Welcome to Gaia! ::

Out of ten, how would you rate the guide compilation?

7-10 0.80555555555556 80.6% [ 58 ]
4-6 0.125 12.5% [ 9 ]
1-3 0.069444444444444 6.9% [ 5 ]
Total Votes:[ 72 ]
1 2 3 4 5 >

Unbeatable Raider

[*DISCLAIMER*]

I have at the moment, three guides created by other people. All the guides posted have been approved by their creators for use by me.

If anyone wants to allow me to add their Guide to the list, I'd be more than grateful. Comments greatly appreciated.

Guide Contents

Affiliates

Unbeatable Raider

Full credit goes to Electric Kool-Aid for creating it in the first place and those mentioned in each section. I'm merely making a copy in here.

Table Of Contents!

I. Roleplaying Etiquette
xxxa. Definitions of Commonly Used Terms
xxxb. Common Problems
xxxc. Easy Solutions to Common Problems
II. How to Choose a Roleplay
III. Character Creation Guides
IV. How to Fill Out an Application
V. Suggestions for Starting Your Own Roleplay
xxxa. Procedures for creating a long lasting, fun Rp.
xxxb. Introducing magic into the world you have created.
VI. Top Things We Wish We'd Known Sooner or "Hindsight is 20-20"

Unbeatable Raider

RolePlaying Etiquette:

Definitions of Commonly Used Terms:
With contributions from Yoder and Gale OverDrive

Roleplaying: Basically, roleplaying is collectively creating a story built upon each characters’ individual actions and reactions based upon the actions and reactions of other characters. The collaborative work of fiction starts with a basic foundation from which further things come.

IC:In-Character: The opposite of OoC, where you are acting as or controlling your own character in the roleplay.

PC:Playable Character: Your Character(s)

OoC: This literally means "Out-of-Character". This guild has a specific thread, and even a forum for out of character chatter. Pay attention to your threadmaker's rules, they may allow some OOC discussions, or they may ask for none at all. Some place a special thread in the OOC/Spam subforum that is specifically for out of character questions or chats. To differentiate between OOC posts and character posts most people use repeated symbols like parentheses, brackets, angle brackets, surrounding their post like this: ((This is out of character! OMG *gigglesnort*))

Setting: Where the roleplay is taking place. This includes geographical setting as well as historical or futuristic. Always pay attention to your threadmaker's setting as it will determine to a large extent what will be available for use by your character, and will help you and everyone else in the roleplay understand what's going on.

God-Modding: Sometimes called "Power-Playing". This term is often seen in rules, and is seen in a negative light. To godmode literally means to make your character invincible. By doing this, you close a lot of options for people to interact with you. As an example, I was in a roleplay once in which all the character's were gods. The thread-maker (Ivellias) was very good about making the gods have a human component that caused them to exist. Therefore if the human dies, the god is in a lot of trouble, thus making a god, not god-mod. God-modding is annoying, because it really shuts down a lot of interesting options, in addition, most thread makers include in their rules that you must ask permission before killing another person's character, so there is no reason to god-mod. Also, if someone should kill your character without asking, you can always create a new one, or talk to the threadmaker and see about some form of reincarnation, if you absolutely can't live without the character. Sometimes, it is actually more fun to let a character die, or undergo a major change than to remain static. God-modding can also mean controlling someone else's character. For instance, let's say my character's name is Joe Schmo. And another person's character's name is Jane Doe. Our characters are locked in an epic battle! And suddenly I say:
"Joe Schmo pulled a rope from his back pocket, and tied Jane Doe to a tree. "Oh noes!" she said desperately as Joe tied a complex knot. The rope was a special kind of magic, that made is so she couldn't ever cut it or wiggle out. She was left tied to the tree forever and ultimately starved to death and was eaten up by lots of little worms and other creepy crawlies, finally becoming a useful part of the nitrogen cycle." As you can see I took control of this other person's character, not giving any time for her/him to decide the fate of their character. A revised version of this post would be: "Joe Schmo pulled a rope from his back pocket, while dodging the swing of Jane's ax. "Ah ha!" he cried as he began to close in on Jane, trying to force her back against the tree, where he'd have the upper hand." This post, though somewhat shorter, is entirely more sensible, and contains places where Jane can work off of. I apologize for that being a really long definition, but now you won't do it. Good for you. *hands you a cookie*

Auto-Hitting: Auto-hitting, is similar to godmoding in that it is when one character takes control of either NPC's or another person's character. It is essentially harming another character without giving them a chance to dodge, block or run away. Similar to the above example but a little different:
"Joe Schmo swung a hefty blow at Jane, and was pleased when he heard her scream in pain as the club connected with her leg." <-This is obviously bad. You should always (unless pre-agreed through OOC discussion) give someone space (to quote that oh-so-popular film Dodgeball) Dodge, dip, duck, dive, and dodge, as well as fight or flee.

Player-Killing: A term derived from most MMO's out there, this is a VERY severe example of God-Moding. This action refers to the automatic killing of another RPer's character within the story WITHOUT the latter's consent to be killed first.

Auto-dodges: The exact opposite to auto-hitting. This scenario is usually best spotted when the RPer is too emotionally close to their character, therefore not wanting them to get hit or suffer damage at the hands of an enemy. It is easy to point this out, especially if the RP character has been evading constant strings of attacks without fail. The only possible scenario that this could happen is with a really, really, really, (and I mean really) fast character, against an incredibly slow one.

NPC('s):Non-Playable Character: This is a character controlled exclusively by the roleplay’s creator.

APC('s):All-Playable Character: This is a character anybody may control. Once you become well acquainted with roleplaying you may find APC's very useful for demonstrating your character's personality. We'll use the classic tavern scene for this example. My character once again is Joe Schmo. The APC is a tavern wench:
"Joe Schmo slumped down in a wooden chair with his back to the wall. "Oi!" he shouted, raising his hand. "What's it take to get a drink 'round here?" A bar maid appeared at his table, she was flustered, and had three mugs in each hand. "I'll take one of those." Joe said gesturing to the beer. She slammed one on the table, sloshing it out of the mug somewhat. "Six pence." she said hurriedly, eager to get to other customers." As you can see, the bar maid, was played by me, and was not godmoding. If another character happens into the same tavern, they are more than welcome to use this same bar maid.

SPC('s): Semi-Playable Character: This is a character whose creator left the roleplay. Such, he is usually dragged along and scarcely mentioned. If he is to do anything major, it is usually left to the roleplay’s creator to decide. They are also referred to as "Puppets" or "Ghosts."

Cybering: Cybering is roleplaying sex. It is not allowed on Gaia. DO NOT EVER CYBER ON GAIA. Romance is allowed in many roleplays (once again pay attention to the thread maker's rules) but under no circumstances is it necessary to cyber. If you get to a point where your character and someone else's feel the urge, you can simply say something like "Fade to black" and then pick it up again with the morning after. And just of posterity sake: DO NOT EVER CYBER ON GAIA.

Unbeatable Raider

Common Problems
With contributions from Yoder

Disregard of Rules: As you might have noticed from the definitions, it is very VERY important to read your threadmaker's rules, preferably before you apply. Always follow Gaia ToS (Terms of Service) which explicitly state that everything should be kept PG-13. Always follow this Guild's rules which can be found in the form of an announcement in the main forum. These are very important and your friend. *embraces them* (they're soft and cuddly too whee ) And finally always follow your threadmaker's rules, If it says no romance for example, don't try to create any, or find a different roleplay better suited to you liking.
*NOTE: Perhaps the most disregarded rule in the Guild the one about Titles for Roleplays. This guild has a very useful special system, involving letters in brackets like [A] or [NA] or [V]. These all mean something and are necessary in the title of any roleplay you create. Please be sure to read the guild rules and understand this system. Personally I wish I could kiss the feet of the person who created it! Click here to jump to Guild Rules!

*NOTE:The creator is allowed to break the guidelines of his own RP, so long as they don't break the RPR's rules or Gaia's ToS: Yes, the role play’s creator CAN and probably WILL break the rules of his own roleplay if need be. He can god-mod to high heaven since he’s the one who governs the entire world in which your characters find themselves. While it makes for a better roleplay if they don’t break their own rules, it may be necessary at times.

Don't take IC feelings OoC: Some people take character conflict beyond the roleplay itself and blow it out of proportion. In almost very situation, character conflict has no correlation to real-life conflict. So don’t take offense, because it isn’t meant.

Being too Picky: Sometimes, you can't always have a medieval steampunk roleplay, or a modern cyberpunk roleplay. Just deal with what's out there. A roleplay like that may come along some day, but don't just sit there waiting for it to come. Join other similar roleplays. You might even consider joining a roleplay genre that you've never tried before. If you really have to have a roleplay with such specific qualities, make one yourself.

Setting Disregard:This one gets is own special bulletin as it is also one of my biggest pet peeves. Keep your setting in mind while posting! One of the most fun things about roleplaying is that it allows you to be somewhere different, be someone different, and experience new things. If you're in a roleplay that has a medieval setting, you may want to do a little research: Find out what they ate, what kinds of clothes your character would wear, what occupation they'd have...In this case research can be fun. But a warning, if someone makes a minor mistake like saying that in the 1880's, lobotomies had been invented (This is a knitpicky detail, and not correct, but besides they got away with it in From Hell) you don't need to jump down their throats, you may politely point it out, but if it's not too important to the storyline, let it go. Just keep an eye on yourself and keep setting in mind, I was in a medieval roleplay once where someone nonchalantly turned on the radio...needless to say I was a bit confused...

Indestructable/Static Scenario: Often enough, roleplayers completely ignore the area when in combat. They will either treat the terrain as if it can't be changed or damaged, or their character will be unaffected by change or damage to the environment. If you cast a wave of fire in a grassy field, you can expect that the green grass will become singed ash. If it's raining on a packed dirt road, you can expect it to become slippery over time. Just remember that everything around you affects how you will perform whilst in the heat of battle. Maintaining an element of realism, even in the most fantastical universe imaginable, is key!

Inclusion:Everyone is here to have fun, so it only makes sense to include everyone. Try to work everyone's characters into the plot, so everyone feels welcome!

Literacy Levels/Post Size/Post Speed: We are all a little different, and so are our posts. The RPR doesn't have a specific set literacy level, which means some threads might allow you to use *'s to denote actions or something similar. When looking into applying for a roleplay, you should look at the average post size, and see how you will fit in, how much time you have in your schedule may effect your post size as well. If you like to make BIG posts you may feel out of place in a roleplay where people are doing one-line answers, and vice versa. Also how fast the thread moves is important to consider, if you apply and find that every time you're able to check it you're several posts behind, you may want to consider notifying the threadmaker and choosing a different roleplay.

Obsessive Thread Creation: I'm not 100% sure why this problem occurs, but people apparently get ideas for roleplays in bulk quantities on occasion. In any case it's rather daunting to see 6 threads by the same person all created the same day. I suggest that you create no more than 2 threads a week. This however is still a lot, and personally I would suggest creating one roleplay and devoting much time to it's development.
*SIDE NOTE: It's also discouraging to click on a thread and have the description of the roleplay be a one post/paragraph generic description like: "Welcome to the Forest of Endoor. Races here are Ewoks, Humans, Wookies, and Droids. Pick one and fight for your right to exist." In general, people are more likely to join a roleplay that looks well thought out, but on the other hand you want to be a bit careful, especially if you're just beginning, to not get so in depth with your descriptions that you scare people away.

Creator Disregard: This is a major symptom of AWD, which you will learn about soon. This large problem encompasses and is the root of many smaller problems. Basically, this involves doing something critical to some part of the story that only the roleplay’s creator should do. In rare cases, the roleplay’s creator may not mind, but they usually do. Such examples include introducing a new plot element, creating a monster fight(Encounter Synthesis), destroying the setting (Setting Disregard), changing character focus (AWD), and many more.

Encounter Synthesis:Like Creator Disregard this is also a large part of AWD. This is part of a much larger problem that slightly overlaps AWD and Setting Disregard. Encounter Synthesis in and of itself means creating a battle with some random monsters when you feel like it. Most roleplay creators will find this offensive as you will be moving their roleplay without them. The larger problem can be called Creator Disregard.

Attention Whore Disorder (AWD): *dons a white coat and places an xray on a light table* As you can see, this disorder occurs mostly in new roleplayers, and while not many people will admit it, most of us have been there at one point. This is the person in the roleplay that seasoned (Nani? You mean like with salt, pepper, some soy sauce and onions?) roleplayers want desperately to kill on occasion. <-This is however illegal, so most refrain, which is good, as the disorder is easily cured, and the "AWD" patient can eventually become a fully functioning member of the roleplay.
Symptoms: Roleplayers with AWD feel an intense need to be everywhere at once. Often, if they aren't the center of attention at that moment in time, they will create a diversion such as: "Joe Schmo watched as the others worked together. 'I'm useless' he thought to himself, and ran away into the bushes to cry." <-not only is this a pointless angst pit, but it doesn't contribute to the roleplay at all. AWD's may also push plot lines their own way without first consulting with the threadmaker to ask permission. Godmoding and AWD sometimes go hand in hand as well.

If you think you have AWD: That's good! It means you recognize the problem, which is in this case the first step to the solution. When you write a post, before hitting the shiny Submit button, ask yourself "Does this contribute to the roleplay? Does this drastically change the plot to focus on my character? Is this necessary?" Simply thinking through this and practice can greatly reduce symptoms.
If someone you know has AWD: If they are in your thread, politely PM them and ask them to run plot changes/subplots past you before posting them. If the problem persists, you may wish to direct them to this thread, but always be polite, the idea is to help them change, not beat them into the ground.
If that doesn't work:Try the new miracle drug Proginatoravox*

*Proginatoravox may cause agitation, palpitations, excessive salivation, constipation, male lactation, rust-colored urination, hallucinations, bad vibrations, mild electric shock sensations, deprivation, humiliation, debtor's prison, and deportation, dark depictions, dire predictions, life as seen in Dickin's fiction, empty pockets, court dockets, may cause eyes to fall from sockets, rising taxes, poor liability insurance, drowsiness, and headache

Unbeatable Raider

Easy Solutions to General Problems
With contributions from Yoder

Proofread: I'm not sure that I could possibly ever stress this enough! So you've made this post, and you're ready to hit submit, before you do: Read through your post once more. Don't skim, check for punctuation that you might have missed or misplaced. Check that it says exactly what you want to say. Don't forget to read the latest posts (which are on the bottom of the Post A Reply screen) to be sure that your post makes sense as well. Taking this extra time may help you remember something important you wanted to include.

Spelling: This one is tetchy as everyone has different spelling abilities. My best friend for instance (who just graduated high school) couldn't spell "Fantasy" if his life depended on it. Contrary to some beliefs, spelling is very important as simply misspellings may cause mass confusion! There are easy ways to ensure you've spelled things right too. My personal preference is to use Mozilla Firefox 2, which has a spellchecker built in, so that as you type it will underline in red, that which is misspelled. This also helps pick up simple typos. Download Firefox Free here There are plenty of other ways to spellcheck and all of them are quick and easy so there really isn't any excuse:
IE Spell: A spell-check add-on for Internet Explorer 7
GNU Aspell(Alternate): A spell-check add-on for Opera
Tiny Spell: A spell-check program for all Windows programs
Spell-Check: How to use Linux's built-in spell-check
Spell-Check: How to enable Mac's built-in spell-check

One Liners/Posts that don't make sense: Read the other people's posts, all the way through! If you're in a roleplay where people make huge posts and you're consistently doing one liners, they may get annoyed with you. Simply take more time per post, think about what your character is doing, where they are, what they're thinking, it is almost always possible to post at LEAST 3 sentences. Just remember: Every time you post a one liner, God kills a kitten. PSYCHE! Seriously: Every time you post a one liner, it just gives other people less to work off of.

Avoiding Interrupted Posts: Everybody hates when they hit the “submit” button and somebody else just posted while you were typing up your post (meaning that you‘ll have to edit your post). To fix, write up your post in another program. Then, click “reply,” paste it in the box , and hit “submit.” This will lessen the chance of somebody posting while your posting screen is up (which prevents you from seeing that they had posted).

Unbeatable Raider

How To Choose A RolePlay!

Now that you know proper etiquette, you're eager to get out into the main forum and pick a roleplay right? That's great! But then you get out there, and it's like being in a huge shopping mall, where everyone is advertising, everything looks bright and shiny, and you don't know where to start!

Don't despair! Go through these questions in your mind before joining a roleplay:

1. Do I have a character in mind already that I want to fit into a specific type of roleplay or am I going to create a character based on the roleplay?

2. What setting do I want to use?

3. Are there other people in this roleplay that I want to roleplay with, perhaps that I've roleplayed with in the past, or do I want to try new people?

4. Does it look well thought out, do I understand the setting/storyline?

5. Can I agree to the threadmaker's rules/literacy level?

6. How fast does the roleplay move? -this one may require you to watch it for a couple days before deciding to join in-

7. Is it [A], [NA] etc?

8. Can I create a character to fit this/Will my character mesh well with others here?

9. How far along is the storyline and will I need an update to get my character into the storyline?

Once you've been through all these questions, you should decide to apply or choose a different roleplay.

General Earmarks of a Good Roleplay*

-Most good roleplays look well thought out. They may have multiple posts for storyline, profiles, rules, etc.
-Pay attention to the profile you're required to fill out for application (if necessary) This can actually be a fairly good gauge of the type of roleplay you'll be in. If people are writing a lot in profiles, and that's what you like, then that's great!
-Dedicated roleplayers. If you see a 30 page roleplay that's been up for 3 months and still has active posters, that's fantastic, especially if the posts are of a reasonable size.

*these are generalizations, not all roleplays exhibiting these characteristics may be what you're looking for

Unbeatable Raider

Character Creation Guides
whee Coming Soon! whee

Merlinic Matrices' Character Guide

Unbeatable Raider

How to Fill Out An Application/Profile

With a sample profile from Merlinic Matrices

For the most part, filling out a profile is easy as pie. (Pie is easy?) Yes. Pie is easy, and tasty to boot.

To fill out a profile, first read through ALL of the posts made by the threadmaker, before he/she started the roleplay. Usually by doing so you will learn how the threadmaker wants you to apply. Some may want you to fill out a profile skeleton (like the one seen below), and post it in the thread. Others may ask you to PM the completed profile to them, and others may not require you to fill out a profile skeleton at all, but simply make an opening post.

Sometimes in the Rules area of a thread, the threadmaker may put something like: "Use the title 'My cow has brains in it's legs!' for the PM so I know you've read the rules." or they may request you use a specific emoticon or other signal that shows you've read the rules of the thread. For this reason it is even more important to read rules.

Often when a threadmaker gives a profile skeleton, they will explain what each bullet means. Below is my personal favorite profile skeleton, created by Merlinic Matrices for one of her roleplays. I like this one because it explains some good basic suggestions for generally being a better roleplayer too:

-Gaia name:
-Character name: (it really irks me when people go "if you don’t know what this is, you're too stupid for this roleplay." Really now. Aren't they stupid for thinking they need to say that? After all, if a person really is that unbelievably stupid, you think you could tell from oh, the rest of the profile. Anyway. Make sure it fits in with the fantasy world thing.)
-Age: (How many years young are you? Actually, that irks me too. Heheh. Avoid fifteen/sixteen if you're debating.)
Appearance: (remember height and weight and all that good stuff. And details.)
-History/personality: (I like to think of the two as having something to do with one another, hence why they get to share a colon. And gimme lotsa details. Edit: Allow me to specify that this is the area that most people like to jump off the cliche cliff. Suggestions: If at all possible, have your character's parents live. Avoid other major sources of shallow angst. That kind of thing.)
-What would the character do if/when his/her mother died? And feel, for that matter.
-Assuming he/she has at least a little money, where does he/she get it from?
-What are the chances this character could solve a Rubik's cube?
-How high could the character count before he/she got bored or distracted?
-What has the character saved or kept around over his/her life?
-What's the oddest thing he/she owns?
-Will he/she eat beef?
-What would the character say if I randomly walked up and pinched him or her while sticking my tongue out and making sounds like a dying rhinoceros?

Once you've sent your profile in, don't be surprised if the threadmaker asks you to clarify things or change them slightly. If the threadmaker asks you to make too many changes to your character so that in the end it's no longer YOUR character, you can withdraw your application. Don't be worried by small adjustment though, sometimes you'll end up with a much better character!

Unbeatable Raider

Suggestions for Starting Your Own Roleplay

Hi guys and gals, Gale OverDrive, finally getting on with this RP Creation 101 thing. I will be giving some pointers and tips on how to create a fairly well-thought out RP that will be sure to attract your target audience (not definite, lol). I’m going to try and make this as simple and as understable as pie, so you might want to buckle your seatbelts for a quick ride. And let’s get started . . . *You hear the sounds of knuckles cracking as the screen begins to change, and the lights begin to dim. Only an eerie glow can be seen from the person standing in front of the screen . . . He seems to be smiling devilishly, and his eyes are a hellish red.*

RolePlay Creation 101: Starting out with a brand-new roleplay

If it’s your first time in creating a roleplay, don’t worry much about it. People will not hate you for it, and most will even give you constructive criticism. I, for one, will help you create one if you so ask me for said help. I am always willing to help anyone with nearly anything, given that I have time to do it. I remember creating my first RP . . ., it wasn’t that great either, although people did join it. What’s important is that you are interested and have fun in creating the RP. We’ll get into more details later, but for now, try to get your feet damp by following this guide.

Phase 1: Choose a genre

This is mostly the part where you’ll have a raging internal debate with yourself. Do I choose fantasy, or reality? Fact or fiction? Is it going to be Sci-Fi, Modern or Medieval? Should I create it from a well-known series, or be incredibly original (good luck with this one!)? Maybe I’ll have a mix of some of them . . .(think twice before attempting!) Another question you might have is: Video game, or Anime series?

The main point is, the genre you choose will affect your target audience (i.e. people who might join your RP). Most girls don’t play video games that aren’t RPGs (yay Final Fantasy!), and some guys will not watch an anime called “Akazukin Cha-Cha”(wtf is that?). Some people might not like original roleplays, because those tend to be hard to comprehend because everything was made by the creator; some people hate series-based roleplays for the fact that they consider it unoriginal and predictable. It’s hard to try and get everyone to join your RP because everyone has their preferences on what type of genre they like. In essence, the genre chosen will most definitely set the stage for who would want to join your RP. BUT WAIT! There’s even more to consider . . .

Phase 2: Choose the setting for the RP
It’s time for you to take your genre chosen, and choose when and where it’s going to happen. In here, it’s definitely possible to start mixing up some genres, such as: a Fantasy-based RP with Modern world settings, or a Medieval-based RP with Futuristic characters and weapons.

This part involves a slight bit of research as YOU are going to be the one to lay out the foundations of your RP. How much prospective Rpers understand the world you are going to create will depend on this part of the creation process. Usually, you will need to put lots of detail and description into your created setting, so that people can easily visualize the world they will be RPing in. Something like: “A world overridden with madness and strife, though heroes exist, they are rare. A conflict-filled city of ruffians. This is where you start” may not work thoroughly with most people.

Phase 3: Start off the plot of the Roleplay
It’s time for you to create a storyline for your RP with the desired genre and setting. You will want to focus on specifics, such as: is it an open-, or close-ended story? Or, what’s the main conflict in the RP? Is it people against people, people against nature, or people against themselves? This is where you let imagination fly, or be as much as a copy-cat as a shadow clone. People will get a taste of the world you created in this part of the RP creation process.

You can do this in one of two ways: One is to create the entire storyline the RP is going to go through in one go, therefore creating a ‘closed’, and straight storyline. This is for people who want to control all aspects of the RP. The other way is to create a start-off point, but then create the rest of the storyline as the storyline moves forward. This is known as the ‘flexible and open’ RP storyline. I very much favor the 2nd path, but it is very hard to do and you might need prior experience before attempting it, otherwise your RP might fall into pieces.

This part can make or break your roleplay. Often times, one paragraph story lines are enough to get someone involved, but people who know better will consider that n00bish, inexperienced, even just plain lazy. Try to avoid condensing your plot into paragraph; a good and well thought-out plot should be about the size of a one-page essay. And the other suggestion that goes with the one I just said is: Avoid dragging stories; who would want to RP after reading an incomprehensible 10-page storyline that circled around the main point of the RP? Would you? Would you consider the RP creator an experienced one? I wouldn’t. Now don’t be like that, k? *pats on the head*

Phase 4: Mechanics of the RP
This is where you lay the smackdown on the RULES of the RP. Whether you have complete reign over the storyline and your RP, or if its a free-for-all for everyone in it, it’s up to your discretion. You also lay down regulations for what rpers can and cannot do in your RP. Usually, you use basic rules, such as the ones in the Gaia and RPR ToS. And sometimes, there are also gentleman’s agreements that most Rpers should know already, such as: issues relating god-modding, player-killing, auto-hits and dodges, creation and conflict synthesis, and creator disregard. It is up to you to make sure that players know the rules of the game in your particular RP, because they don’t have to necessarily be the same as the next RP over.

Rules are an integral part of a well-functioning RP, without them, there would be anarchy and chaos, and so I advise you to try and cover all loop-holes as early as possible. This isn’t the devil’s contract, you know . . . though I would love to find loop holes in that thing . . . hmmm . . .>.> . . .<.< . . . *goes off to find loop holes in the devil’s contract*.

Phase 5: Character Creation System
Now, onwards to building a character frame for the players that will be generated in your RP. It’s your job to tell the prospective players what you want for their RP representations, whether they’ll have weapons or skills or special powers or not is up to you. This is largely affected by the genre and setting of the RP. There are, however a few key things that you should always have in a profile skeleton.

Name – this one is self explanatory, as all living things need a name. Try avoid, however, the use of names that stem from your own screen name, as that creates unnecessary sentimental ties to that character. You know what they say: Variety is the spice of life.

Appearance – The part the usually contains a visual description of what an RP character looks like. It might contain parts about armor and weapons and accessories used in combat. Some creators would be fine with just putting in a picture for this part. But for some reason, I have a seething hate for those kinds of people. Also for those who only write down the basics, (i.e. A black coat, with long silver hair and a katana on his back), I demand description and detail! For description breeds training, training builds experience, experience builds maturity, and maturity builds literacy! DO not join the dark side!

Age – Something just to measure how old a person is. Really, some creators don’t even put this in here, and instead, start to put it alongside with appearance. Very self-explanatory, really.

Bio/History – Again, like appearance, no one-liners. Remember the chain I stated above. A longer bio would give more insight as to why a certain character would act that way, but treat it like a storyline, do not include any extraneous instances in your biographies. Too long of a biography and the person reading it would cringe. Please don’t make anyone’s eyes bleed. Thank you.

Personality – You might or might not have this part in your profile skeleton. This part itself is self-explanatory. There are very few things available to describe what this part encompasses, but in essence this part is how a certain character will act and react to certain situations, and how that same character will speak and what type of emotions they might commonly show. Some experienced RP creators choose to forego this part as they see Personality as something to be developed and discovered during the duration of the RP.

Weapons/Skills/Spells – This part is entirely up to what you need in the roleplay itself. Just remember that people tend to go off on a tangent in this part and start to create multitudes of spells/skills, or even ‘supersize’ (god-mod) their weapons, armor, skills and spells. Regulate this part according to what you want and according to what the RP needs.

Remember that this list isn’t final and you may add or take out sections to the profile skeleton depending on what your RP needs, or what you want.
And that’s basically the composition of a very bare-bones RP. Now all you need are a few players, and you’ll be good to go. Okay? Good luck with Rping, and if you ever need help, then contact me.

Unbeatable Raider

CREATING A MAGIC SYSTEM
In most fantasy roleplays, you will likely wish to include some sort of magic. Including magic can be fun, but it can also be taxing. Many leave magic as a very open-ended subject, letting those who join decide upon how the magic will work for their character. It is important to clearly define how your magic system works so less confusion will surface later. I will cover Basic Magic Concepts, Spell-Casting Procedure Methods, Accessories, Limitations, and Elemental Inclusion.

(I) Basic Magic Concepts
These govern the entire origin of magical energy in your magic system. It is important to take great care and detail when choosing an area and tweaking it to your needs, because this is the basis for the your whole magic system. There are 3 main divisions of magic that I have compiled: Inner, Outer, and Object. Usually a magic system will feature a combination of these 3 to varying degrees, but the choice is all up to you.
(1.) INNER
Inner Magic deals with spells that derive their energy from the individual. Such concepts as Chakra emphasize such an inner energy. To perform a spell, one must usually focus and release their inner energy to achieve the desired effect. This source of inner energy is usually limited but can be restored through rest or nourishment. The user's physical fortitude does hinder the use of Inner Magic, because it is directly linked with physical fortitude. The basis for inner energy is upon the physical and mental/emotional energy that we use throughout every day.
(2.) OUTER
Outer Magic deals with spells that derive their energy from everything around them. Such concepts as Chi emphasize such an outer energy. To perform a spell, one must usually will and channel the outer energy to achieve the desired effect. This source of magic is usually ever-replenishing, being scarce in some areas due to many spells being cast in tandem. The user's physical fortitude will most likely hinder the use of Outer Magic, because great amounts of strength are required to command the loose/free energy. The basis for outer energy is upon how air flows through our atmosphere and is used by our bodies.
(3.) OBJECT
Object Magic deals with spells that derive their energy from artifacts that contain and radiate magical energy. To my knowledge, no existing real-world concept emphasizes such an object energy, though it is related to in a myriad of myths and the like. To perform a spell, one must somehow intelligently utilize an artifact to achieve the desired effect. This source of magic is usually limited but can be recharged by various means. The user's physical fortitude does not hinder the use of Object Magic, as it usually requires little strength. The basis for object energy might be upon radioactivity and how waves pass through and react to matter.

(II) Spell-Casting Procedure Methods
Spell-casting is usually done by some expression of the caster. While not using any is possible, these will usually be utilized efficiently. This is a list of procedures possible to perform the casting of a spell. I have thought of 3 main categories: Vocal, Manual (Tactile and Physical), and Visual.
(1.) VOCAL
Vocal casting involves recitations, invocations, incantation, and chants. The purpose is to proclaim a certain word or phrase aloud. Usually, the louder spoken, the better. The longer the phrase, the stronger the spell. While vocal casting may be said mentally, that is commonly reserved for very skilled magic users.
(2.) MANUAL
Manual casting, divided into Tactile and Manual, deals with actions.
(A) TACTILE
Tactile casting deals with executing a sequence of hand signs and/or body positions. Usually, the clearer the hand signs and/or body positions, the better. The more steps in a chain of hand signs and/or body positions, the stronger the spell. To avoid misunderstanding, I will provide an example: "To cast a spell, one might have to squat and clasp their hands tightly."
(B) PHYSICAL
Physical casting deals with motions, striking objects, and maybe even dancing. Usually, the more detailed the ritual, the better. The longer it takes to perform a ritual, the stronger the spell. Since this is a more confusing and vague area, I will provide an example: "To cast a spell, one might have to run in a circle around a flame while brandishing their sword mightily."
(3.) VISUAL
Visual casting encompasses symbols drawn and words written on some medium. The purpose is to relate a geometric or odd shapes to a spell. Usually, the more defined the drawing, the better. The more intricate the symbol, the more powerful the spell. While visual casting may be pictured mentally, that is commonly reserved for very skilled magic users. If using words, it could simply be a different form of Vocal casting, seeing as the same words could be either spoken or written.

(III) Accessories
These by definition, are not necessary, and many magic systems will work fine without their presence. I have brought together the 4 most common based upon purpose: Assistants, Informants, Catalysts, and Vessels.
(1.) ASSISTANTS
Assistant Accessories are used for the purpose of channeling magical energy. While their are many reasons for including Assistants, it is normally to reduce (or even negate) the limitations of or to increase the magnitude, duration, or range of a spell. Archetypically, staves, wands, rods, canes, rods, crooks, and other stick-like apparatus are used.
(2.) INFORMANTS
Informant Accessories are used for the purpose of providing information on the spells contained within. The reason for including Informants is normally to help in the memory of a spell's casting procedure. Archetypically, grimoires, tomes, scrolls, and other book-like mediums are used.
(3.) CATALYSTS
Seemingly similar to Assistants, Catalyst Accessories are used for the purpose of somehow changing or altering magical energy that flows through it. The reason for including Catalysts is normally to allow various miscellaneous effects to affect a spell cast through its use. Archetypically, orbs, gems, and other strange or obscure objects are used.
(4.) VESSELS
The very focus of Object Magic, Vessel Accessories are ordinarily non-magical items that serve as hosts for magical energies. The primary reason for including Vessels is to provide a way to carry a pre-cast spell around that takes effect under special circumstances. The item is, commonly through a magical ceremony, filled/imbued/enhanced/enchanted/empowered/saturated/permeated with magical energies. While the magical energies within are not unlimited, they will either slowly regenerate or need to be manually recharged. Archetypically, weaponry, armor, clothing and jewelry are used.

(IV) Spell Limitations
Almost always, roleplay creators choose to place limits upon magic through various means (if not a part of the plot or magic system, then to provide balance as a roleplay mechanic). This can be achieved in different ways. I have organized the 9 most significant limitations: Mana Cost, Cast Time, Malfunction, Disabilities, Prerequisites, Complexity, Specifics, Laws, and Principles. A good magic system will implement many of these, but there are many exceptions.
(1.) MANA COST
This is probably the most important limitation to place. Basically, from whatever form of energy your magic system draws, there has to be limit. This can be either upon the energy's remaining amount itself or upon the individual's stamina. This is usually scaled according to a spell's magnitude, duration, and range. Such, powerful, long, and far-range spells will cost much more than weak, short, and close-range spells. There should always be a cost for any spell.
(2.) CAST TIME
Another good limitation, it defines the time involved in spell-casting or preparation thereof. Cast Time can be divided into 2 areas: Warm-Up and Cool-Down. Warm-Up is the time before and during the casting of the spell (but before its effect is manifested). Cool-Down is the time after a spell's manifestation has ended before another spell may be cast. Insta-casts, spells with no cast time, have their place, but they should mainly be used with either weak spells or when other limitations satisfactorily limit the spell's use.
(3.) MALFUNCTION
This limitation is useful for unrefined and unpracticed spells. Possible Malfunction balances out powerful spells as well, because all the other limitations that go into casting the spell might be wasted if the effect does not work properly. Malfunction may also occur when certain prerequisites aren't met, or if the casting of the spell is somehow interrupted. The basic areas of malfunction are Backfire, Failure, and Diminish. Backfire means that the effects of the cast spell are redirected to you instead of the target. Alternatively, if a spell that is meant to be cast upon yourself backfires, it would redirect to another entity. Failure is simply when the effect of the cast spell doesn't happen. Diminish decreases the effect of the cast spell, reducing its magnitude, duration, or range.
(4.) DISABILITIES
This limitation covers boundaries placed when a spell has been cast. For instance, a given spell might require that the caster stay motionless for its duration. So, the caster will be unable to move. The most common use of Disability is mandating that no spell can be cast while the effects of another are still being manifested. For more potent spells, the price might even be loss of one of the 5 senses or stunted health. There are numerous other possible disabilities that can be applied to spells.
(5.) PREREQUISITES
An overlooked limitation, it governs the conditions necessary for a spell's effect to be manifested. It is often the precursor of the 2 Manual Spell-Casting Methods. As an example, a spell might require direct contact with the target; so the prerequisite limitation for casting that spell is that the caster be within contact distance of the target. Prerequisites have several other auxiliary uses during the spell-casting process.
(6.) COMPLEXITY
This limitation is either not considered often or is naturally woven into other aspects of your magic system. Regardless, I felt it needed mention here. Complexity is the gauge of the difficulty of correctly remembering and properly performing spell-casting procedure methods. While Informant Accessories can alleviate this problem somewhat, you then must keep your accessory safe, have the time to find the information within, and comprehend what is read. Complexity also affects situations where time is important, such as in mid-battle and while sneaking around. So, Complexity may also cause an increase in the regular Warm-Up Cast Time of a spell.
(7.) SPECIFICS
Occasionally, the very nature of a spell's effect poses a problem for the caster. For instance, a spell might only affect those with a certain trait. Such, nobody else would be affected, and there's nothing that can be done to change that. This is a strong limitation for spells that would otherwise be too great. It should be used but cautiously. In example, a given spell might impede genetic water-breathing ability; so those belonging to a race of amphibious people would suffer while solely land-dwellers wouldn't be affected.
(8.) LAWS
Though not a true limitation to any spell itself, it does affect their use. Laws are governmental orders and rules that pertain to the use of magic in the roleplay world. Maybe all forms of spell-casting would be illegal in certain towns. Certain groups of spells may not be allowed during the day.
(9.) PRINCIPLES
Magical principles are certain standards that a magic system follows inherently. These principles are made of different aspects of your magic system made universal. They are usually for the purpose of imposing a certain mechanic upon all members in your roleplay. These is more important for the more obscure magic in your system, like abjuration, transmutation, and apothecary.

(V) Elemental Inclusion
Including elements in a magic system is vastly popular, but remember to keep balance in check. A majority of these will feature the 4 classical western elements of air, water, earth, and fire. Naturally, no elemental system is restricted to these. There are a nearly infinite number of variations and possibilities such as electricity, ice, vapor, nature, sand, lava, metal, and sound. I purposely chose to not have any magic types relating to pure, light, or dark magic listed, because I feel that they aren't the same as other elements (concerning balance, especially cyclic harmony). Whatever the choice of elements, there are 4 serious considerations: Environmental Reliance, Cyclic Harmony, Tolerances, and Affinities.
(1.) ENVIRONMENTAL RELIANCE
A field that is nearly always left vague is Environment Reliance. Environmental Reliance is simply the need for a pre-existing elemental source. The two choices are either Synthesis or Terra. Synthesis is independent of environmental conditions, while Terra is reliant upon the sate of the environment. Air- and Earth-based magic usually don't encounter the problem of environmental reliance, but water- and fire-based magic need the clarification. Since what I've said so far isn't terribly clear, I will give an example. If your magic system follows synthesis, a fire spell will work no matter where it is used (unless underwater, of course). However, if your magic system follows terra, a fire spell will need to draw from an existing substantial source of flame.
(2.) CYCLIC HARMONY
Cyclic Harmony maintains a balance of elements in a magic system. To put it simply, for every element, one element dominates it and another element is dominated by it. Often increased or decreased damage is associated with the relationships in the cycle. When arranged, they make a cycle of superiority and inferiority. If there is an even number of elements in the cycle, every element will have its polar opposite.
(3.) TOLERANCES
Tolerances are a way of making a character resistant against one element and vulnerable against its opposite (it must be proportional to be fair). Naturally, having more protection against an element (like thick clothing against cold magic) isn't the same as a true elemental tolerance. Choosing to make characters equally tolerant of all elements is fine, as it is still equal to utilizing tolerances. Whether or not to give your players the option of elemental tolerances is a tough choice.
(4.) AFFINITIES
These are quite similar to Resistances, but they deal with casting, not receiving, spells. Affinities are a way of making a character exceptionally talented at one element and extremely horrible at its opposite (it must be proportional to be fair). Obviously, a character using an element more frequently (because they happen to know more spells of that element) doesn't define an affinity. Choosing to make characters equally talented at all elements is fine, as it is still equal to utilizing affinities. Whether or not to give your players the option of elemental affinities is a tough choice.

^a zillion thanks to Yoder!

Unbeatable Raider

sweatdrop The Top Things We Wish Someone Had Told Us Earlier sweatdrop

With contributions from Gale OverDrive, Mou, Magni Prime, and Yoder

The process of becoming a good roleplayer is just that, a process. You never really get to a point where you stop learning or incorporating new things. We are still developing as roleplayers, but as of now, in retrospect of how we used to be, we'd like to share with you the top things that we wish someone had told us earlier that helped up progress as roleplayers.

1.::The Power of Variety::.
When I first started roleplaying I was very exclusive in the types of roleplays I was in and in the type of character I chose to play. 90% of the roleplays I was in had the same setting, and most of the characters I used had the same name. It was amazing when I finally tried a male character for instance, what a difference it made in all my other characters even. In addition to being my first male character, he was part of the first rp that I participated in a modern setting.
Moral: Don't be afraid to try new things ever! It's like with foods, if you go through your whole life eating only yellow cake because you like it, then you'll never get to experience carrot, or chocolate, or pineapple upside down cakes. Expand your tastes!

2.::The Power of Limitation::.
*looks up at the headline* hmmm, oxymoronic. But it's true. This was something that I discovered more recently than I would've liked. When creating a character or a setting, it is important to keep limitations in consideration. For instance, in a fantasy setting with magic, where does the magic stop? Can it return people from the dead or can't it? Another reason to keep limitations in consideration is to avoid godmoding when creating a character. Let's say your character has healing ability. How far does it go? Can he/she heal absoluely anything? Sometimes it's no fun for you or anyone else in the roleplay when a character has an all-powerful healing ability, because it reduces the drama or branch plots that may have been forming. Your character has healing, but what if she/he can't heal broken bones? What is the effect of using this power as well? Does it make him/her tired, could it ultimately kill her/him?
Moral: When creating a character or setting, be sure to set reasonable limitations, they can help your character develop more!

3.::*The Power of Research*::.
as suggested by Mou and Yoder
This bullet gets stars around it because it is probably the most important thing anyone could tell you. Research, research, research! Perhaps the best example of this that I know of is my Galvan II application. My character, due to a quirk of my brain, was destined to have the power to spontaneously and painlessly dislocate all her joints. To work out exactly how she was going to do this took me about 3 hours on wikipedia, google, and a bunch of orthopeadic websites, as well as short talk with Yoder (who's relative is a doctor) on how to relocate a shoulder. The end result was that I had a fantastic understanding of how this character's internal make-up was different from other humans, what her limitations would be as such, and how it might effect her personality. Also if your character is in a setting other than that which immediately surrounds you, you should do some research on the surroundings. This is especially true for historical roleplays. Things to look up specifically: hygeine standards, what they ate, clothings styles, medical procedures, building types.
Moral: A little research goes along way in authenticating your roleplay, and can ultimately benefit you in the long run (I have actually used things I learned as a result of research for a roleplay in many of my history classes *wink wink*).

4.::The Power of Challenges::.
as suggested by Mou
Never be afraid of a challenge. Don't back down! Remember what was said earlier about variety, the same is true with challenges. So we all are still progressing toward being better roleplayers and there are always others out there who are better than you. One of the best ways to get better is to join a roleplay with moderate to high literacy level, maybe a two paragraph minimum per post. One of first times I realized this was in one of Ivellias roleplays (that was actually mentioned earlier I think), it didn't have a minimum post length (that I recall) but everyone in it was making absolutely beautiful fantastic posts of between 3-5 paragraphs. I felt bad because my posts were all of a rather mediocre length in my opinion, and it was getting frustrating. When I asked for help several people suggested that I take more time (up to a half-hour if necessary), and thought per post, and work on descriptions for instance. As a result my subsequent posts were much better, and now if I ever get "writer's block" I usually sit back and think for 10 or 15 minutes about where my character is and what he/she is doing.
Moral: Accepting reasonable challenges is one of the best ways to progress as a roleplayer.

5.::The Power of Originality::.
as suggested by Yoder
Roleplaying can be fantastic and exciting especially if you are really creative and let it get the best of you at times. There are lots and lots of roleplayers who use a "fill-in-the-blank" character, which is sort of like having a hundred copies of a picture of the same body, and everytime you want a new character, you make slight alterations like hair length. Be creative! Make a totally new character especially with the help of the character creation guide that was shown previously! Be creative in the type of roleplay you make too. It's crazy the number of roleplays that are vampire or naruto based. We really only need one roleplay of each type at a time, so be creative come up with something original, even if it's bizarre. Same goes with powers for characters. Take some time to brainstorm first. Some common powers are healing, pyrokinesis (control of fire), hydrokinesis(control of water), and control of weather.
Moral: Don't be afraid to come up with something completely off the wall and bizarre, sometimes it'll be much more fun, and this can add to the idea of limitations!

6.::The Power of Maturity::.
as suggested by Gale OverDrive
There are large differences between being a newbie, and being a n00B. nOOB's are probably one of the most annoying thing about roleplaying, for whatever reason they feel that they need constant attention to flaunt their stupidity. Don't do it. There is nothing wrong with being a newbie, everyone was at one point, but all forms of nOOB-ish behavior should be avoided. Simply be considerate of others and do your best to express maturity. This means when someone doesn't join your roleplay immediately, you don't need to lock the thread, and exhibit the "take my toys and go home" mentality. AWD, and taking things too personally is also not a good idea. Advertising for your roleplay is fine where permitted, but go easy on it, you don't need 4 threads to do so! Also go easy on the number of roleplays you create per week, it's generally better to have one really good well thought out roleplay then several slap-dash ones.
Moral: Use your common sense, and don't go out of your way to be obnoxious >.< Think things through before you post them (this includes OOC comments).

7.::The Power of Vocabulary::.
as suggested by Gale OverDrive
I couldn't agree with this more! Work to expand your vocabulary! Words are amazing, there are so many and even words that mean nearly the same thing still aren't like for instance the difference between the word "red" and "scarlet". Word choice is very important, by choosing to use "scarlet" instead of "red" maybe you're trying to imply that the dress that it's describing is more formal and fancy. There are even words for different types of walks: marching, sashaying, strutting, proceeding, ambling, wandering. Vocabulary is an essential part of character analysis, for instance, a general might march down the street, but I seriously doubt that a supermodel would!
Moral: Word choice is an important, though often overlooked part of roleplaying. This is another one that also comes in handy in real life! Follow the link to an online dictionary/thesaurus.*

*A thesaurus is NOT a kind of dinosaur unfortunately. Thesaurus' give you synonyms (words that mean almost the same) and antonyms(the opposites) of the word you entered. For instance, applying the word "bizarre" to the thesaurus, I came up with the synonyms: comical, curious, eccentric, extraordinary, fantastic, far out, freakish, grody*, grotesque, kooky, ludicrous, odd, oddball, off-beat, off-the-wall, outlandish, peculiar, queer, ridiculous, singular, unusual, way out, weird

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff