Welcome to Gaia! ::

What language would you like to learn/are learning?

Italian 0.15384615384615 15.4% [ 6 ]
German 0.076923076923077 7.7% [ 3 ]
Romanian 0.025641025641026 2.6% [ 1 ]
Spanish 0.051282051282051 5.1% [ 2 ]
Greek 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Japanese 0.33333333333333 33.3% [ 13 ]
French 0.1025641025641 10.3% [ 4 ]
Danish 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Other 0.25641025641026 25.6% [ 10 ]
Total Votes:[ 39 ]
1 2 3 >

Hello everyone! Gosh I'm nervous. I never thought I'd actually make a topic or start one...I guess...

Anyway so a little about me. My name is Life's-Precious and I'm an American who has always had a great interest in the world and the people in it. Learning about new languages and countries is one of my greatest loves and I wanted to see if there was anyone who shares that interest.

Right now I'm in the midst of teaching myself Italian and Japanese. So I wanted to create this topic for anyone else who wants to learn languages together or just discuss random cool things about our countries and lives. I do hope people come to post here because it would be a lot of fun to gain some new friends across the world don't you think? Perhaps we can help each other learn.

I don't know. I do really look forward to talking to anyone. gaia_nitemareleft A presto mi amici. ^^ gaia_nitemareright

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
While it's not entirely pertinent to the goal of this thread, I thought I'd throw my two cents in anyway just to get things rolling. Who knows? Maybe someone will find what I have to offer just as interesting.

That said, my thing is ancient languages. Usually dead ones. My primary language is Latin. (Ancient) Greek and Old Norse follow that, but I'm not nearly as good in those languages. One could say that I'm still learning those.

Learning languages to me is like acquiring good friends. It probably sounds silly, but each language being unique and all, I can't help but make the analogy. I've created whole characters and backgrounds around these languages and stuff (I like to role play a bit, even if I'm not good at it).

I do know a few modern languages, but most are just kind of a working knowledge or decent at carrying a conversation. Some are Japanese, Dutch and French. Still, my mind lives in the ancient world. Perhaps there might be some people in the Gaia community who have even a mild interest in Latin that might enjoy a conversation with me. I look forward to talking to everyone as well.

Propediem vos videbo, mei amici. ;B
Shizuka Mizu
While it's not entirely pertinent to the goal of this thread, I thought I'd throw my two cents in anyway just to get things rolling. Who knows? Maybe someone will find what I have to offer just as interesting.

That said, my thing is ancient languages. Usually dead ones. My primary language is Latin. (Ancient) Greek and Old Norse follow that, but I'm not nearly as good in those languages. One could say that I'm still learning those.

Learning languages to me is like acquiring good friends. It probably sounds silly, but each language being unique and all, I can't help but make the analogy. I've created whole characters and backgrounds around these languages and stuff (I like to role play a bit, even if I'm not good at it).

I do know a few modern languages, but most are just kind of a working knowledge or decent at carrying a conversation. Some are Japanese, Dutch and French. Still, my mind lives in the ancient world. Perhaps there might be some people in the Gaia community who have even a mild interest in Latin that might enjoy a conversation with me. I look forward to talking to everyone as well.

Hey! I don't think your analogy is silly at all. Languages are much like food in my opinion as well. The more you sample, hopefully the more you love. As for dead ones, they still are vital to our history and are extremely fascinated especially when trying to decode them. ^^ I happen to have an uncanny fixation on Latin though I've never learned it. It's a very beautiful language though and I love listening to it. In time, I'd like to take a course on it and see if I can be any good.

Thank you for giving my thread a chance too, I was actually kind of worried no one would be interested. So thank you. Though I can really only speak in phrases for Italian and Japanese, perhaps you can help me with Latin sometime and we can strike up a cool conversation.

A dope! ^^

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
YaoiSistah96
Hey! I don't think your analogy is silly at all. Languages are much like food in my opinion as well. The more you sample, hopefully the more you love. As for dead ones, they still are vital to our history and are extremely fascinated especially when trying to decode them. ^^ I happen to have an uncanny fixation on Latin though I've never learned it. It's a very beautiful language though and I love listening to it. In time, I'd like to take a course on it and see if I can be any good.

Thank you for giving my thread a chance too, I was actually kind of worried no one would be interested. So thank you. Though I can really only speak in phrases for Italian and Japanese, perhaps you can help me with Latin sometime and we can strike up a cool conversation.

A dope! ^^

Yeah, of course! I'd love to give some pointers. Or even if it's just something simple like "how do you say x in Latin?" or "where did the word 'suppression' come from?" I like to answer those too.
My Japanese is pretty haphazard, like a child trying to speak, but I can give it a shot.
ラテン語の質問がありますか。:p

Obsessive milonguera

O hi there.
I'm in the process of learning Italian myself. But it is slow. Because I'm lazy. smile
We should help each other learn. ^^

Fashionable Sophomore

6,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Wall Street 200
I'm learning Spanish and Japanese, but mostly Spanish. It's kind of hard to find somebody to chat with in Spanish, especially since I'm not very good at it just yet. (I'm about intermediate in level) I'm hoping to find somebody to practice with. Any takers? biggrin
I'm from Trinidad and Tobago. But my paternal grandparents were Portuguese and my maternal great grandparents were Indian so I would really love to learn Portuguese and Hindi. I do know some basic Spanish and French though.

Lonely Smoker

12,025 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
Shizuka Mizu

Oh My Gad! Latin is so rare now rofl so it's cool that you know it emotion_c8

Invisible Genius

6,200 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
I love languages! I know English/Spanish, and I'm learning German emotion_yatta but I think it be really nice to learn Russian and Japanese as well.

6,325 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
Aphyllum
Oh My Gad! Latin is so rare now rofl so it's cool that you know it emotion_c8

You really think so?
It's my favorite thing. I like to role play a little bit, and so for the sake of characters, I've created my own dialect, complete with its own special name and pronunciation and everything.
I'm a super nerd. :B
That aside, I'm really glad someone in the world thinks it's cool. That makes me happy. :p
A.D.1492
O hi there.
I'm in the process of learning Italian myself. But it is slow. Because I'm lazy. smile
We should help each other learn. ^^

I agree! It would be a lot of fun to help each other learn. How far along are you? Through the basics such as numbers and greetings? smile
bhagad
I'm learning Spanish and Japanese, but mostly Spanish. It's kind of hard to find somebody to chat with in Spanish, especially since I'm not very good at it just yet. (I'm about intermediate in level) I'm hoping to find somebody to practice with. Any takers? biggrin

I do have some friends who speak Spanish fluently. Perhaps I can get them to help you. I, myself, can understand it alright but speaking it is a whole 'nother animal haha.
Shizuka Mizu
YaoiSistah96

A dope! ^^

Yeah, of course! I'd love to give some pointers. Or even if it's just something simple like "how do you say x in Latin?" or "where did the word 'suppression' come from?" I like to answer those too.
My Japanese is pretty haphazard, like a child trying to speak, but I can give it a shot.
ラテン語の質問がありますか。:p

Oh man that kanji haha. I haven't quite learned the kanji yet. I know the basic hiragana though with the 'ah, ii, u, e, o' and such. I'm learning more and can recognize some of what you've written. I can't read it though. I'm hoping to enroll in some Japanese classes when I start college in September. ^^
Ayane-ne
I love languages! I know English/Spanish, and I'm learning German emotion_yatta but I think it be really nice to learn Russian and Japanese as well.

Doitsu!!!<3 Oh I love German. I know everyone says it sounds like such an angry language but I don't think so. In fact I believe it's very distinguished. As for Russian... it's all Greek to me XD Pun intended. *bad joke is bad*
KimberlyAriel07
I'm from Trinidad and Tobago. But my paternal grandparents were Portuguese and my maternal great grandparents were Indian so I would really love to learn Portuguese and Hindi. I do know some basic Spanish and French though.

Ooohh if you know French my friend would love you. She adores France and anything to do with it. But wow you have a really rich family history. Haha my grandparents are from Kansas. If you don't mind me asking, what's it like in Trinidad and Tobago?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff