Welcome to Gaia! ::

Bloodthirsty Hellhound

13,600 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Campaign Manager 500
Anyone with a decent grip want to teach me a bit? Or perhaps a learning partner? All I know so far is a tiny bit of grammar, a few kanji, and hiragana and katakana crying
PM me or reply on here if you want

10,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
I've started a beginner course awhile ago, you should start learning hiragana first then katakana and then the dreaded kanji gonk

Ice-Cold Hunter

10,750 Points
  • Hunter 50
  • Survivor 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I cannot stress how helpful Rikaichan is. I think there are versions for other browsers. But seriously, get it. It's helped me out so much and if you are ever really stuck on a kanji you can just mouse over it and read it. I never really bothered learning the grammar, I find you pick them up as you notice similarities between sentences and you just use them without really thinking about it. As for actually learning Kanji, you need to go through it grade by grade. Make sure to learn the radicals of each one as these will come in handy so much later on.

Demonic Muse

Get yourself a copy of Genki I and II. They're corny, but helpful.

Bloodthirsty Hellhound

13,600 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Campaign Manager 500
Phrozen Pikachu
I've started a beginner course awhile ago, you should start learning hiragana first then katakana and then the dreaded kanji gonk

I have already learned both, but as for kanji I've only learned a few...still a lot left. sweatdrop

Makto txan palulukan
I cannot stress how helpful Rikaichan is. I think there are versions for other browsers. But seriously, get it. It's helped me out so much and if you are ever really stuck on a kanji you can just mouse over it and read it. I never really bothered learning the grammar, I find you pick them up as you notice similarities between sentences and you just use them without really thinking about it. As for actually learning Kanji, you need to go through it grade by grade. Make sure to learn the radicals of each one as these will come in handy so much later on.

I have that already smile I got it a few weeks ago when I was trying to read some Japanese articles.

Makaze~chan

I already have those smile They have been really helpful with vocab and grammar so far.

I am just looking for someone who knows it so they can speak it with me. It will be easier if I learn it by speaking it with other people who already know it. I've tried a language exchange, but it is difficult to find good ones.

10,400 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
GenderBend
Phrozen Pikachu

I have already learned both, but as for kanji I've only learned a few...still a lot left. sweatdrop

Well I've spoken to a few japanese students at university they told me that they use 2000-4000 kanji if you want to learn it properly lol

Timid Ladykiller

For kanji get a grade list of kanji and start from the beginning and move your way to high school kanji, etc.
Learn hiragana and katakana first though, definitely. Just use flash cards and quiz yourself until you have them memorized.
For kanji make them into their meaning. Car looks like a car frame, mountains look like mountains. You have to make tricks and meanings to match the kanji to help you learn.
If you can get Rosetta Stone I strongly recommend it. Then start watching Japanese news, tv shows, etc.

Demonic Muse

GenderBend

Makaze~chan

I already have those smile They have been really helpful with vocab and grammar so far.

I am just looking for someone who knows it so they can speak it with me. It will be easier if I learn it by speaking it with other people who already know it. I've tried a language exchange, but it is difficult to find good ones.

I have the basics down, so I could speak with you. What method were you thinking of?

Bloodthirsty Hellhound

13,600 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Campaign Manager 500
Phrozen Pikachu
GenderBend
Phrozen Pikachu

Well I've spoken to a few japanese students at university they told me that they use 2000-4000 kanji if you want to learn it properly lol

Yes, I plan to take the JLPT so I'll need at least that much to pass. I've hardly scratched the surface sweatdrop crying

Amecha
For kanji get a grade list of kanji and start from the beginning and move your way to high school kanji, etc.
Learn hiragana and katakana first though, definitely. Just use flash cards and quiz yourself until you have them memorized.
For kanji make them into their meaning. Car looks like a car frame, mountains look like mountains. You have to make tricks and meanings to match the kanji to help you learn.
If you can get Rosetta Stone I strongly recommend it. Then start watching Japanese news, tv shows, etc.

I already have a lot of books and programs with all the information I need, just looking for people to interact with who know it. smile

Makaze~chan
GenderBend

Makaze~chan

I have the basics down, so I could speak with you. What method were you thinking of?

Hmm well since I'm currently working on grammar, I was thinking just Q&A type thing. There's a lot of things I don't understand about it, so I'd just like someone who could help answer those questions and provide answers or further help. Most websites are extremely insightful, but having another person to give me direct answers will also be very helpful for when I need some examples or can't find a helpful description anywhere. Some of my questions go beyond the grammar and to vocab as well. A lot of these questions could likely be answered on some unknown page in some unknown book that I probably have, but I am trying to learn as fast as possible so human interaction is probably my best bet. xd

Demonic Muse

GenderBend

Makaze~chan
GenderBend

Makaze~chan

Hmm well since I'm currently working on grammar, I was thinking just Q&A type thing. There's a lot of things I don't understand about it, so I'd just like someone who could help answer those questions and provide answers or further help. Most websites are extremely insightful, but having another person to give me direct answers will also be very helpful for when I need some examples or can't find a helpful description anywhere. Some of my questions go beyond the grammar and to vocab as well. A lot of these questions could likely be answered on some unknown page in some unknown book that I probably have, but I am trying to learn as fast as possible so human interaction is probably my best bet. xd

I could help with that.
By the way, which JLPT are you taking, and when? N5 in December?

Divine Cleric

wanikani.com

Bloodthirsty Hellhound

13,600 Points
  • Waffles! 25
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Campaign Manager 500
Makaze~chan

I could help with that.
By the way, which JLPT are you taking, and when? N5 in December?

Okay, thank you! I will add you and message you here shortly. smile
I'm wanting to take them all, but I'd be starting off with N5 and then work my way to N1. I'd probably be able to pass the N5 test by December, but I don't know if I'll be taking it then, due to a lot of other payments that I'll be making here soon crying It'd most likely be next December.

The Aged God
wanikani.com

If it's from tofugu it should be good. I'll bookmark it!

Divine Cleric

Also, realkana.com

And realkanji.com

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out