Welcome to Gaia! ::

12,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I'm trying to do my French homework but I'm confused.
I need to make a verb chart for the present, imperfait, and passe compose.
Is the imperfait and the imperatif the same thing or different? O.o

12,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
They're different.

Imperative is "Do this!", essentially. Commands.

Imparfait is used to describe background actions in the past. "I was doing this when....", essentially.

12,950 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
Thank you! ^^

You'd think I'd know it but my teacher is horrible and when she described it, it was like the same. -.-

Cute avi too. =]

5,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Wall Street 200
  • First step to fame 200
Mrs Yoake

Imperfait and l'impératif are different. The Imperfait is a descriptive past tense of a state of being; say when you were young or 5 years or last week or yesterday. It can also describe the weather (Il était midi et il faisait beau), feelings (Quand Je travaille, j'avais froid et très faim), events with no set duration, etc.

l'impératif is used when you offer advice, give orders, express yourself, and ask for certain things. Also the impératif can only be used with the tu, nous, and vous forms. And the conjugations are super easy! 3nodding

For Most (not all) -IR and -RE verbs it's the same as the indicative (or Present Tense).

For -ER verbs the Nous and Vous is the same as the indicative (Present) and for Tu you just drop the "s"

However keep in mind that verbs like avoir, être, savoir, vouloir have irregular forms.

Well there is a basic explanation of Imperfait and l'impératif; however, I recommend you go and ask for help at the French Café Here! . Princy (Petit Prince Noir) is a dear friend of mine and the creator of the French Café and he'd be more than happy to help you out and those of us who go and post at the thread will be too blaugh at the moment he is asleep, but hope this will help with one of your questions.
Mrs Yoake
I'm trying to do my French homework but I'm confused.
I need to make a verb chart for the present, imperfait, and passe compose.

i think its same not fully sure

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas