they give you doesn't have a horrible "consequence" later when importing saves.

There's only so many choices and I wouldn't be surprised if many happen to be "illusion choices" like TellTale likes to do with their espisodic adventures. But this time the developer happens to be Bioware.

It's not like your level and I assume gear/items will transfer over. So, I can't exactly say that it would be a bad idea.

Witty Elder

Akaru Renuji
Kumajii

As far as I'm aware, doing everything in the first game doesn't really matter going forward. I'm quite sure that every "choice" they give you doesn't have a horrible "consequence" later when importing saves.

There's only so many choices and I wouldn't be surprised if many happen to be "illusion choices" like TellTale likes to do with their espisodic adventures. But this time the developer happens to be Bioware.

It's not like your level and I assume gear/items will transfer over. So, I can't exactly say that it would be a bad idea.

Okay, good to know!

I have indeed noticed in the few parts of the game where I died a few times before passing that sometimes your "choices" just choose what dialogue you hear, not the outcome. Anyway, I think I will just keep going for now and then once I've played all the games - assuming I am still interested - I can one day start over and complete what I missed that time.

Mega Ladykiller

Enjoy the game emotion_kirakira

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas