Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
WARNING: THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG POST.
If you don't feel like reading a long post...

TLDR: If they want my money, they need to stop doing bad ports, otherwise I would rather see them never come back to the Wii U, no matter how much bigger the install base gets.

For the more in-depth post, read on...

For a while now, people have been complaining about Nintendo's "lack of third party support", and it's always in reference to AAA third parties.

I'd like to put forth a bit of a message towards these third parties that Nintendo thinks will return, and who want to return once sales go up, but before I go any further, let me just state something: The idea that Nintendo has no third party support, is false.

Indies count as third party support, even if they don't sell systems.
People are ogling No Man's Sky left and right, and that's an indie title.
People consider that a form of support for the PS4, even though it's going to be on PC as well.[as far as I know]
Double standards don't fly with me; if indies count as good third party support for one console, they count as good third party support for ALL consoles where there presence is strong.
And it's strong on Wii U.
Now that that's out of the way, let's move on...

Recently, there was an article [See here http://arstechnica.com/gami... about how a few third party companies wouldn't mind coming back if the Wii U starts selling better, to "justify" their efforts on the system.

This letter, is to the third parties, like Ubisoft and others like them, who have expressed this opinion of the Wii U.
It's a small request but one I mean with all of my heart...

Don't come back.

Surprised?

Well, let me explain myself; I've been an ardent supporter of many of the Wii U's AAA third party titles thus far.
I've bought everything from Mass Effect 3 to Assassin's Creed 3 and 4.
Heck, I even gave Zombie U a buy!
I'm no stranger to what these people consider "support" for the Wii U, and...

Well, I'm sorry, Ubisoft, EA, Activision, and most of the rest of you, but I don't really WANT you to return to the Wii U regardless of how well it starts selling.

NOT UNLESS YOU CHANGE HOW YOU APPROACH THE PLATFORM.

Now, granted, there are a few really decent titles from you guys. Ubisoft has been particularly on the ball; Child of Light was, and still is, one of the games I most love on my Wii U, and despite the delay of the game, Rayman Legends sold best on Wii U, because Ubisoft made it their mission to make that the BEST of the versions. Their efforts were rewarded.

But in the majority of cases?
I'm sorry, but the way many of you AAA third party developers have handled your own games on the platform, has left me disillusioned and very reluctant to continue to show any form of support to you, even if you did start bringing more games to the system.

Because I already know what kind of "support" to expect from you all regardless of install base.

Going back to a previous example, I bought Mass Effect 3 on the console recently.
I thought it was an excellent game; the game pad was well used and wasn't intrusive, the multiplayer was fun, and the campaign was a delight.[sans ending, of course]

But here's the thing: I waited until I could find it used.
That's right; I didn't give you, EA, a single CENT of my money for your game.
Do you know why, EA?
Do you know WHY I bought it used?
BECAUSE WHEN IT LAUNCHED, YOU BROUGHT OUT THE ENTIRE SERIES IN A COLLECTOR'S DISK EDITION, FOR CHEAPER, ON OTHER, OLDER, PLATFORMS!!!

If the caps aren't enough to get my point across, then let me put it more simply: You screwed me over as a Wii U owner, EA.
That comic you included in the special edition of ME3 was a nice touch, BUT IT DOESN'T DO ENOUGH TO REPLACE THE EXPERIENCE OF TWO FULL GAME'S WORTH OF RELATIONSHIP BUILDING AND GAMEPLAY ENJOYMENT.

What you SHOULD have done, was released an updated form of that same collection on the Wii U, fully supporting the game pad, with all of the DLC, THEN MADE EXCLUSIVE CONTENT FOR THE WII U VERSION, AND MARKETED THE CRAP OUT OF IT.

THAT, would have gotten you sales.
Imagine, if you will, some multiplayer stages, or some hidden weapons, based around something like the various Beam Weapons of the Metroid series.
Imagine a guest appearance by the Space Pirates that Samus fights, in multiplayer mode, on an exclusive map or two that is designed to mimic some of the environments of previous Metroid titles.

You should have done something like that, EA.
You should have worked with Nintendo to make that happen.

And that goes for other AAA third parties as well; I bought CoD Ghosts and Black Ops, very little DLC support and minimal patch support, and no exclusive bonuses or marketing efforts.

I bought Darksiders II, and that lacked some of the DLC that expanded the game's replay value.

The list goes on, and it includes many games I didn't touch because they were so poorly handled.[Sniper Elite V2 cut out the multiplayer entirely. Da hell, guys?!]

If you've read this far, then you've probably understood my point by now, but if it isn't clear, let me spell it out:

YOU NEED TO BUILD CONSUMER TRUST ON THE CONSOLE, BECAUSE YOU'VE LOST IT.
YOUR BAD DECISIONS, AND POOR JUSTIFICATIONS FOR THEM, HAVE LOST YOU ANY CHANCE YOU HAD OF MAKING PAYING CONSUMERS LIKE ME TRUST YOU TO DO MULTIPLATFORM PORTS JUSTICE ON THE WII U.

I'm done catering to you.
I tried being the odd man out by showing support when you guys demanded it.
I tried showing faith that things would get better if I just kept shelling out for you despite the mistakes that you were making.

But it didn't do me any good.

You still delayed games, you still neglected DLC, you still cut modes out, you still didn't take the time to properly optimize things, you still didn't make very good use of the Game Pad in the majority of cases, and above all, YOU SHOWED ME THAT YOU DIDN'T ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THE WII U VERSIONS BECAUSE YOU NEVER DID ANYTHING SUBSTANTIAL TO MARKET THEM, OR DO ANYTHING EXCLUSIVE TO MAKE THEM APPEALING COMPARED TO MORE GRAPHICALLY-INTENSIVE NEXT-GEN VERSIONS OR CHEAPER LAST-GEN VERSIONS.

I payed you my hard-earned money, and you gave me a huge wad of badly-handled shovelware in return.
As a Wii U owner, I AM JUSTIFIABLY PISSED AT MOST OF YOU.

So please, take my words to heart:
If you aren't willing to change how you approach the Wii U...
If you aren't willing to try making your ports better via more exclusive content within them and better marketing/multiplat-content support[DLC]...
If you aren't willing to keep doing a bunch of brand-new games instead of ports, when ports fail to sell, until something catches on and starts selling big...

DO. NOT. COME. BACK.

Nintendo has been scooping up some niche titles like Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third, and they've got a very healthy and still growing amount of indies supporting their system with games that are worth purchasing regardless of what other consoles they're on.
All of these things are giving Wii U owners games that, while smaller in scale in most cases, give Wii U owners much more quality in production than what you have been trying to pass off as "Support".
Your lack-luster ports on the Wii U have actually done further harm to its already-shaky reputation, coming hot on the heels of a casual-friendly console like the Wii.

Nintendo needs better from you if it's going to see its AAA install base grow, and if you're not willing to do that when the Wii U starts selling, then please, JUST STAY GONE.

Stick to the platforms that your games sell best on, and don't ruin the Wii U's reputation with shoddy ports any further, if you can't change the kind of support you show to the system, and to the fans on the system who WANT GOOD GAMES INSTEAD OF BAD PORTS FROM YOU.

I'm going back to play Deus Ex and The Wonderful 101 now.
If anything I have said in this letter is offensive to you, then I apologize, but IT HAD TO BE SAID.
I want to support you, but you've got to give me content that EARNS that support, and you've got to be consistent with it until that support catches on and starts making the games you put on the system, and by extension the system itself, sell better.

Not that much to ask, guys.

Think about it.

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Hoyt Volker v53
Eh, at least you put a tl;dr

I did so because I had a feeling you'd stop by, and I know how you hate long rants.

Don't say I never did anything for ya, dude.XD

Divine Whisperer

31,725 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
You should post something like this on each lackluster publisher's website... I doubt any of them come to Gaia.

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
BerserkLeon
You should post something like this on each lackluster publisher's website... I doubt any of them come to Gaia.

I would rather publish this as an article on a well-known website, if I could only find out how, since that wouldn't be able to get taken down by them like it likely would if I did go to each of their individual sites and posted this up...
Plus I'd have to deal with their apologists on their main sites, and that's just a huge barrel of monkey spunk that I'd rather not jump into, ya know?XD

Deathly Spark

12,875 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
For future reference, don't put the tl;dr hidden in a sentence.

BECAUSE THAT'S ONE THING I REALLY HATE.

Divine Whisperer

31,725 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
smashbrolink
BerserkLeon

I would rather publish this as an article on a well-known website, if I could only find out how, since that wouldn't be able to get taken down by them like it likely would if I did go to each of their individual sites and posted this up...
Plus I'd have to deal with their apologists on their main sites, and that's just a huge barrel of monkey spunk that I'd rather not jump into, ya know?XD

you could just post it and ignore everyone who complains at ya c:
ed: but yeah, deletion might be an issue.
You could send it into their customer support though? I'm not sure what the best method would be, aside from an article... maybe a dear abby or letter to the editor or some such...

Dangerous Poster

6,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
Question for anyone to anwser... Wouldnt Nintendo have to pay EA or Bioware to add exclusive content like a Mario costume for Sheperd in ME3?

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Bad News Blaze
Question for anyone to anwser... Wouldnt Nintendo have to pay EA or Bioware to add exclusive content like a Mario costume for Sheperd in ME3?

Now that right there is a good question...
I would assume that it would be the other way around; EA would have to pay Nintendo to use assets from their franchises.

If they did it right, however, it could pay dividends that would easily make up for it.

Imagine being able to find the Ice Beam and Wave Beam from the Metroid series, as guns in ME3, both single and multiplayer, only on Wii U...
Or a map that contains warp pipes everywhere that can be used to get to strategic locations in a flash, a veritable pipe maze...

There's a LOT of possibilities, if only the AAA's would actually ask and work with Nintendo for them...

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Army In Your Mind

Blood pressure, my friend.XD
I changed it a bit for your convenience.

Heroic Senshi

Bad News Blaze
Though, EA hates Nintendo these days because Nintendo didn't want to use Origin for online services.

xd
This is a cry good stance on the whole AAA fiasco

But rest assured that in the future Ninty won't even need Third party support or will only need little of it

You see they're putting up this building where all the first party Ninty Devs come in and work there
And when that's active I bet they wouldn't even need to deal with droughts because every month or few Ninty will release a Ninty first party game
Super Sailor Moon
Bad News Blaze
Though, EA hates Nintendo these days because Nintendo didn't want to use Origin for online services.

xd

best decision by nintendo ever! (origin token pass infrastructure sucks)

Deathly Spark

12,875 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
smashbrolink
Army In Your Mind

Blood pressure, my friend.XD
I changed it a bit for your convenience.

You're actually the reason I had to put in the bit about long posts in my signature. I've taken it out now, but I thought you should know.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff