Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hello there!
I'm Meg. I live in Canada. I'd like to know more about life in other areas.

Where are you from?

What are the official languages in your area? Can you give us a sample?

How do you start your day? (breakfast, daily rituals, etc.)

What are some taboos in your culture?

Who is the leader of your country? Do you like him/her?

What's some recent news? What are the headlines?

What's the main religion of your country?

What's your country's motto?

Heh.. That's enough for now. Hopefully we'll all know a bit more about the world.

-Canada:

-English and French are the official languages. L'Anglais et le Français sont les langues officielles.

-Most people here wake up around 7-9am, and get breakfast (if they have breakfast) a short while after. Many bathe in the morning... It's the usual thing.

-Some taboos are stealing, refusing to help another person, driving irresponsibly, abusing children and animals.... Most are covered by laws.

-The Prime Minister of Canada at the moment is Stephen Harper. I'm not too fond of him. I'm a liberal.

-Some headlines... There's a missing eight-year old Ontario girl, the Red River in Winnipeg is flooding, and they're having a breakthrough in stopping it... The first terrorist sentenced in Canada appeals to his charges..

-Most people in Canada are Christian.

-A Mari Usque Ad Mare (From sea to sea) is our motto.
Wow. Either this forum is really slow, or everyone's really secretive ._.

Gracious Hunter

7,500 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Where are you from?

I'm from Mexico
Only one official language which is Spanish : Hola! como están? biggrin but we have people who were here before the Spanish conquest and some of those languages still survive

- I wake up at 5:20 am because I start working at 7 am and eat some cereal as breakfast and take a shower stare I get annoyed if I dont take a shower

- Taboos? Well hmm I guess people here have a hard time talking about sex to their children or explaining homosexuality but the society has slowly opened to it

- President Felipe Calderon, he's ok. It could've been way WORSE if the other strong candidate had won

- Drug dealers killing people, we do have a problem with that. Last year over 6,000 people were killed because of these guys ( of course most of the people who got killed werent innocent at all)

- Most Mexicans are Catholics

- Mexicans tend to buy things "Just in case"they need it
¡Tenemos vida!
It's better to be safe than sorry, I guess ^_^ It's better to have something now than wish you had it when it's too late, right?
The Krimson Guard
Wow. Either this forum is really slow, or everyone's really secretive ._.

most ppl r looking 4 eggs.
Where are you from? USA

What are the official languages in your area? Can you give us a sample? english

How do you start your day? (breakfast, daily rituals, etc.) i wake up at 6:00am& get ready for school.

What are some taboos in your culture? not sure what that is

Who is the leader of your country? Do you like him/her? i like obama!!!

What's some recent news? What are the headlines? not sure

What's the main religion of your country? not sure

What's your country's motto? not sure...
A taboo is..
Something excluded from use or mention: "a taboo subject"
A prejudice that prohibits the use or mention of something because of its sacred nature...
Or an inhibition or ban resulting from social custom or emotional aversion.

XD On the side...
What's "Happy Easter" in your language?
Joyeuses Paques!

Gracious Hunter

7,500 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
The Krimson Guard
¡Tenemos vida!
It's better to be safe than sorry, I guess ^_^ It's better to have something now than wish you had it when it's too late, right?
Hahahaha well yeah, but then your house gets full of stuff and you end up forgetting that you had them there rofl
Lady Cookie Monster
The Krimson Guard
¡Tenemos vida!
Hahahaha well yeah, but then your house gets full of stuff and you end up forgetting that you had them there rofl

Haha. I'm a pack rat. I keep things that I don't need.
Where are you from?
Australia

English

Just like any English people you would see.

Since this is a multi-cultural country, discrimination and especially racism are usually negative attributions.

Kevin Rudd, he was better than John Howard for sure.

Eh... well only the fact of the financial crisis, and the other major headline about the Victorian Bushfire.

Christianity.

None. Formerly Advance Australia though.
Where are you from?
Lisbon,Portugal.

Portuguese...ehhh...é uma lingua bonita.mas dificil...digo eu (or see "Lisbon's song" of wim wenders,beautiful film)

heh,wake up,wash up,have breakfast,check my emails...then get ready for college?yeah,pretty much that

talking bad crap about the Church or the Pope...and that's it?european mediterrean country,the church is hipocritically important...that and homossexuality,but again,it's chuch's fault.

José Socrates....i liked him better in the beggining of the presidency....now he just sounds fakely cheery in front of all the crap economy and numerous problems on this country...

We had an earthquake today(2.1 richter scale), two bodies were given to the wrong families(one of the families only noticed they didn't had dear late gramma in the funeral) by the Abrantes Hospital morgue...and grupal crime numbers have risen in 2008.

Roman Catholic Church....yeah,the pope one.

heeeh, i dunno..."Portugal to discover"?(it was a promo phrase for the tourism bureau...that and "go outside in" wink

Zenyix's Wife

Sparkly Fairy

16,900 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Party Animal 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
Hello everyone! I'm Lindsay, nice to meet you all! biggrin

Where are you from?
The United States of America

Our official language is English but there are so many different languages spoken from all over the world. I am currently studying Spanish in school and it is my favorite subject, along with literature. A common greeting to a friend is, "Hi, how are you?" or "Hey, what's up?". A more formal greeting to an acquaintance or person of authority is, "Hello! How are you doing today Mr/Ms...".

On the weekdays I generally get up around 5:30 in the morning and start my day. Although, it completely depends on the person and their profession regarding the time they start their day. I would assume most Americans start their day around seven in the morning. On weekends I sleep until atleast 9 in the morning because the night before I do something fun such as spend time with friends/family, see a movie, go to a shopping mall, etc. I eat a small breakfast, cereal with fruit and get ready for school. By 6:30am I leave my house to go to the bus stop.

Taboos in America are very similar to those that Meg has stated for Canada. Another really awful taboo is violence in relationships, very few come forward and are able to admit how horribly they are really being treated.

The new president of the United States is Barack Obama. Since President Obama was just inaugurated in late January, it's hard to say whether I like him or not. His lack of experience in politics is worrying many people and his plans for the future are fairly uncertain so far.

A college has threatened to suspend students for praying on campus. What happened to freedom to practice religion?
Pirates have a U.S. ship captain held for ransom and are demanding two million dollars.
As for weather, twisters and wildfires have been killing and injuring many people.
And of course, the economy has been a large topic of discussion for the past year or so for Americans. People are worried that the recession will become a depression if the correct moves are not made to prevent it. Even so, there are always ruts in the economy it will become stronger again. Many people have lost their jobs. A saying I have been hearing lately is, "If you have not lost your job, you know someone who has".

The main religion is Christianity but Judaism and Islam are also very popular. Many also opt not to practice a set religion.

I'm not quite sure that we have a set motto, but a common saying on coins and such is "In God We Trust".

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff