Welcome to Gaia! ::

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
aleksa6
Zeoru
It feels kind of linear. I like it a lot more than Odyssey, though.
That's a shame. I'm hoping to see a monster hunting title with a real sense of adventure, you know?

It's hard to make a monster HUNTING game with a sense of adventure beyond hunting something 20 times your size and mass...

Timid Conversationalist

9,300 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
aleksa6
Zeoru
That's a shame. I'm hoping to see a monster hunting title with a real sense of adventure, you know?

It's hard to make a monster HUNTING game with a sense of adventure beyond hunting something 20 times your size and mass...
Yeah but think about it this way.
In Monster Hunter, you don't just fight giant monsters, you explore a massive island while looking for it. Even while battling it you have to track it down as it runs away from you, and during that time you can even go exploring for rare minerals like ores, or find smaller game to create food to replenish your stamina.

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
aleksa6
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
aleksa6
Zeoru

In Monster Hunter, you don't just fight giant monsters, you explore a massive island while looking for it. Even while battling it you have to track it down as it runs away from you, and during that time you can even go exploring for rare minerals like ores, or find smaller game to create food to replenish your stamina.

1. Massive island? It's really small...
2. Those are all real hunting elements, not adventure.

Timid Conversationalist

9,300 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
aleksa6
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
aleksa6
Zeoru

1. It's massive compared to other games such as Sou Sacrifice which just have boss rushing.
2. Those two elements aren't mutually exclusive.

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
aleksa6
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
aleksa6
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
aleksa6
Zeoru

1. It's massive compared to other games such as Sou Sacrifice which just have boss rushing.

It's still small...and those are elements from survival hunting games. There's really not much to explore and it's the same for the hundreds of hours you play the game. And the ore mining is a dull and repetitive chore. It's necessary when making some armors or weapons, but alot of games have that. As for hunting for food...the food only determines your stamina bar but has no real impact on your survival aside from that. Sure it's neat and all...but it wouldn't be a hunting game if you couldn't hunt for food...

Timid Conversationalist

9,300 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
aleksa6
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
aleksa6
Melancholy_Of_Toxic

It's still small...and those are elements from survival hunting games. There's really not much to explore and it's the same for the hundreds of hours you play the game. And the ore mining is a dull and repetitive chore. It's necessary when making some armors or weapons, but alot of games have that. As for hunting for food...the food only determines your stamina bar but has no real impact on your survival aside from that. Sure it's neat and all...but it wouldn't be a hunting game if you couldn't hunt for food...
That's your opinion. Compared to most portable titles it's still massive, and each island has its own nook and cranny to explore. Personally, I love mining in Monster Hunter, and I appreciate Freedom Unite making that a ton more accessible for those strapped on time.

Versatile Phantom

8,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100
aleksa6
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
aleksa6
Melancholy_Of_Toxic
aleksa6
Melancholy_Of_Toxic

That's your opinion. Compared to most portable titles it's still massive, and each island has its own nook and cranny to explore. Personally, I love mining in Monster Hunter, and I appreciate Freedom Unite making that a ton more accessible for those strapped on time.

Conclusion: Don't get Toukiden. I think I understand where you're standing now. I personally LOVE games such as this since Devil May Cry. No, wait, um... Sonic Adventure and Phantasy Star Portable? No, those were just choices influenced by my base favor.

Anyways, the point I'm going to make is this: You clearly don't want it and made a post hoping someone disproves your feelings. I'm still on chapter 3, so I can't say that much will change.

But, it's definitely NOT Monster Hunters. It's simply a game that falls into the same genre. If you get the game when you didn't even like the demo, you're only going to regret your purchase.

Better to just erase the demo data, which you can transfer into the retail copy, and move on.

Oh, right! I like this genre because of Gods Eater Burst. Maybe that's why I don't like Monster Hunters.

Versatile Phantom

8,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100
XBalmung
Zeoru
XBalmung
It's linear at first, as you progress further into the game, you can go around the entire map and actually "hunt" for the monster. However, once you find the monster, it will not leave the area you find it in. At least, they have yet to do so for me.

I thought that was mission specific!

Looks like Ill have to start using lighter gear, then.

It seems as though the story line progression quests use a more "linear" map while other quests don't. As you progress, you'll have the same monsters appear as quests again, but with the ability to go throughout the entire map.

I'm starting to see the tracking mechanics. I hate tracking them, but gathering materials before I have to kill the Oni is definitely a plus in my book. I like how the Gullux is such a fatass, though! It just.... Jiggles!!!

I like fighting the bosses to the Metal Gear arising OST. "Hot Wind Blowing" seems to be filled with the right energy needed for a perfect kill XD

Timid Conversationalist

9,300 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Zeoru
XBalmung
Zeoru
XBalmung
It's linear at first, as you progress further into the game, you can go around the entire map and actually "hunt" for the monster. However, once you find the monster, it will not leave the area you find it in. At least, they have yet to do so for me.

It seems as though the story line progression quests use a more "linear" map while other quests don't. As you progress, you'll have the same monsters appear as quests again, but with the ability to go throughout the entire map.

I'm starting to see the tracking mechanics. I hate tracking them, but gathering materials before I have to kill the Oni is definitely a plus in my book. I like how the Gullux is such a fatass, though! It just.... Jiggles!!!

I like fighting the bosses to the Metal Gear arising OST. "Hot Wind Blowing" seems to be filled with the right energy needed for a perfect kill XD
I prefer Rules of Nature. Especially on the final blow. biggrin

Versatile Phantom

8,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100
aleksa6
Zeoru
XBalmung
Zeoru
XBalmung

Oh my god, yes! I can't seem to match it with the bosses, though!

Well, maybe the Manhunter. That guy seems to fit with Rules of Nature and Hot Wind Blowing

Timid Conversationalist

9,300 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Zeoru
aleksa6
Zeoru
XBalmung
Zeoru
XBalmung

Well, maybe the Manhunter. That guy seems to fit with Rules of Nature and Hot Wind Blowing
Haha, yeah it's really tough. Platinum had to resort to using scripted events for the music to change properly, regretably.
However, did you ever listen to Dragonforce's Heroes of Our Time or Through the Fire and the Flames? It always matches monster hunting games in combat. Always. One time a battle actually unfolded in accordance to the lyrics of Heroes of Our Time while playing Sou Sacrifice. eek They sang something about being the last one standing, where my teammates where all down and out, about having to make a sacrifice, at which point I activated Excalibur by sacrificing an organ, and then the song ending the moment I killed a Cerberus.
It was epic, in the most literal (and I mean that word literally) sense.

Versatile Phantom

8,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100
aleksa6
Zeoru
aleksa6
Zeoru
XBalmung

Haha, yeah it's really tough. Platinum had to resort to using scripted events for the music to change properly, regretably.
However, did you ever listen to Dragonforce's Heroes of Our Time or Through the Fire and the Flames? It always matches monster hunting games in combat. Always. One time a battle actually unfolded in accordance to the lyrics of Heroes of Our Time while playing Sou Sacrifice. eek They sang something about being the last one standing, where my teammates where all down and out, about having to make a sacrifice, at which point I activated Excalibur by sacrificing an organ, and then the song ending the moment I killed a Cerberus.

I don't really listen to Dragonforce. But I do recognize their song "a Through the Fire and Flames" because of Guitar Hero.

For scripted music, it came out incredibly well! Fading from the instrumental version into the full lyrics SHOULD have taken great effort. For my first Platinum game, Metal Gear arising REALLY set the bar for me lol.

Timid Conversationalist

9,300 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Zeoru
aleksa6
Zeoru
aleksa6
Zeoru
XBalmung

I don't really listen to Dragonforce. But I do recognize their song "a Through the Fire and Flames" because of Guitar Hero.

For scripted music, it came out incredibly well! Fading from the instrumental version into the full lyrics SHOULD have taken great effort. For my first Platinum game, Metal Gear arising REALLY set the bar for me lol.
Incidentally the new DmC did context sensitive music really well, too. It seems to always change when major events happen and transitions smoothly, just like MGR.

Versatile Phantom

8,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Market Browser 100
aleksa6
Zeoru
aleksa6
Zeoru
aleksa6

Incidentally the new DmC did context sensitive music really well, too. It seems to always change when major events happen and transitions smoothly, just like MGR.

Metal Gear Rising was more Devil May Cry than DmC lolz.

I wonder how the gameplay would be if Platinum games would have taken over instead of Ninja Theory.

I liked how smooth DmC felt, though. It's too bad fans hate the game because it has such a great story D:

Timid Conversationalist

9,300 Points
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
Zeoru
aleksa6
Zeoru
aleksa6
Zeoru
aleksa6

Metal Gear Rising was more Devil May Cry than DmC lolz.

I wonder how the gameplay would be if Platinum games would have taken over instead of Ninja Theory.

I liked how smooth DmC felt, though. It's too bad fans hate the game because it has such a great story D:

Only in style, not in gameplay. Actually, gameplay wise, MGR had almost no relation to DMC at all. MGR was button-timing based, exactly like Ninja Blade (and probably Gaiden) where, like the originals, DmC was about chaining together attacks in unique ways.
I absolutely loved the new DmC, though frankly the only thing I hated about DmC (and MGR) was that there was NO FREAKIN' TAUNT BUTTON FFS NINJA THEORY I MEAN COME ON! *breathes* Okay, I feel better, now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff