Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
UPDATED 3/31:
Fixed spurious notices and hopefully fixed it so that it gets you to the right page.

Original:
This was written by faerystrangeme, so she gets all the credit, congratulations, and cookies.

Put your comments / questions about the new Manga notices here!

10,250 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Beta Critic 0
It's a pretty nice feature and should be useful, but two problems:

1) When you follow the alert link to go here, page 19 shows briefly (for about a second), but then changes to display the first page of the manga. (Although "Page 19 of 28" still shows.) Error detected and occurring in Win XP, Firefox 3.6.16 and Chrome, possibly other browsers.

2) The alert doesn't go away. Or more specifically, it does when you click it, but returns a few page changes later. (About 5 minutes or less.)

Look forward to using this after the bugs are worked out...

Time-traveling Senshi

I'm seeing those issues too. I'm using mobile Safari and a Firefox emulating browser for the iPad so you can add Safari to the affected browsers.

mean mina's Husband

Sexy Trash

31,300 Points
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Married 100
I get the same issue as Mindset using Firefox 4.0 (Win7) and Internet Explorer 9 without Compatibility Mode turned on. To be fair, the manga reader fiercely hates IE9.

Looks like a really useful feature once the issues are resolved 3nodding

5,250 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Time-traveling Senshi

Uh Pan the manga alerts are great and all but it doesn't quite work if the last five pages of the manga are coming up as broken images for me in Safari. I haven't been able to read yesterday's update on the manga page of the site itself. I had to have a friend actually link me to the actual page because they're not loading.

I hate being dependent upon mobile Safari and the iOS platform but right now that's all I got and such a great feature is being wasted if all the pages don't work with it.
♫ And I don't want the world to see me
'Cause I don't think that they'd understand

Just regarding the part about promoting manga alerts from an optional Labs thing to a regular thing on the site: I'd rather not (or have an on/off switch for it, at least). Personally, I don't follow the manga, and having the updates there (especially because it's apparently getting pretty frequent) would really do nothing but irritate me.

I think it works great from a Labs setting, though, and having a big announcement about it would get the word out to anyone that follows the manga but not dev alerts.

Just some feedback. ^^ Keep up the good work!

(Tangentially related, the Booty Grab update mentioned in the same post gets a meh from me, because I don't play BG or have my tank out. But it seems a lot less obtrusive than the manga alerts would be.)
When everything's made to be broken
I just want you to know who I am ♫

Rindul's Fav

Shady Shapeshifter

23,100 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Cool Cat 500
i'd kinda rather an alert when it's all finished so i can read it straight through instead of having to read it all over again to remember what happened before the new page...is there a way to do that?

before it was just up and if there was a new one, no one knew...but just page by page is kinda frustrating (i know some people are a bit more egar to see the newest page as it's up...i'm not suggesting to change that, but to add options for the kind of alert)

also, because of this, it would be nice if clicking the alert takes you to the new unread page rather than sifting through the whole thing just to read one page (AND the PREVIOUS button to go back to before pages doesn't work...this using IE9...haven't tried elsewhere yet, but the old page by page used to work and now it doesn't)

Mega Cat

11,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hive Mind 200
I like this! I definitely wouldn't mind having this as a regular site feature. But it sure would be nice to be taken to the latest page when I click that notice.

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Does the manga work correctly if you go there through the menus rather than directly through the link? I just tried it on an iOS device and everything seemed fine.

Chibi Halo
Uh Pan the manga alerts are great and all but it doesn't quite work if the last five pages of the manga are coming up as broken images for me in Safari. I haven't been able to read yesterday's update on the manga page of the site itself. I had to have a friend actually link me to the actual page because they're not loading.

I hate being dependent upon mobile Safari and the iOS platform but right now that's all I got and such a great feature is being wasted if all the pages don't work with it.

Time-traveling Senshi

Panagrammic
Does the manga work correctly if you go there through the menus rather than directly through the link? I just tried it on an iOS device and everything seemed fine.

Chibi Halo

You know what it doesn't. Alerts are kind of slow for me so I get them an hour after something's happened, which doesn't bug me, but I try to go through the regular menus and I still get several broken images. In mobile Safari it just shows up as a question mark in a square in the upper left corner. Let me try and see if it works on my folks desktop to see if it's just an issue with mobile Safari and this weird Firefox emulating app.

EDIT: Yep, it seems to be a mobile iOS issue with the mobile Safari and the weird Firefox emulating app. Works just fine on a regular normal computer. I guess the iPad doesn't like the last five pages of the manga.

Rainbow Lover

24,375 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Grunny Harvester 150
I actually prefer to wait until the manga is done before I read it (I hate reading a page a day), so I would be really annoyed if this were a permant feature that I couldn't turn off. As long as I could turn it off, though, I think it would be a great idea for those that ike to be up to date.

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
What's the Firefox emulating app you're using, and which version of iOS? I just tried it on iOS 4.2 / iPhone and it seems to work fine.

Chibi Halo
Panagrammic

Chibi Halo

You know what it doesn't. Alerts are kind of slow for me so I get them an hour after something's happened, which doesn't bug me, but I try to go through the regular menus and I still get several broken images. In mobile Safari it just shows up as a question mark in a square in the upper left corner. Let me try and see if it works on my folks desktop to see if it's just an issue with mobile Safari and this weird Firefox emulating app.

EDIT: Yep, it seems to be a mobile iOS issue with the mobile Safari and the weird Firefox emulating app. Works just fine on a regular normal computer. I guess the iPad doesn't like the last five pages of the manga.

Time-traveling Senshi

Panagrammic
What's the Firefox emulating app you're using, and which version of iOS? I just tried it on iOS 4.2 / iPhone and it seems to work fine.

Chibi Halo
Panagrammic

Chibi Halo

I'm using iOS 4.2 as well as I haven't been able to upgrade yet. And the app with the tabs for browsing I'm using is called Mercury Web Browser Pro. It's a paid app because it's the "Pro" version. And it looks like they have an update out today so I'm going to update the thing and see if that solves things or not. Also, my home WIFI's been very weird with whether or not it wants to respond right away with things so that could be affecting the last five pages of the manga actually showing up. And the funny thing is if I go and e-mail the thing via my iPad then I can view the page because it shows up in the e-mail form just fine.

Astounding Browser

15,175 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Angelic Alliance 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Currently using Safari on iPad to use the feature.

I love how the notice placed me near the page where I left off the last time I read! But perhaps the "3 page prior to where I last read" was still a bit off, it would be fabulous if the notice can take an individual user to the following page of where they left off on the dot. Might be quite a challenge to do so though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff