Conservative Lover

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
Aquatic Dot
geminikitten
LettuceB3
I get the impression that women are not as respected as men are in the muslim community? Am I right and why is that? 4laugh

I'm a non-Muslim woman living in a Muslim country and married to a Muslim. I find that women get much more respect than in Western countries but that's my experience in GCC countries. It's definitely the culture rather than religion playing a part end of the day though more than anything.

I don't really see female oppression. They're very spoilt here and given lots of money and luxuries. I mostly see lots of Muslimahs out and about having coffee, shopping and doing things together. Even with kids I see the father looking after them in the kids/waiting areas of shopping malls and if they're too lazy to do it themselves, they get a maid to do it for them. Like in most countries and cultures, women tend to have more domestic powers and dominate the guy within families. Try dealing with an Arab woman and see what I mean. They're scary.

What country do you live in? Oftentimes, what is perceived as oppression towards women varies between countries.

I live in the UAE. I'm a Thai/German-Australian expat.

My cultural upbringing is ridiculously varied though due to the people who raised me and places I've lived though so I don't really think my views are too ethnocentric. Even then I haven't seen too much oppression through 'Western' eyes since 90% of people in Dubai alone are expats and 99% haven't experienced anything unusual. Even that Norweigian rape case was instantly dismissed by everyone here despite what the media was saying since we know how it misses half the facts and plays on emotions. Similar applies to other GCC countries except the KSA but they're seen as crazy to everyone else.
Aquatic Dot
Is knowledge necessary for Paradise? For instance, do I need to know that Adam was created from dust according to the Qur'an in order to go to Paradise upon death?

This should answer the question

“They will enter the Garden of Bliss who have a true, pure, and merciful heart.”

“The proud will not enter Paradise, nor a violent speaker.”
“He who wisheth to enter Paradise at the best door must please his father and mother.”

“Acquire knowledge. It enableth its posessor to distinguish right from wrong it lighteth the way to Heave it is our friend in the desert, our society in solitude, our companion when friendless it guideth us to happiness it sustaineth us in misery it is an ornament among friends, and an armour against enemies.”

“The acquisition of knowledge is a duty incumbent on every Muslim, male and female.”

“One hour's meditation on the work of the Creator is better than seventy years of prayer.”

“He who leaveth home in search of knowledge, walketh in the path of God.”

“Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave.”

“Go in quest of knowledge even unto China.”
- Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)
LettuceB3
Islamic Teacher
LettuceB3
I get the impression that women are not as respected as men are in the muslim community? Am I right and why is that? 4laugh

It mainly depends on the culture on how women are treated
In Islam women are equal with men, but their duties to society are different

"O ye who believe! Ye are forbidden to inherit women against their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness, that ye may take away part of the dower [money given by the husband to the wife for the marriage contract] ye have given them, except where they have been guilty of open lewdness; on the contrary live with them on a footing of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that ye dislike a thing, and God brings about through it a great deal of good. (The Noble Quran, 4:19)"
What are some of those roles? If I were to become muslim how would my experience differ from that of a man? 4laugh

It depends on the culture really
Many Muslim countries differ from one another in culture, so women would be treated differently in each one

Predestined Hoarder

What are the "rules" to Ramadan? By rules I mean things like: How long does it last? What can't people do? What are the exceptions?

Do all muslims practice it in the same way?
dreamish
What are the "rules" to Ramadan? By rules I mean things like: How long does it last? What can't people do? What are the exceptions?

Sunni and Shia differ in someways but its mainly the same
you can get details from this link or watch this video
http://www.islamreligion.com/articles/47/

Anymore Questions?
Islamic Teacher
Jester25
Islamic Teacher
I've always been Muslim
I see... well, in other religions, I know that some people have struggled with their faith a lot during their lives. Have you ever had a moment like that? What has kept you, personally, close to the faith?

I like learning about religions, but I also like learning about the people who follow a religion, in case you're wondering...

In the world we live in today, i have indeed struggled with my faith in multiple ways
In society people call us Muslims "terrorists", some Christians I've met called me "devil worshiper"
I blame alot of it on their ignorance and i try to ignore since everyone's entitled to their own opinion
Life is a test for me
I've stayed with my religion simply because i believe that out of all the religions I've researched that its the truth
I've researched Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, etc.and none seem to be a complete truth to me like Islam is

What do you know about Hinduism? Since you said you researched it.

Springtime Capitalist

dreamish

It's simple!

You have to wake up before sunrise to eat something, then you fast until sunset. That means no food, no drink, no cursing, no bad manners. You can't be rude, you can't talk bad about a person, you try not to do any bad things or think about nasty stuff.

It's basically like this. If you are able to control something like hunger & thirst, involuntary needs of your body, then why can't you control your bad habits - thinks like cursing, shouting, getting angry quickly or not thinking before you speak.

It's like mental training (& physical, for those who overeat) for month.

Predestined Hoarder

yourSweetestSensation
dreamish

It's simple!

You have to wake up before sunrise to eat something, then you fast until sunset. That means no food, no drink, no cursing, no bad manners. You can't be rude, you can't talk bad about a person, you try not to do any bad things or think about nasty stuff.

It's basically like this. If you are able to control something like hunger & thirst, involuntary needs of your body, then why can't you control your bad habits - thinks like cursing, shouting, getting angry quickly or not thinking before you speak.

Thank you for your reply! It was very explanative.
I was wondering about some details that I heard. One girl told me that guys can't kiss girls on the cheek (to say hi, normal here in france) during Ramadan nor can girls wear makeup. Is this a universal interpretation?
Kaniskion
Islamic Teacher
Jester25
Islamic Teacher
I've always been Muslim
I see... well, in other religions, I know that some people have struggled with their faith a lot during their lives. Have you ever had a moment like that? What has kept you, personally, close to the faith?

I like learning about religions, but I also like learning about the people who follow a religion, in case you're wondering...

In the world we live in today, i have indeed struggled with my faith in multiple ways
In society people call us Muslims "terrorists", some Christians I've met called me "devil worshiper"
I blame alot of it on their ignorance and i try to ignore since everyone's entitled to their own opinion
Life is a test for me
I've stayed with my religion simply because i believe that out of all the religions I've researched that its the truth
I've researched Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, etc.and none seem to be a complete truth to me like Islam is

Its a Monism religion
anymore questions?
Islamic Teacher
Kaniskion
Islamic Teacher
Jester25
Islamic Teacher
I've always been Muslim

Life is a test for me

Its a Monism religion

Good! Then you have indeed done your research. Although monotheism is just one part of it. 3nodding

Springtime Capitalist

dreamish
yourSweetestSensation
dreamish

It's simple!

Thank you for your reply! It was very explanative.
I was wondering about some details that I heard. One girl told me that guys can't kiss girls on the cheek (to say hi, normal here in france) during Ramadan nor can girls wear makeup. Is this a universal interpretation?

You're welcome! >u< Happy to teach something new !

Okay, so relationships between guys and girls even friendship or coworkers are totally different in Islam! Girls and guys who are not related / not family members are not supposed to shake hands / kiss each other on the cheek / hold hands/ hug each other etc! This is because in Islam, and in psychology, lol, a woman and man who are not family members will feel something for each other simply because of hormones if they are frequently in physical contact.

Of course a handshake isn't going to make you fall in love with a girl, but a girl that shakes hands with a guy will probably also hold hands with someone else or allow guys to hug her // and it's those interactions that can eventually lead to "Oh I like you!" and all kinds of messes that Islam wants to avoid.

Islam treats a girl like a pearl. You can't just pick a pearl off the ground. You have to travel to the bottom of the sea, find the oyster and pry it open. And the pearl is pure and clean, never been touched. That's what the epitome of the Muslim woman is supposed to be! That's why her interactions with opposite gender should not include physical contact or even suggestive talking // nothing improper or crossing borderlines at all! She should conduct herself and say things that she would say in front of her father (as an example of the level of modesty)

And regarding makeup!

Muslim women are definitely, DEFINITELY allowed to wear make up. That is their own choice of how much they choose to wear. They are told not to attract the kind of attention that will attract suggestive thoughts in men, that's why they should wear loose clothing that doesn't reveal their body shape. In the same way, makeup shouldn't make everyone stare at their face! But if it's a reasonable amount to make themselves look nice, there's nothing wrong with that!

In fact, God asks that when a Muslim prays, they wash themselves (wudu) and wear clean clothes and smell and look nice before they pray! And they pray five times a day! Cleanliness is considered half the faith! and beauty is a part of it!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff